MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a foilkite fan

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 am

I've been using the 9 a lot - mostly as I sold my 12 to a client and we are waiting for more - mine is on the waiting list - They sold out europe wide and it takes a while for the production to catch up... I'm not saying this to aid promotion - but most importers were cautious at the start of the season and the fact is they were very well received - well enough that opening orders were immediately sold.

The 12 is quick, and fantastic in light winds (speaking as an intermediate level foiler). Since I lost the 12 though, I've had to use the 9, and I've been using it over the 12m 3 strut tube kites I have in light winds, as it's much faster and more stable in sub 9 knots. With an early foiling setup it's enough, and I have had some very light sessions indeed.

I have another good friend who is a very capable foiler and owns a quiver of clouds, some flyfurfer foils (new gen) and he has my second Ultra 9 demo. He likes all the aforementioned in their own way - but says that the tube kites give him greater freeride potential, and the Ultra's jump ability pips the Cloud for him if he were to choose a one model only option - but everyone has a different shopping list for sure... I'm certainly happy with the Ultra as coming from performance high wind tubes, they handle beautifully considering the wind we expect them to excel in..

Here are two vids, both of my demo 12 before I parted company - basic foiling vids with some friends who (like many) are just learning their way into the discipline. It gives you an idea of how they fly and what they look like in the air. Please don't slam the action - the majority of riders are new to this discipline, and expert ability aside, this is for me where the Ultra will steepen the progression curve significantly (certainly has to me).

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/221132095[/vimeo]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ptweQZcyj04[/youtube]

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby windsuks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:00 pm

We took a demo 12m Ultra out to Portugal in July, (one of our group trips we run there every year) thanks Mike!!.

Up till that trip I was happy with any regular 12m 3 strut kite but from day one it proved to be invaluable to the extent we begged to buy it on our return (thanks again Mike ;-) ), the stability in very light winds is simply amazing, really quite inspiring.

When your venturing out on a foil board in sub 10knots you need to have the utmost confidence in your kite, I'd also be keen to have at least one strut (rather than a non strut kite) in aiding the relaunch in the kite should you make a mistake in crashing it, this did actually prove it self on more than one occasion. The kite drifts so well in the lulls with no sign of it dropping like any "normal" kite!

The kite obviously packs down tiny too, making it an awesome travel kite too, mine went in one half of my holdall still with space in that half for wettie etc etc
I'd love to try the 9m too, I think this would make an amazing kite for wave and foil

Before this trip I was able to go back and forth but lacked both the skill and confidence on the foil to even think about carving around to toe side or gybing etc the combination of the P foil Shinn Jackson and the 12m Ultra was amazing and aloud me to have many days out with pretty much to just two of us out each session. It gave me the confidence to down loop the kite when gybing etc something that terrified me on other kites!

The aerial shots on the video below are all of my wife who was learning on the foil and again this kite aloud her to go out in the lightest of winds (she rarely uses bigger than a 9m normally) but was loving the 12m Ultra

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Anyone riding the 15 that can give us a review, still not much out there on the larger sizes.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Going out today on 15 later today, will post my thoughts

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Hey pikovsg , did you get to try the 15M ?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:34 am

Airush ultra is first kite w spectra fiber,
Now that got my attention ; what weight are they using ?
There basically is NO finer or stronger fiber , (in it's class) then spectra !!!

Bille

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

gbrungra wrote:Airush ultra is first kite w spectra fiber
That's demonstrably untrue.
Bille wrote:Now that got my attention ; what weight are they using ?
There basically is NO finer or stronger fiber , (in it's class) then spectra !!!

Bille
Agreed, but Dyneema is also UHMPWE and it's on basically every kite that doesn't use Kevlar.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Agreed, but Dyneema is also UHMPWE and it's on basically every kite that doesn't use Kevlar.
Kevlar is OK ; just keep it out of the sun. Kevlar kinda SUCKS in sunlight.

I asked about the spectra weight used on the kite, because woven spectra is kinda expensive,
and would make using it on a kite , sorta prohibitive.

Bille

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:32 am

After an early session with the FS Race 15 the wind picked up a bit and I finally could fly the Ultra 9 again. How much more fun you've got with a kite you can literally place anywhere and give or release power instantly! I didn't dare down-loop the FS Race to gibe yet, even with 21 m lines! - I really don't want to make my brand new kite wet. With the Ultra, no problem looping it, even when the kite is already low; it turns on a dime. Probably deserves the name Pivot more than Naish's kite :naughty:. Who cares going 15 degrees better upwind if you're not a racer and looking just to enjoy yourself and improve your moves with such ease? :eybrowe:
The ideal size for average conditions in Sanur would be a 12. That's what I want now! :P
If there's anything that could be improved with the next Ultra version (particularly the bigger sizes), it could be to make it less of a delta kite, so as to move its center of gravity further back. It might lose a bit in relaunchability but wouldn't have the tendency to drop when low in the window in light wind. I down't know how the drift would be affected, on the other hand.
2017-08-23_165756c.jpg

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm

^Love the polar charts, super helpful in visualizing the the kite characteristics. What's VMG (the inner dotted line) though?
Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm
Bille wrote:Now that got my attention ; what weight are they using ?

Bille
Dyneema and Spectra are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing. Just different brand names for the same stuff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”