Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

5m kite recommendation

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 am

I'm thinking of getting a 5 m kite for hydrofoiling only.
My wish is a easy kite that is super stable and slow for its size. I have a North mono 7 I've foiled with and it feels very fast as it is.

I've never flown a 5m kite.

I've looked at Mono 5, Neo 5, Storm Voyager 2018 5m.

Any other recommendations based on experience?

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Re: 5m kite recommendation

Postby Flag53 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am

Hi Tom this is just my opinion but I have had many 5m kites over the years and they are all super fast although usually you can slow them down a bit by adjusting the pig tail position on the kite

I think the most important Factor is that it will depower and as such I've ordered a 5m Reo for foiling as the other Reo's that I have ( 7,9,12 ) are superb in this respect

I'm using a 5m Vegas at the mo which I've used for years in mental winds on a twin tip and wave board , but it jus doesn't depower enough on the foil.

Hope this helps !

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I really like my 5m Switch Element for foiling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Why do you want it slow (turning) ?

Because you are not used to it, or because you think there is an advantage when not as fast ?

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Peter,
I just find small kites so fast I have to be concentrating on kite input too much.
I only fly small kites infrequently, and am not used to them.
The Mono 7 is actually the first 7m kite I like since my old Waroo 7 back in 2005-6. I sold it and then had a Switch Method 7 which was too aggressive.

I'm looking for a forgiving small kite. I'd be happy if I could find a 5 m kite that behaves like the Mono 7.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm
I just find small kites so fast I have to be concentrating on kite input too much.
I only fly small kites infrequently, and am not used to them.
The Mono 7 is actually the first 7m kite I like since my old Waroo 7 back in 2005-6. I sold it and then had a Switch Method 7 which was too aggressive.
I'm looking for a forgiving small kite. I'd be happy if I could find a 5 m kite that behaves like the Mono 7.
If you like your Mono 7, why don't you just get the 3.5M or 5M Mono?
If you want to tune the steering speed of a kite, be sure to use the proper size bar.
If you want a 5M to be more responsive than your 7M, use the same size bar.
If you want to tune the steering speed of a 5M kite, to be similar to a 7M, use a smaller size bar.
The problem is "small" bars are 17"/45 cm, which can feel big for a 5M kite. For e.x. Hein uses a 14" (37 cm) bar for a 5M Fuel.
Another thing to consider with 5M kites is line length. To make a 5M feel similar to a 7M, you will most likely find a preference for shorter line lengths, to give the feel of the same size wind window.
Another thing to consider with small kites, is front versus back line pressure. A kite that can be flown "fixed" removes the variable of front versus back line pressure. Examples of fixed bars are Pulley bar, Rooster Ring (Top Hat) bar. Flying a kite fixed makes a kite behave more predictable. Not all kites ride well fixed. Warning: riding fixed is very addictive. :hut:
As far as small kite recommendations, it is hard to find a bad kite smaller than 8M. 5M is a sweet size. I have tried the 5M BRM, Wainman 5M, Fuel 5M, Generator 5.5, FS Speed 5M and they are all good kites with a foil. If using a chicken loop, the BRM felt the safest to me. IMO a particular hydrofoil is best matched with a kite with a similar aspect ratio.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 pm

My small foil kite is the new 6m Naish boxer,love it for foiling,the new canopy material really makes a 1 strut super stable canopy,any small kites going to have quick turning,but boxer has a couple of steering setting,have not tried the 5m boxer but would imagine very similar to my 6m,had a 5.5m cloud last year,which is nice 5m kite but prefer the boxer,great relaunch,excellent performance and good build quality.definately would consider it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:46 pm

The reason I ask about why, is because if used to riding waves you are used to small kites 5 and 6 m2.

If you ride TT you might use a shorter bar for the small kites - but many never use these small kites anyways for TT.

For waves, back in the days we used short bars for small kites at first, coming from TT's, but found out it was a waste of time, and since then have just used the normal (longer) bar for all kites 3-4-5-6 m2 as well as the big ones.

There is no such thing as a too fast wavekite IMO.

For hydrofoiling these small kites turn a lot slower, as you ride in way less wind and less lineload and longer rearlines (compared to frontlines).

So no need for a "slow" small kite if used to these in waves, as most waveriders have.

But if you havent used small kites (6 m2 and down) before, I understand the fear or lack of experience with fast kites, and the urge for slower ones :naughty:

Maybe you dont need slower kites is my prediction, as you will get used to these really fast ones quite fast, that is another option :thumb:

8) PF

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am

to my surprise I have just spent 3 months with the ozone uno, sizes 4 m & 6 m. 90% depower in 34 knots avg.....so much fun to fly.........see if you can get a demo!

myerscouse
Rare Poster
Local Beach: beabnell
Favorite Beaches: bellmulet ireland
Style: wave rideing
Gear: mosses silente
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby myerscouse » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Tomw i find the airush DNA and excellent kite for foiling in the small sizes i have it in a 6m not sure if they do a 5 but its cheap and durable and its still the kite i like to foil with the most .

Return to “Hydrofoil”