Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

forum for kitesurfers


cellfred
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:09 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Fehmarn/SPO
Brand Affiliation: UNITY Snowboards
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby cellfred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey Guys,

I found all the comparisons between Evo, Vader and Vanguard quite interesting.

But here's the catch: I ride an older Firewire Hellfire in 5'8 usually with quad fins. I clock in at around 100kg and ride mainly northern European chaos waves.

Anyone got a word of comparison between my current setup and especially the Evo?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 am
I got a Vader in Helium tech.
Weight is pretty insane for a kiteboard.

Image

No dents after 10 sessions or so.
So it seems to hold up to my abuse.
Are you doing strapless airs?

effisk
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador
Location: France
Contact:

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby effisk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:16 am
I got a Vader in Helium tech.
Weight is pretty insane for a kiteboard.

Image

No dents after 10 sessions or so.
So it seems to hold up to my abuse.
what size is that? I weighed my 5'1 out of the box at 2.835kg

topmick
Frequent Poster
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
Sunova
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby topmick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I weighed my 5'3 Hevo & same size demo Evo in FST back to back.
HEVO was only a slightly lighter, no huge weight difference.

Been surfing/kiting my 5'3 for 6 months now & it still looks as new.

User avatar
Jan:)
Frequent Poster
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby Jan:) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm
Are you doing strapless airs?
Yeah, even had some pretty bad landings on this one.
Time will tell how well thay last.
effisk wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 pm
what size is that? I weighed my 5'1 out of the box at 2.835kg
5'1

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados
Style: Free to do what ever I want
Gear: Airush Wave, Union II & III, Varial X and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds

Shinn Bronq, Airush Converse 6' 2015. Firewire 5'3" Evo Helium, Circle one SB
Brand Affiliation: None. I use what I like
Location: Bath, UK

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

I recently got myself a 5'3" EVO in Helium. I didn't bother weighing it, I'm anal, but not that anal.

I'm 96kgs and not a fantastic rider, but I have to say, this board is pretty damn good at my local, which is mostly wind blown waves, mid height. A lot of chop, which the EVO just smooths out.
Took a couple of sessions to get the feel of it. My previous board is an Airush Converse 6'1" and found it lacked a little in lighter winds. It's lovely in real waves, and loves bigger winds.
I got the EVO for winds the Converse wouldn't work for me, eg, sub 23kts.

Have had three sessions out on the EVO, in winds from mid teens to mid 20's and it's just so nice, it doesn't stall as easily as the Converse in those lower winds. Much less pearling. = Happy days.
I let another guy at my local have a go on it, he came back frothing, saying "that's the best strapless board I've ever ridden" (I have to agree) and "I have never said that about any other board". He liked it so much he would have bought one there and then.

I'm currently using cheap plastic fins, bought a 5 fin pack setup, because I wasn't sure what I wanted. I'm used to tri fins, so have set it up like that so far. I will probably try quad soon, but I have to admit, this board is sublime so far. It carves the bottom turn so tight, I've yet to get any real top turns in on it.


I can see why they very rarely come up second hand.

magnusod
Rare Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: One Eye, Manawa, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: FOne Mitu, North Nugget CSC, Airush Wave, Naish Pivot
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby magnusod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:16 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
I recently got myself a 5'3" EVO in Helium. I didn't bother weighing it, I'm anal, but not that anal.

I'm 96kgs and not a fantastic rider, but I have to say, this board is pretty damn good at my local, which is mostly wind blown waves, mid height. A lot of chop, which the EVO just smooths out.
Took a couple of sessions to get the feel of it. My previous board is an Airush Converse 6'1" and found it lacked a little in lighter winds. It's lovely in real waves, and loves bigger winds.
I got the EVO for winds the Converse wouldn't work for me, eg, sub 23kts.

Have had three sessions out on the EVO, in winds from mid teens to mid 20's and it's just so nice, it doesn't stall as easily as the Converse in those lower winds. Much less pearling. = Happy days.
I let another guy at my local have a go on it, he came back frothing, saying "that's the best strapless board I've ever ridden" (I have to agree) and "I have never said that about any other board". He liked it so much he would have bought one there and then.

I'm currently using cheap plastic fins, bought a 5 fin pack setup, because I wasn't sure what I wanted. I'm used to tri fins, so have set it up like that so far. I will probably try quad soon, but I have to admit, this board is sublime so far. It carves the bottom turn so tight, I've yet to get any real top turns in on it.


I can see why they very rarely come up second hand.
Sonny, as you're almost only on Airush gear, did you ever test ride the Cypher and if so how do you rate that board compared to the Evo? I had a test ride on the 2016 Cypher 5'4 and was quite impressed by its light wind capabilities even at my weight being 95 kgs.
I've also been looking at a board for sub 20 knots and mushier waves. Been reading a lot of great reviews about the Evo but never had a chance to try it. Sort of choosing between the Evo and Cypher, and the Cypher mainly due to that there are some really good deals on that board.

User avatar
Jan:)
Frequent Poster
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby Jan:) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
I recently got myself a 5'3" EVO in Helium. I didn't bother weighing it, I'm anal, but not that anal.
I made it a habit of weighing all my boards when they are new and writing the numbers down.
It is the only way to know if your board has taken on water after a ding.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados
Style: Free to do what ever I want
Gear: Airush Wave, Union II & III, Varial X and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds

Shinn Bronq, Airush Converse 6' 2015. Firewire 5'3" Evo Helium, Circle one SB
Brand Affiliation: None. I use what I like
Location: Bath, UK

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm

magnusod wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Sonny, as you're almost only on Airush gear, did you ever test ride the Cypher and if so how do you rate that board compared to the Evo? I had a test ride on the 2016 Cypher 5'4 and was quite impressed by its light wind capabilities even at my weight being 95 kgs.
I've also been looking at a board for sub 20 knots and mushier waves. Been reading a lot of great reviews about the Evo but never had a chance to try it. Sort of choosing between the Evo and Cypher, and the Cypher mainly due to that there are some really good deals on that board.
Hi, no, never had a Cypher. I used to have a Chop top about three years ago, but didn't get on with it. I just didn't feel comfortable on it. So sold it on 2yrs ago

I was originally looking for a good all round board when I got the Converse. I was reliably informed the Converse I bought was one of the last well made strong boards. Plus it turns better than the rest. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic board, but I struggle with winds lighter than 20mph on it, it's great from 23. Had it out in mid 30's, more wind the better it gets. Been out in overhead waves with it too. I do like it, I like it alot.

I had been tempted by the other Airush boards. The pricing is good, but, when I was looking for sub 20 & mush, I was told they (I can't remember if it was the Cypher or the Compact) were 'corky'. This put me off, corky is not what I was looking for. Makes them a bitch to hold down when it picks up in my limited experience. (Been riding strapless for the past 18mths)
That said, I have had a session on the EVO when the wind went silly gusty/strong when I was out, that was just horrible, as to be expected when the board is way too big for the wind. I shortly came in after trying to ride it out and changed to a TT. I was on my 9. The wind did calm down, and I went back out on the EVO.

I was always tempted/interested in the MPH boards. Having spoke with a couple of people and how much they liked them. I really wanted a demo, but, nothing here in the UK. After much deliberation and finding out as much info as I could, I bit the bullet and took a punt on the EVO.

I'm glad I did.

If you liked the Cypher, then go with that. But, there will always be the what 'if scenario'. But, sorry, I can't help you because I've not tried one.
Last edited by SonnyRider on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados
Style: Free to do what ever I want
Gear: Airush Wave, Union II & III, Varial X and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds

Shinn Bronq, Airush Converse 6' 2015. Firewire 5'3" Evo Helium, Circle one SB
Brand Affiliation: None. I use what I like
Location: Bath, UK

Re: FireWire Evo KiteSurfBoard

Postby SonnyRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:36 pm
SonnyRider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
I recently got myself a 5'3" EVO in Helium. I didn't bother weighing it, I'm anal, but not that anal.
I made it a habit of weighing all my boards when they are new and writing the numbers down.
It is the only way to know if your board has taken on water after a ding.
Ah, yes, that IS a valid point. :oops: I shall have to weigh mine now :lol:


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], JaZone and 26 guests