cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Tricks for foil kite relaunch with floaty board in the way

Postby cwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I don't think there is any magic here but thought I would ask the question.

Situation: Light wind and dropped foil kite with a foil board with some volume (floaty) on your feet, blocking (eclipse) your view, lines up and over the board and poor resistance because the board stays on the surface. In the days of a big door like a flyrace you had a barn door under the water for lots of resistance and a clear view of the kite....in fact you kept the board on your feet at all costs.

I find this very frustrating...can't see the damn kite to manage the situation and you are bobbing along behind it. It may be that a body under the water is better resistance than a foil board on its edge....so push the board behind you and fight your battle?

What are others techniques?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tricks for foil kite relaunch with floaty board in the way

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah, it is tough to use a floaty foil board to push against. I sit on the board and use my arms to paddle backwards.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to get rid of the board, even temporarily. It can get away from you really fast, and then youre stuck with a naturally buoyant foil kite full of water and nothing to float it on. With the speed the foil board takes off on its own, you may never see it again.

I think your only option is to sit on the board and do your best to relaunch. Pushing the board away and swimming backwards increase your chance of relaunch, but if it doesnt relaunch, the risk of losing your board is too much.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:40 pm
Yeah, it is tough to use a floaty foil board to push against. I sit on the board and use my arms to paddle backwards.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to get rid of the board, even temporarily. It can get away from you really fast, and then youre stuck with a naturally buoyant foil kite full of water and nothing to float it on. With the speed the foil board takes off on its own, you may never see it again.

I think your only option is to sit on the board and do your best to relaunch. Pushing the board away and swimming backwards increase your chance of relaunch, but if it doesnt relaunch, the risk of losing your board is too much.
Yes, I actually have a reel leash that I put on a footstrap to keep the board with me. Amazing how fast they travel on their own :-) U will have to try getting up on the board...have not done that.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes just sit on the board. Ride it like a horse with your feet dangling. Relaunch becomes easy then.
:wink:
CG

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Others had told me to sit up on the board, but at first it didn't seem possible. After some practice though it's no problem. Now I can even wind up all the lines, untangle the bridles, put the kite in hot launch position, and unwind the lines a again all while balancing on the board.

I tried a leash at one point (only for relaunching in super light wind) but once I learned to sit on the board, i got rid of it

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm
Others had told me to sit up on the board, but at first it didn't seem possible. After some practice though it's no problem. Now I can even wind up all the lines, untangle the bridles, put the kite in hot launch position, and unwind the lines a again all while balancing on the board.

I tried a leash at one point (only for relaunching in super light wind) but once I learned to sit on the board, i got rid of it

Exactly - when you sit on the board, you can also sit with your side to the kite, angling the board a bit - so you got resistance from both the mast, your feet under water, and the edge of the board - thus having the best chances of a succesful relaunch, and also a clear view of things.
You need to sit on your board anyways, if too light wind to relaunch again, so you have to pack your lines and roll the foil kite up.

Even with a non-foil kite not possible to relaunch, sitting on the board is great, as you can steer a lot by pointing the mast to one side and pulling one of the rear lines, so you drift ashore exactly where you want to end up.
This can be done both with floaty boards, as well as small boards where you are halfway down under the water - still works.

8) PF

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm
davesails7 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Exactly - when you sit on the board, you can also sit with your side to the kite, angling the board a bit - so you got resistance from both the mast, your feet under water, and the edge of the board - thus having the best chances of a succesful relaunch, and also a clear view of things.
You need to sit on your board anyways, if too light wind to relaunch again, so you have to pack your lines and roll the foil kite up.

Even with a non-foil kite not possible to relaunch, sitting on the board is great, as you can steer a lot by pointing the mast to one side and pulling one of the rear lines, so you drift ashore exactly where you want to end up.
This can be done both with floaty boards, as well as small boards where you are halfway down under the water - still works.

8) PF
Will try this out!

Return to “Hydrofoil”