neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

North rebels

Postby neilhapgood » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I am really enjoying my 10m dyno ATM, just finds it sits further forward in the window and so depowers better as my other kites tend to sit further back and overpower. I have found a used 13m dyno but a used 7m seems to be like the proverbial rocking horse pooh.

Therefore wondering what people think of the rebels in 7m, around 2012' do they fly well forward as well?

Cheers

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: North rebels

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 pm
Hi all,

I am really enjoying my 10m dyno ATM, just finds it sits further forward in the window and so depowers better as my other kites tend to sit further back and overpower. I have found a used 13m dyno but a used 7m seems to be like the proverbial rocking horse pooh.

Therefore wondering what people think of the rebels in 7m, around 2012' do they fly well forward as well?

Cheers
Ive a rebel 10m 2016, pretty good kite, just abit heavy in the marginal winds.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 pm

I think the older Rebels are just fine for hydrofoiling, as here some are using these for riding waves, they turn well and fly forward more than our typical wavekites and drift "okay", and they have depower and range in reality.

Too heavy for the big sizes of course, but for the small ones really good for hydrofoiling I would think, based on its characteristics :thumb:

8) PF

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 am

Top man, many thanks peter

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 am

I have a north rebel 7m 2012 , my worst kite for foiling , I avoid it as much as possible and rather use my rrd9m

For me wave kites have been a good alternative to foiling specific kites

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 am

Blackrat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 am
I have a north rebel 7m 2012 , my worst kite for foiling , I avoid it as much as possible and rather use my rrd9m

For me wave kites have been a good alternative to foiling specific kites

Let us hear why, I was apparently wrong it seems :roll:

Why does it not work ?

I dont know the specific year, only that many here used it as a wave kite and it flies more forward than other kites so good range, and this is what many likes in foiling, good depower and power when flown fast through the window.
But maybe it was a dog for foiling ?

Details important as it makes a big difference regarding what can be recommended :wink:

8) PF

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 am

Love my 2010 9m2 Rebel on 33m lines, fucking one pump system replaced and wide 60cm bar for KBHFing in about 12 knots.
I have a strong feeling that almost any kite within reason will work for power for KBHFing albeit of course some are better or worse.
Kinda same for many sports, much more the humans skill and experience than material, again within reason.
R H

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Not sure you want a kite that flys forward....I purchased a few foil dedicated North Vegas' to foil with as they tend to sit back in the window. The rebels seem to throw me off balance as they want to go upwind too fast....

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blackrat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 pm

It's one if those kites that you struggle to get up and foiling , and when you eventually do, it then rips you off the front of the board. It just doesn't seem to depower nicely, and when you try drift it it wants to fall out the sky , prolly just me

Everytime I've used it for foiling I've had a horrid session ( not many times) but for twin tip it's been awesome.

Ive just got off the water using an 8m cab drifter , what a pleasure even though I started off feeling overpowered in 18-20knts

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Hmmm, now it becomes interesting, as we have very split opinions now, not only me....

Some like kites that sits deep - other like kites that fly forward.

It could be personal preference, just like wavekites, some like the fat ones that sit deep and pivot turn, others like the fast ones that fly forward (they both have to drift well, only thing in common).

IMO, kites that sits deep are really easy, which is good, but they lack the ability to fly forward thus depower, and they also lack the ability to be flown fast or looped to get max power.

Some like the first, others like the second - maybe simply personal preference :naughty:

I am one that likes the latter, also in my wavekites, they should be able to fly forward and also give me peak power on demand :thumb:
And on a hydrofoil, I want a kite that has depower and can be flown forward in the window just like foilkites, so I dont get pulled over...

More difficult to fly yes, but when used to it, you got more options.

Others want their kites to sit deeper with a more grunty pull.

On the other hand, maybe I understand it - as who do not remember the 2001 Cabrinha Black Tip ?
It was the WORST kite ever IMO, it had absolutely no "feel" and ability to depower smoothly, so it either pulled or was totally dead and did nothing :o
Maybe this is how some feel with kites that are too aggressive and fly forward, more on/off and difficult, not pleasant :wink:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”