Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Foot Straps

Postby Kitemanmuc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey all,

Looking for a comfy yet performance oriented foot strap for my new temavento foil. I love the slingshot cushy foot straps but when racing they dont give the feedback im looking for. I like Alpine, but wanted to see if there is anything out there worth checking out.

-Soft cushy
-Direct feeling

Thanks!

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foot Straps

Postby airsurfer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 pm

moses are very nice

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Greenhat recommended these Chinook straps for racing, and I've really liked them. https://greenhatkiteboarding.com/chinoo ... s?___SID=U

I like the straps to be stiff for getting your feet in and out.

Seems like a lot of others use the NSI straps and Dakine straps for racing.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Since you rarely adjust your straps on a foilboard, you don't really need velcro adjustment capability.

These Dakine straps are what most of us use around here.. or anything similar. You want something that is firm enough to always hold its shape but also is soft on your toes as you try to blindly jam your foot in during a tack or jibe.

:wink: CG
Attachments
dakine-vario-footstrap-s16.jpg
dakine-vario-footstrap-s16.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
dakine_contour.jpg

andyjiggs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish

Postby andyjiggs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am

So a bit confused. I've been foiling a while starting off with a Moses Silente with Aruba Auruba board, changing last year to a Spotz 2 with Tamavento board.The change was for more performance which has been quickly fulfilled.I was managing to just about ride toe side on the Moses but not comfortably.Now on the Spotz 2 I'm struggling to get the board to go round without being really intimidated.
So my point, on both boards whilst riding strapped I've crashed with my back foot releasing my front foot staying locked in,then twisting whilst still being dragged.............very painful and from what I can gather quite a common injury that can be quite serious.I was speaking to a friend who has only just got back on the water after 3 or 4 months because of the same issue and injury.
I have tried strapless and didn't really like it although only very briefly. I am now experimenting with foot hooks and although initially wasn't that keen I am starting to get on with them.Ideally I would still like to ride with straps and the foot hooks are to hopefully just help me move my feet about whilst learning transitions.The downside of the foot hooks is that it seems to have moved the sweet spot a bit.
So really intrigued as to how the racers or seasoned foilers who always use straps avoid the injury issue or just accept it as an associated risk and hope it doesn't happen,or do they crash and just try and make sure that both feet stay in which I'm sure can't always be possible.
Interested in any feed back.

andyjiggs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish

Postby andyjiggs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am

So a bit confused. I've been foiling a while starting off with a Moses Silente with Aruba Auruba board, changing last year to a Spotz 2 with Tamavento board.The change was for more performance which has been quickly fulfilled.I was managing to just about ride toe side on the Moses but not comfortably.Now on the Spotz 2 I'm struggling to get the board to go round without being really intimidated.
So my point, on both boards whilst riding strapped I've crashed with my back foot releasing my front foot staying locked in,then twisting whilst still being dragged.............very painful and from what I can gather quite a common injury that can be quite serious.I was speaking to a friend who has only just got back on the water after 3 or 4 months because of the same issue and injury.
I have tried strapless and didn't really like it although only very briefly. I am now experimenting with foot hooks and although initially wasn't that keen I am starting to get on with them.Ideally I would still like to ride with straps and the foot hooks are to hopefully just help me move my feet about whilst learning transitions.The downside of the foot hooks is that it seems to have moved the sweet spot a bit.
So really intrigued as to how the racers or seasoned foilers who always use straps avoid the injury issue or just accept it as an associated risk and hope it doesn't happen,or do they crash and just try and make sure that both feet stay in which I'm sure can't always be possible.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 am

I adjusted my straps really loose to avoid my feet jamming during crashes. I think you don't need tight straps except if you race, even jumping are not an issue with really loose straps. I use Dakine/Ion windsurf straps.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 am

It depends do you need boots. Here in Northern Europe we need strap adjustment because winter season you need 7mm boots. So basic dakine is just too small.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:35 pm

andyjiggs wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 am
Now on the Spotz 2 I'm struggling to get the board to go round without being really intimidated.
Yeah, Spotz 2 is very fast, but very intimidating because it is very pitch sensitive. I was never comfortable riding mine toeside and was never able to foiling jibe it. Switched to a much more pitch stable foil (Delta) and was riding toeside and foil-jibing no problem right away. Same thing when I had tried others LF, Cabrinha, MHL etc., I was able to ride toeside right away but spotz 2 was scary. It was very fast though!
andyjiggs wrote: So really intrigued as to how the racers or seasoned foilers who always use straps avoid the injury issue or just accept it as an associated risk and hope it doesn't happen,or do they crash and just try and make sure that both feet stay in which I'm sure can't always be possible.
You can either have your straps really tight or really loose. If they are really loose, you come out easy and you can roll your foot in the strap. You just need to make sure it's not so loose that your hole foot can go through it.

Or you can have your straps very tight so only a small portion of your foot goes in the strap. The top racers I've talked to keep their straps very tight, and only their toes are in the strap. It's worked for me, I haven't had any injuries after 3 years of riding with 3 straps including learning.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Indeed yes.

Really lose is just BAD, for board control when racing - so really small you obtain the same thing, namely you dont get stuck in the straps :thumb:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”