Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to make a high Y bar ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How to make a high Y bar ?

Postby Seabizzle » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi I am pretty keen to get some north neos or possibly monos and from what I have read online it seems like the north kites really need the high Y to fly at their best.

I am currently riding with a modified naish bar with my kites. I have modified the bar to have a very small chicken loop and long bar throw, I use this with a sliding spreader and I love it.

If I were to buy a north bar I would most likely be modifying it quite a bit anyway and I don't really want to shell out for it if I can modify an older bar to be exactly how I want and possibly save some cash doing it ( actually on the lookout for a cheap airush bar because it has a very compact QR with below bar swivel)

What I was wondering would be how to make the high Y split?? surely there must be some type of clip or piece that I could order online that would do the job perfectly? I could possibly just get the North front lines set and use it on the bar?

I would be very happy to see or hear of some others out there who have custom high Y bars and what or how they did it

Cheers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: How to make a high Y bar ?

Postby edt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:33 pm

It shouldn't hurt the line's strength to put a bolt through the middle of the line. That will turn your V system into a Y while retaining single line flagging. as far as I know, nobody makes a part that does this sort of conversion. A high Y is normally accompanied with a 5th line (naish torch north rebel, vegas). As far as I know people usually ride the 4 line north kites with the low V instead of the high Y if they don't have the right bar. The exception are those 5 line kites, those really do want the high Y and a tensioned 5th line.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

I believe the North Click bar has a system which allows you to put Y in different place on the front lines, sounds like exactly what you are after?

Let us know if you are able to get the part somewhere or otherwise use a similar system like that.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:27 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:33 pm

It shouldn't hurt the line's strength to put a bolt through the middle of the line. That will turn your V system into a Y while retaining single line flagging. as far as I know, nobody makes a part that does this sort of conversion. A high Y is normally accompanied with a 5th line (naish torch north rebel, vegas). As far as I know people usually ride the 4 line north kites with the low V instead of the high Y if they don't have the right bar. The exception are those 5 line kites, those really do want the high Y and a tensioned 5th line.
How you make that bolt stay on a specific height? to make the low V become an Y. Instead of that bolt can t be a small ring??
I just bought a new religion , high Y (didn t get it yet) and I am planning to use it with my airush progression bar or blade unibar, both low V (or low Y, whatever)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Check the video of the new F-One bar, they have a removable "Y" configuration - you could probably do the same. Split one of the front lines right where you want your Y to be, add a ring in the connection and pass the other front line through it.

That being said - why bother at all? Kites designed to fly on Y-bars work perfectly fine with V-bars, it's the other way around that you might actually notice any difference in kite's behaviour and yet alone - to have any real issues.
Last edited by alexeyga on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:55 pm

put bolt trhu line add nut to keep in place

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Seabizzle wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:49 pm
Hi I am pretty keen to get some north neos or possibly monos and from what I have read online it seems like the north kites really need the high Y to fly at their best.
I have an extra Slingshot Z 4-line high-Y bar I'm not using except for better angle of line mounted camera.
It's all in perfect condition. Let me know if you'd be interested in it.
Last edited by grigorib on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm
Check the video of the new F-One bar, they have a removable "Y" configuration - you could probably do the same. Split one of the front lines right where you want your Y to be, add a ring the the connection and pass the other front line through it.

That being said - why bother at all? Kites designed to fly on Y-bars work perfectly fine with V-bars, it's the other way around that you might actually notice any difference in kite's behaviour and yet alone - to have any really issues.
Good last point. I will try my new religion with low V bar. If it works fine i m good. I thought they would loose performance by changing them the original high Y to low V bar

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Putting a bolt through a thin kite line REALLY does not sound like a good idea.

You will be causing all sorts of problems with the line spread open like that.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

What about changing from 25m to 18m lines or putting some 5m extensions on for a bit extra low end. That has more impact on the angle of the frontlines than a 3m higher split or do all kites fly like shit on anything else than the stock setup?

Return to “Kitesurfing”