Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


cwood
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby cwood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:39 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:54 pm
Cwood,
Ahhg! Now I have to out and get the 558? :o What stab are u using?
I have 325 and 330 but I find that the 330 is best with the 558. TBH I have not spent much time with the 325 with the 558. I do find the 325 is much more twitchy from a yaw perspective....less locked in feel.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1783
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

What do you weigh? And how about low speed behavior of 558? Also like to hear about roll stability and carving behavior of 558.
Might get one next year...

cwood
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby cwood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm
What do you weigh? And how about low speed behavior of 558? Also like to hear about roll stability and carving behavior of 558.
Might get one next year...
I weigh 190lb and fly Flysurfer speed5's. The lower speed is quite tame and stalls at quite a low speed but I can't tell you empirically. The low end of the 50 is a bit lower but I find the overall envelope of operation quite similar to the 558.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am

cwood wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 am
TomW wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm
I'm 78 kg Dry. Found the 548 wing had too much lift at speed. 550 actually going as slow as 548, but has less lift at speed. Cruising around my GPS says my top speeds without pushing it are about the same on 550 and 548. The rear stab 330 vs 325 has huge influence on character..
My experience is that the 550 also has too much lift at speed compared to the 558....558 is much more balanced.
Yes the 550 has more lift then the 558, BUT, the 550 its a much more playfull wing, it allows you go slower then the 558 and it reaches about the same speed as the 558. The 558 offers abit more "glide" and more stability.

Overall i prefer the 550, and ive ridden both back to back in the same day several times. Going straight i would say most would prefer the 558 because of the added stability, and less drag, its even more smooth then the 550, but for playing around the 550 its a much better option and also more forgiving.

cwood
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby cwood » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am
cwood wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 am
TomW wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm
I'm 78 kg Dry. Found the 548 wing had too much lift at speed. 550 actually going as slow as 548, but has less lift at speed. Cruising around my GPS says my top speeds without pushing it are about the same on 550 and 548. The rear stab 330 vs 325 has huge influence on character..
My experience is that the 550 also has too much lift at speed compared to the 558....558 is much more balanced.
Yes the 550 has more lift then the 558, BUT, the 550 its a much more playfull wing, it allows you go slower then the 558 and it reaches about the same speed as the 558. The 558 offers abit more "glide" and more stability.

Overall i prefer the 550, and ive ridden both back to back in the same day several times. Going straight i would say most would prefer the 558 because of the added stability, and less drag, its even more smooth then the 550, but for playing around the 550 its a much better option and also more forgiving.
What stab are you using when you go back and forth?

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:05 pm

I always use the 330, the 325 its still too nervous for me, i like it for the waves, but for everything else that requires moving your feet while foiling i need more roll resistance.

Im also always using the 101 mast when comparing.

cwood
Medium Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby cwood » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:05 pm
I always use the 330, the 325 its still too nervous for me, i like it for the waves, but for everything else that requires moving your feet while foiling i need more roll resistance.

Im also always using the 101 mast when comparing.
That is the way I would have described it

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1783
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm foiling in choppy and confused seas. Considering also going from 93cm 2016 Fluente strut / mast to the vorace 101.
I'm still working on transitions.
Should I try longer strut / mast?

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 pm

TomW wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 pm
I'm foiling in choppy and confused seas. Considering also going from 93cm 2016 Fluente strut / mast to the vorace 101.
I'm still working on transitions.
Should I try longer strut / mast?
If you want to wait 2 more weeks, i can give you my opinion on the comet mast, im currently waiting for the full comet set: 111 mast, 600A and 380A wings, with this i will have all moses wings and all moses masts. I got a very good deal from a racer, so thats the reason im getting it.

But yes, the 101 mast is a very good upgrade overall, even in flat water, but you will feel everything will become abit less responsive compared to the 93. The setup i ride more is 101 mast + 550 + 330.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1783
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Moses 550 wing and 325 Stabilizer review

Postby TomW » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:47 pm

I am experiencing wings breaching in gybes a lot and having to concentrate on altitude. The sea state is choppy, confused, and I wonder if it will be easier overall with longer strut


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron