Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite description V’s style usage

Forum for kitesurfers
Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Kite description V’s style usage

Postby Ianw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:58 am

When buying a new kite or comparing similar kites of different brands, unless you are lucky enough to have a local kite shop where you can try out the different kites, in most cases this is not possible. In my experience you end up speaking to mates about which kites they like and looking at differences of kites on your local beach without the chance of riding them. Kite manufacturers IMO could be more helpful and more accurate in describing kites for different style usage. For example they could produce a table similar to this excellent example of a sizing chart for individual boards https://www.shinnworld.com/whatssizedoineed for the “style usage” of individual kites. Which could include for example:-
Kite A sizes 14 to 10mtrs – 60% Freeride 40% Wave, sizes below 9mtrs – 60% Wave 40% Freeride
Kite B sizes 12 to 9mtrs – 50% Freestyle/Freeride 50% Wave
Kite C etc.etc
I appreciate it could get complicated with different bridle settings but in general it would give a more accurate description and especially where there are differences of style variations within a kite range.
North’s “style table” attempts to do this but doesn’t take into account of variations within a particular kite range. Also I would prefer all manufacturers with the knowledge to produce the table so we the buyers can make decisions based on more accurate facts than marketing hype and guesswork.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite description V’s style usage

Postby Lokihel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

At the end of the day personal experience is the only thing that will get you the right kite & size for conditions and style.

There are just too many variables, and personal taste is a big one.
For example some people like riding really powered, whereas other prefer to be lightly powered but move the kite a lot to gain power when needed.

Then there's board size, rider weight, water conditions, air temperature, etc.
It will just be a nightmare to navigate, and at the end of it all, you will just go for the kite you already have.

I don't think many riders want to go through a complicated algorithm to choose between an 8m Neo or a 9m Dice for an exact set of conditions (which will probably change).
Most people serious riders know their kites well enough to pick the right for the conditions. And the kite sizes are usually 2 or 3 apart, unless you have too much money. :lol:

Ianw
Medium Poster

Postby Ianw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am

Lokihel wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am
I don't think many riders want to go through a complicated algorithm to choose between an 8m Neo or a 9m Dice for an exact set of conditions (which will probably change).
Most people serious riders know their kites well enough to pick the right for the conditions. And the kite sizes are usually 2 or 3 apart, unless you have too much money. :lol:
North are a good example:- if you were deciding between the Dice, Evo, Neo and even Rebel would you accurately know where the overlaps are between the kites for the kiting conditions you described without trying out the kites before buying?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 am

That assumes that

(a) people actually know what they want (as opposed to what they imagine/aspire to do)
(b) manufacturers ideas are in line with real world conditions for everyone. I don't surf but its clear from reading about different kites that different conditions (onshore/ sideshore/ cross offshore/ strapless) sometimes work better with different kit despite each being suitable for surfing.

Independent reviews. Thats what we need

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am

Ianw wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am
Lokihel wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am
North are a good example:- if you were deciding between the Dice, Evo, Neo and even Rebel would you accurately know where the overlaps are between the kites for the kiting conditions you described without trying out the kites before buying?
Following on the NKB example, yes there is quite a lot of overlap between those kites (in the order Neo-Dice-Evo-Rebel).
Knowing which end of the spectrum you're closest to is not that difficult. The Neo and the Rebel are very different. The NKB website has a tool to help choose, but once again, the best thing to do is to try the kite for yourself.
If your kite dealer is competent he should be able to point you to the correct kite, which you could then demo.

If you were unable to test the kite for whatever reason, I still think you'd have a good shot at finding the right kite based on the descriptions given and the tool on the website.
If you are unsure it would always be between two kites which probably overlap quite a lot. You then just have to decide which side you want to lean towards.

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PeaBody » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

There is also the point that not all 12m are actually 12m... different brands are not all built to the exact measurements, some are bigger some are smaller, there is a thread on here somewhere!

Ianw
Medium Poster

Postby Ianw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Following on the NKB example, yes there is quite a lot of overlap between those kites (in the order Neo-Dice-Evo-Rebel).
If you were unable to test the kite for whatever reason, I still think you'd have a good shot at finding the right kite based on the descriptions given and the tool on the website.
[/quote]

Videos & product clips:- 99% marketing hype 1% useful information. Most kite companies make a square tipped delta kite (they all look very similar to me) and tweek the bridle to change the desired wave/freeride/freestyle effect. I don't see why they can't declare the information in a table so we the buying public can make up our own minds. Spider diagrams & the North style table are IMO too vague.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Could describe high aspect kites - fast slow turning Pigs... oink :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”