Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:25 pm

this depower will pull the nose of the kite towards the irder and taking away all power since it will have almost no surface for the wind to hit. Therefore it doesn't have any power. Will it work this way?

http://www.boom-kites.com/index2.htm

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:50 pm

This system works GREAT! it offers the best depower available and turns the BOOM's to the kites with the biggest wind range.

regards

Claudio

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:33 am

It's just like a paraglider accelerator system: You push the speedbar, angle of attack decreases, the glide angle deteriorates but the glider is still flying, and because of the higher speed generates the same amount of lift (Lift is speed squared) So yes it'll work, but there's a chance that it will luff more at low angles of attack.

Cheers from Maze

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MissionMan » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:59 am

As far as I know, most kites including LEI's use this principal. i.e. angle of attack is adjusted.

There is a problem that you can only adjust the kite to a certain level before the kite stalls.

I believe the route flysurfer uses might be more effective, i.e. change the profile of the kite and changing angle of attack. I.e. bend the kite more like an lei and you have a smaller projected surface area kite for a higher depower.

I'm not a scientist, so correct me if I am wrong.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:09 pm

The system above is the first version of the depower system that has been available since December.

>So yes it'll work, but there's a chance that it will luff more at low angles of attack.

The vector profile is stable. That means that it won't luff, even at low angles of attack. I have noticed that in extremely gusty conditions at the upper end of the kites range the lower wingtip can roll in at times. It pops right back out but the ride gets a bit jerky.

>I believe the route flysurfer uses might be more effective, i.e. change the profile of the kite and changing angle of attack.

The depower on the mastair is definitely not as effective as the vector depower. The psycho depower looks alot like the old boom system and should have the same benefits, plus steering of the brakes for faster turns. The new depower system by boom does that too and then some.

R!

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:15 am

okay, but will this be the same system that they use on the new Prion kites? anyone know the sizes they are considering for the new Prions? Will they be a different animal than the vectors or really just the "new" vector?

possible release dates for the Prions? I love my mastair 16 but it is a dog to turn (of course) and Id love to try one of those big Prions out.

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:50 am

website tells that PRION 16 is getting ready. they dont say the exact kite dimensions. in fact PRION has the new depower system and it can be installed on VECTORS.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:54 am

Well, as far as I have seen (and I often see the guys from BOOM testing their new gear and they are always friendly answering almost any question) the PRION will have a completely new system that also uses the brakes for making turns and allows to pull them down a bit for having more power in the wing. AFAIK they worked on the different setups since April and after some tests finally seem to show the PRION at the foilfest. The kites from BOOM are always named by their flat area, so the 16 is 16m2 flat.
AND: the Vectors they sell now all seem to be equipped with a similar system they have on the Prion, and yes, I tried it and yes, it works great.
I had to get used to it, though, it feels more like flying an airblast - less pull at the bar, kite asking for more de/powering input. The main advantage is that the kite turns VERY well with the new system.
I hope they release some more news soon, denmark is too far for me.
greets Claudio

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:17 am

The foils are definitely improving.

The details on the new flysurfer for example (similar system to Boom) state that one of the sponsored riders uses his 15m in virtually any wind.

...and people said the foils were dead...

Return to “Kitesurfing”