geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 North Rebel vs 2017 North Evo Review

Postby geron » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 am

"If you change the wingtip line attachment on an evo to Soft setting, the kite can turn in place on a dime. This makes it quick to change direction and redirect the kite.
For directional riding in waves go Neo, then Dice, then Evo. Avoid the Rebel.
For Old School tricks go Rebel. Old school freeride is really the only sector the Rebel has over the Evo imo. It is what most twin tip riders do though."

Thanks, I will try the soft setting (I have never played with this).
I ride old school so that is why I liked the Rebel; the thing is, I want to experiment doing different things and it sounds like you can do more things with the Evo.
I like doing downwind runs moving the kite alot and it seems that, with the Evo, I could have more tools to work with.

Then again, the rebel is so smooth.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:19 am

Be interesting to see where the 2018 evo goes into the mix in all of this with 3 struts then.

The 2018 rebel is obviously not a replacement for the 5 strut 2017 evo, or more to the point doesn't have enough of the evo characteristics for current evo riders to go...hey why not a rebel now (which is where 3 of guys on evos I ride with are considering).

I will get a 2018 rebel, and ride it back to back with my 2017 rebels...alongside the lads on evos. Soon. That will be a useful comparison; to see how different this new rebel actually is.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 am

Teabageppo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:11 am

Sounds like to me you have no idea at all about the rebel nor loaded fifths, hence I also doubt your ability to compare kites...to be completely frank.

Jebus Eppo... That's a bit harsh Bloke..especially when he was was only comparing a 2017 Evo against 2018 Rebel and stated that doesn't have experience with the 2017 Rebel. Been hitting the syrup after a stressful and long term?

Dracop... Thanks for the feedback and not all Ozzies are bad attitude and backwater....

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 pm

To the OP and others who have tried the 2018 Rebel, have you ever flown the Fuse, and would you say new Rebel is similar to that kite?

TahoeGator
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras (Avon), Chrissy Field, Aruba, Turks & Caicos
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North & Best kites, North Jaime and Whip boards, Liquid Force bars
Been thanked: 0

Postby TahoeGator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Since North is going to be changing the EVO so drastically, it brings up the question of whether the 2018 Rebel is a replacement for the Evo.
Anyone know what North if planning to change in 2018 Evos?

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm

TahoeGator wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 pm
Since North is going to be changing the EVO so drastically, it brings up the question of whether the 2018 Rebel is a replacement for the Evo.
Anyone know what North if planning to change in 2018 Evos?
The EVO is going to have 3 struts instead of 5 :wink:

TahoeGator
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras (Avon), Chrissy Field, Aruba, Turks & Caicos
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North & Best kites, North Jaime and Whip boards, Liquid Force bars

Postby TahoeGator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Hmmm...and 3 will be better ?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 am

Impossible to say altho in my case I have become a fan of five strut kites. I really wish North would just do a color change instead of reincenting the wherl; the 2017 Evo is awesome.

kateba
Rare Poster
Gear: evo 10, 12, rebel 8, switchblades 6-12

Postby kateba » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I’ve been using 2017 Evos and like them very much and recently got an 8m 2018 Rebel. I am still not sure how I feel about it, great hang time but feels less smooth overall in terms of power delivery. But what I am most concerned about is that if I don’t sheet out while coming down by quite a bit the kite stalls or something and I crash (bad landing nothing traumatic). I normally rarely crash and also am not tall so sheeting our while in the air and especially when landing feels awkward. Is this normal for Rebels? Or is it the 8m size? Strangely I have an 8m SB with the same sheeting out thing which is part of why I got an 8 Rebel. My 10 and 12 Evos never need to be sheeted our when in air or landing. I can make it work but feels weird and I think it implies it is backstalling in air. This is in powered conditions 22kn I weigh 54k. I understand kites especially Rebel backstalling when edging hard but that hasn’t been my problem which is occurring in the air and I obviously got this kite for big air not lawn mowing. By the way when sheeting out the Rebel the landing is feather soft and massive hangtime but just don’t like having to do that. Do other Rebel flyers have to do this especially on smaller ones? Do other kites do this too? I’m using same 2017 quad bar on Evos and Rebels. Also does anyone fly 2017 Evos in sub-10 sizes and if so are they stable and give good hangtime like bigger ones? My SBs are twitchy in 6 and 8 so thought Rebels would be better and that is true but wondering if I should have bought Evos. Also torn because Evo is supposed to change a lot? So I don’t want to become “dependent” on 2017 Evos if it’s not going to be a good big air kite anymore.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:18 pm

kateba wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm
I’ve been using 2017 Evos and like them very much and recently got an 8m 2018 Rebel. I am still not sure how I feel about it, great hang time but feels less smooth overall in terms of power delivery. But what I am most concerned about is that if I don’t sheet out while coming down by quite a bit the kite stalls or something and I crash (bad landing nothing traumatic). I normally rarely crash and also am not tall so sheeting our while in the air and especially when landing feels awkward. Is this normal for Rebels? Or is it the 8m size? Strangely I have an 8m SB with the same sheeting out thing which is part of why I got an 8 Rebel. My 10 and 12 Evos never need to be sheeted our when in air or landing. I can make it work but feels weird and I think it implies it is backstalling in air. This is in powered conditions 22kn I weigh 54k. I understand kites especially Rebel backstalling when edging hard but that hasn’t been my problem which is occurring in the air and I obviously got this kite for big air not lawn mowing. By the way when sheeting out the Rebel the landing is feather soft and massive hangtime but just don’t like having to do that. Do other Rebel flyers have to do this especially on smaller ones? Do other kites do this too? I’m using same 2017 quad bar on Evos and Rebels. Also does anyone fly 2017 Evos in sub-10 sizes and if so are they stable and give good hangtime like bigger ones? My SBs are twitchy in 6 and 8 so thought Rebels would be better and that is true but wondering if I should have bought Evos. Also torn because Evo is supposed to change a lot? So I don’t want to become “dependent” on 2017 Evos if it’s not going to be a good big air kite anymore.
Interesting. I have 7/9/12 2017 EVOs and the smaller sizes jump just as great as the larger. Can keep them sheeted in on big boosts no problem. I will sheet out sometimes to slow down the kite down on rotations, but as long as you redirect properly no need.

I would rate hangtime at 8/10 and am really curious how the new Rebel improves on this. My biggest concern is the loss of all around abilities going from EVO to new Rebel. For an all around kite EVOs have great turning speed for occasional loops and ok drift. Drift is especially nice when you make a mistake during boosts or rotational maneuvers as the kite doesn’t stall and fall out of the sky. I have a feeling the new Rebel will be less forgiving due to higher aspect.

The new 2018 EVO is really the joker here. If they can keep the same EVO characteristics and potentially add a bit to hangtime I would be sold as the 2017s are really hard to beat for all around fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”