Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite suggestion req - bang for the buck air

Postby KitingPolak » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Kiteboarding for 7 years, I weigh about 71kg and own the kites you see in my profile but with the local conditions I use the 13.5m RRD Obsession 85% of the time. I'm looking for a replacement for this kite as it's getting old (2010) and is very heavy. I'm looking for something that will give me max boost height for a reasonable (by kite standards which isn't saying much) amount of cash. Here's what I have in terms of requirements:

• 4 line LEI
  • higher/high aspect ratio
  • 13 +/- 1m^2
  • New but not necessarily latest model (read: on-sale or good deal)
  • prefer no more than 3 struts (keep weight and maintenance down)
What I do not want:
  • Pay a large premium for brand label (North, Core, etc), not that I have anything against them
Would entertain getting a package with a smaller good jumping board but only if it really sweetens the deal.

Any suggestions?
Switch Nitro is inexpensive, Naish Pivot seems to get very good reviews, i've also heard Ozone Edge come up but I haven't flown any of these and demo opportunities are not really existent to me for these kites.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Kite suggestion req - bang for the buck air

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm

switch nitro is great but it is a heavy kite so maybe not what you're looking for. but honestly unless you're foiling, the weight is not really an issue, I had no problems with my N4 12m until I started trying to ride it with a foil in light wind (too heavy) and a surfboard (doesnt drift at all). for riding a twintip in "normal twintip wind" it is killer, and the price is hard to beat if you are paying retail.

best roca is awesome, super easy to fly and relaunch, really good for jumping. you might be able to find one on clearance really cheap now

cab fx is 3 struts and jumps well, probably more expensive unless you can find a deal

i like my envy for boosting as well, seems to get as high as anything else i've tried these days. they blow these kites out every so often, I got a 2016 12m a few months ago for $700 from real

i haven't really found anything that doesn't jump well aside from kites that are specifically built for something else, maybe surf kites... but i've tried the Cabo and it jumped just fine too, so I don't know. the only kite I've flown that I couldn't find the sweet spot for boosting was a 14m airush lithium. Just couldn't get any height on it despite being very powered.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm

If you can find a Roca in the size you want it will probably serve your needs very well. I find the Roca a little more direct/aggressive than the Pivot but lighter than the TS. Otherwise, the Eleveight RS is its spiritual successor.

The Naish Park is also good and should be pretty cheap if you can find one.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 pm

I'd suggest smaller Slingshot Turbine. They'll be on sale in December or so.
Jumping it is a pleasure and my 9m is mindblowing. Not sure if you'd be able to handle the 13m - it'd likely be too much power for your weight. What winds do you ride and jump?

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 pm

dylan* wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm
switch nitro is great but it is a heavy kite so maybe not what you're looking for. but honestly unless you're foiling, the weight is not really an issue, I had no problems with my N4 12m until I started trying to ride it with a foil in light wind (too heavy) and a surfboard (doesnt drift at all). for riding a twintip in "normal twintip wind" it is killer, and the price is hard to beat if you are paying retail.

best roca is awesome, super easy to fly and relaunch, really good for jumping. you might be able to find one on clearance really cheap now

cab fx is 3 struts and jumps well, probably more expensive unless you can find a deal

i like my envy for boosting as well, seems to get as high as anything else i've tried these days. they blow these kites out every so often, I got a 2016 12m a few months ago for $700 from real
Thanks for the suggestions. I did start foiling this season and have foiled with the Obsession but I'm thinking that there will be less need for foiling with such a big kite as I progress. I noticed quite a few people mention the Nitro is heavy in the forums so I think I'll move it towards the bottom of my list even though the price is awesome.

Tried an older Envy and it was OK but would rather go for something more interesting. Not a big fan of LF graphics either.
grigorib wrote: I'd suggest smaller Slingshot Turbine. They'll be on sale in December or so.
Jumping it is a pleasure and my 9m is mindblowing. Not sure if you'd be able to handle the 13m - it'd likely be too much power for your weight. What winds do you ride and jump?
Turbine is an option. I've flown a 14m and the 17m (maybe a year or so ago.) Winds are light here, in the 10-15mph range most of the time (when there's wind). I liked it but still have a bad taste in my mouth from the KeyHD and the fact that the lines on my slingshot bar stretch at different rates. Putting it down on my list.
Sun wrote: If you can find a Roca in the size you want it will probably serve your needs very well. I find the Roca a little more direct/aggressive than the Pivot but lighter than the TS. Otherwise, the Eleveight RS is its spiritual successor.

Thanks, not familiar with these; will try to read-up. Pivot is definitely within my price range so if the others are similar then should also make good candidates.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm

*Disclaimer-I sell Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, etc...

If you're a guy that still owns/rides a Slingshot Key, I'm guessing that any other kite will seem amazing! I know that's not the one that you're replacing, but was definitely NOT one of the best kites ever made. :wink:

On a more serious note, I'd encourage you to try an Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m. Easily one of the most responsive, big jumpers out there. Bar pressure is light, hang time is very good. Also has turned out to be very good for foiling. They are easily pushed to the edge of the window when you start getting overpowered, so the range on them is excellent. Not only do I sell them, I spent MY dollars on a quiver of them (17/12/8).

Switchblades have been around long enough that most everyone is familiar with them. Without being the very best at anything, they are very good at just about everything. Build quality, longevity, performance, etc...all very good. They've just normally been expensive. For what it's worth, I have some closeout Switchblades left at 20% off in 11 and 12m.

One thing worth noting here: Ocean Rodeo reduced their prices by almost $200 this past year and Cabrinha has also just done it. Excellent news for all of us! :cheers:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm

KitingPolak wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 pm
grigorib wrote: I'd suggest smaller Slingshot Turbine. They'll be on sale in December or so.
Turbine is an option. I've flown a 14m and the 17m (maybe a year or so ago.) Winds are light here, in the 10-15mph range most of the time (when there's wind). I liked it but still have a bad taste in my mouth from the KeyHD and the fact that the lines on my slingshot bar stretch at different rates. Putting it down on my list.
There never was a 14m Turbine size and 17m is too damn slow. The 2017 smaller Turbine sizes are jumping and upwind machines flying way bigger than the size. I squeezed higher and longer jumps from my 9m Turbine flown side-by-side with 12m Ozone Catalyst (older version). 11m or 13m Turbines should be great for 10 knots winds, demo them if you can.
Usually front lines end up longer than the steering lines, on any bar but personally can't recommend the Slingshot bars either. They're good, not excellent. Try Cabrinha 1x fixed with Trimlite - it's the best bar I've ever used. With 24m Best lines on it it's my perfect combination

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 am

Sun wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:15 pm
If you can find a Roca in the size you want it will probably serve your needs very well. I find the Roca a little more direct/aggressive than the Pivot but lighter than the TS. Otherwise, the Eleveight RS is its spiritual successor.

Eleveight RS sure impressed me with hangtime and playfulness. Still need to test the big sizes though, but felt fun in the small!

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm
There never was a 14m Turbine size and 17m is too damn slow. The 2017 smaller Turbine sizes are jumping and upwind machines flying way bigger than the size. I squeezed higher and longer jumps from my 9m Turbine flown side-by-side with 12m Ozone Catalyst (older version). 11m or 13m Turbines should be great for 10 knots winds, demo them if you can.
Usually front lines end up longer than the steering lines, on any bar but personally can't recommend the Slingshot bars either. They're good, not excellent. Try Cabrinha 1x fixed with Trimlite - it's the best bar I've ever used. With 24m Best lines on it it's my perfect combination
You're right, it was the 13m... just confirmed with the guy who let me demo it. I know on the 17m I got crazy long hang-times; wind wasn't that great when I tried the smaller one. Regarding the bar lines, it's obvious that they used line from two different spools. I expect lines to stretch but the two steering lines stretch in a completely different way. The right steering line is longer in a static position but when I put even pressure on the bar the left one stretches more and becomes longer under load. I just need to replace them one of these days but it's an older bar w/o any swivels so I've been holding off with plans to completely retrofit it. I do not like the heavy above bar swivel that Slingshot uses on their bars. My preference these days is above bar depower (with magnet retention, no velcro!), and below bar swivel. Never used a Cabrinha bar.
SENDIT! wrote: One thing worth noting here: Ocean Rodeo reduced their prices by almost $200 this past year and Cabrinha has also just done it. Excellent news for all of us! :cheers:
Thanks, will check out your website. There is a guy who flies a Switchblade locally so perhaps he'll let me check out his kite next time.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

john a wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:44 am

Eleveight RS sure impressed me with hangtime and playfulness. Still need to test the big sizes though, but felt fun in the small!
Do you know who sells these US? I don't see any pricing or weight info, otherwise it looks like it fits my requirements nicely.

Update: found some pricing info from one dealer... seems inline with the "reasonably" priced options. Hmmm.

Return to “Kitesurfing”