Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Hero 6

Postby jeromeL » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:24 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 am
jeromeL wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 pm
4K at 60 fps is big deal lol, my dslr can't do it.
I currently have hero 4 silver which can't do 4K at 30fps...
If you have a computer good enough for 4K editing worth upgrading...
This

I have the Hero 4 and wish I would have bought the 5. You can see a huge difference when you edit your videos and zoom in. The Hero 4 makes everything look pixelated when you zoom in, but still a great camera.
THe other day i tried to stabilize a footage that wasn't that shaky (i thought so), it cropped like half of it, in 4K would have worked out fine...

I think with hero 4silver you can do 2.4k 30fps but never tried it, i should give it a shot next time.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm

maffhieu wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:52 am
Best feature of the Hero 5 and 6 is the waterproofing with no case ... :D

I had a Hero 4 silver, it worked but i was so frustrated because of the fog on the lens after only 30-45 min... :angryfire:

Upgraded to the Hero 5, the software was very laggy and the camera was freezing when filming... a pain in the ass... :angryfire: I had to take out the battery to fix it. Not easy to do while kitesurfing. :x :angryfire:
Maybe an upgrade fixed that, unfortunately i lost the Hero 5 in the water :cry: :oops:
I have never had fog on lens with hero4 silver. Except if I dip camera in murky water and let it dry as is... but usually riding and spraying water on it keep it pretty neat.
I am in New York though, i bet in more humid place could be an issue... only time I have issue with fogging is like March and late October, but then it's fogging from body steaming up and temperature near dew point...

Lately my hero 4 glitch when I start it, some days are better than others, maybe time for new sd card or camera?

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 pm
i have the 5 black. It never works. Never synches to my remote.
There is always something wrong. Battery not charged, mode changes. Maybe im a tard, but it such a pain in the ass.
And i hate editing.

I have to synch my remote as a new device EVERY time I use it. It never remembers it. Very annoying!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:30 am

This is interesting. Could trump the Virb, which seems to delay delivery endlessly.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/057569336 ... -costs-700

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am

My gopro session died of water getting in it, using it as a helmet cam. I fell several times at speed. Looking on the Internet, it's very common.
So the waterproofing is not good enough for that use case.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 am

Really tempted by the Revl Arc but just too nervous to spend £400+ on the hope that it is going to turn up (and work) sometime soon...

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 am

jeromeL wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm
maffhieu wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:52 am
Best feature of the Hero 5 and 6 is the waterproofing with no case ... :D

I had a Hero 4 silver, it worked but i was so frustrated because of the fog on the lens after only 30-45 min... :angryfire:

Upgraded to the Hero 5, the software was very laggy and the camera was freezing when filming... a pain in the ass... :angryfire: I had to take out the battery to fix it. Not easy to do while kitesurfing. :x :angryfire:
Maybe an upgrade fixed that, unfortunately i lost the Hero 5 in the water :cry: :oops:
I have never had fog on lens with hero4 silver. Except if I dip camera in murky water and let it dry as is... but usually riding and spraying water on it keep it pretty neat.
I am in New York though, i bet in more humid place could be an issue... only time I have issue with fogging is like March and late October, but then it's fogging from body steaming up and temperature near dew point...

Lately my hero 4 glitch when I start it, some days are better than others, maybe time for new sd card or camera?

I tried a few tricks to not get fog inside the case but, nothing worked, i was in New Zealand at the time (very humid place)
And the difference of temperature between air and water was making it worse... :cry:

I used the same sd card in my hero 4 and never had a problem with the camera.

I read online that i wasn't the only one with a hero 5 affected by these glitches and the camera being frozen while recording. :angryfire:

I think the camera was underpowered, lagging when navigating into menus etc ...

Anyway, maybe we were just a few, i'm not a "lucky guy" ...

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am

I like the Session series because you can rotate them 90deg in the frame which is good for strut mounting. I have the Session 4 which is "good enough" for my purposes, but I would like to get the 5 when the price gets dropped... that is if the Session 6 is next to release. I don't have PC computing power to process anything better anyway. What I would like to see is just a few simple changes like 60fps in Superview, and the ability to select Medium view angle when ProTune is on... maybe the 5 can already do that?

Here's a sample of my Session 4 footage if you care to view... https://youtu.be/cpemGheuqsA
The camera is rotated in the frame during the strut mount shots so the view fits the 16:9 screen format. Please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE :thumb:

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I was super sceptical about the Go Pro 5, but after getting one I positively surprised about how good it worked. I personally never had it crash on me. It became my main Camera for my VLog and review videos as the voice control made shooting the talking parts so much easier. The stabilisation was also quite useful. Some small things like not being able to deactivate the touch screen are a bit annoying, but I could live with it. It got stolen about a week ago, and then I really realised how good it was, as when I started using by GP4 Black again, I really missed the features from thew GP5. Especially being able to shoot photos in raw.

From what I have read, the GP6 will have even better stabilisation and also in 4K 24p mode (GP5 was limited to 2.7k fro stabilisation). Also the dynamic range look way better on the 6. I should be getting it by the weekend (come on UPS :-) ) and will do a full review on it.

--
Gunnar

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:44 pm

I checked out those reviews and comparison, the gopro 6 black stabilization looks amazing.
They did a video of a straight comparison with gopro 6 stabilized vs gorpo 5 non stabilzed on a 3 axis gimble. the gopro 6 looked way smoother!pretty cool. With a steady pole you don't really need a gimble anymore for you gopro, though depends on use case...

I probably won't upgrade for a while , too much toy to buy ;(

Interesting to see how the gopro fusion would look in term of stabilization, since it's 360 there is no issue with cropping the field of view you when you stabilize. Might be more work to control 2D FOV in post (video editor)

When they introduced all the sensors in the camera (looked like mostly data for overlay) I was wondering why they didn't have better stabilization, after all SteadXP could do it with same sensors..
Looks like they did it right this time ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”