A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Foot Hook vs NSI Foot Hooker

Postby Bletti » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Anyone play around with both and have a preference?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Slingshot Foot Hook vs NSI Foot Hooker

Postby juandesooka » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 am

I have NSI Foot Hooker front and the old NSI Klingon back. For front, I like how I can press my foot under it to guide board for water start. Rear one is more something to press against, doesn't need much or any hook over top of toes. My only complaint is that the plastic base breaks pretty easy. I understand that's for self protection: break the plastic vs break your leg, but an expensive failsafe at $50 a pop. The other failsafe is for kite line caught on hook, kite looping, maybe it breaks off before you loop into a cliff.

I made a DIY hook with a cutting board and 10 minutes with a heat gun. Would work fine, but it doesn't have the fail safe (meaning it is TOO strong!). But if you figured out a fail safe mechanism, that's about 50 cents vs 50 bucks. ;-)
20170728_101338_resized.jpg
Last edited by juandesooka on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:14 am

Slingshot foot hook breaks where the holes are. Apparently, somebody on the design team thought that the more openings they cut, the better (or he just thoroughly enjoyed creating an artwork of numerous carvings in otherwise blunt piece of plastics). There is little else to complain: with little abuse the hook should be good for 20 sessions or so. The $30/piece cost is not even worth asking if this thing is covered by warranty.

Just for experiment, I torched one from PVC pipe -- its thickness is about the same as slingshot. Wrapped it in neoprene leftovers from old wetsuit. Didn't test it yet.

P.S. Cutting board... that's an interesting idea!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 am

One rear NSI hooker broke. Sent a pic and asked if it was under warranty. Got a positive answer and an immediate replacement.
Great support!
But, then another one broke :angryfire:
I analyzed the the breaking pattern and concluded that the bending forces around a single screw is the weakest point.
I added two screws inline with the original one, using the rectangular washer with three holes.
and since then no further issues. :D

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:41 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 am
I have NSI Foot Hooker front and the old NSI Klingon back. For front, I like how I can press my foot under it to guide board for water start. Rear one is more something to press against, doesn't need much or any hook over top of toes. My only complaint is that the plastic base breaks pretty easy. I understand that's for self protection: break the plastic vs break your leg, but an expensive failsafe at $50 a pop. The other failsafe is for kite line caught on hook, kite looping, maybe it breaks off before you loop into a cliff.

I made a DIY hook with a cutting board and 10 minutes with a heat gun. Would work fine, but it doesn't have the fail safe (meaning it is TOO strong!). But if you figured out a fail safe mechanism, that's about 50 cents vs 50 bucks. ;-)

20170728_101338_resized.jpg
I had an NSI foot hook break with very little force on it. I don't think they break for "self protection". The concept of the foot hook is great. They give good support and there is almost no way your foot can get caught in one to cause injury. They just break too easily.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Perhaps I'll find an old cutting board to make a set. Thanks for the feedback. I doubt they are engineered to purposely fail. Back in hood river I was a cleaver homemade version that form a solid c shape on the front with a raised centre section.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 am

I am using the old Predator surf hook for 3 years and it still looks strong. I cut half of it off in first year, since it is to long and getting in the way otherwise. It is a shame they do not produce them anymore, they could sell well these days...

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 pm

I've had NSI and Slingshot. Both work well. For me the NSI was a little too tight (close to board) , tight on the top of my foot. My NSI broke after a few months. I've been on SS for 8 or 9 months, it's a little looser and has not broken yet.

I'm using only one front hook , really using it only to help waterstart.

Return to “Hydrofoil”