forum for kitesurfers

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Feasibility of the ONE for surf, foil and kitesurf

Postby Bletti » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 am

I cut my paipo/shinnster down to 128cm and it's great! It fits in my van sideways with my spitfire attached.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm

I don't think I'd want to try to surf (or even kitesurf) on a board that heavy. Personally on a trip I don't try to take everything with me or do it all... if I'm on a kite vacation and I have to bring a foil out, something is wrong lol.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Not sure what kind of surfing you want to do but that Shinn el stubbo can be used for :
surfing (strapless with fin)
skater (strapless no fin)
directional twintip (strap with fins)
foil with foil plate attached.

blast kiteboarding has a video showing it off:
phpBB [video]

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Last year I took a surf/kitesurf trip to Portugal and brought my surfboard, 5'11'' 34L, and paipo. I added straps to the paipo for a few flat water sessions and as an option in case I needed to jump close outs. The paipo made great protection for the surfboard in my bag. This was before I started foiling. Now I foil on the paipo but at 5'7" already feel it's a little too long.
Although a mini-to-micro Simmons or fish style grovel surfboard could be both short enough for foils and floaty enough for paddling, there still seems some sense in packing 2 boards if you have to pay (probably $100-150 each way :( ) for a coffin bag.
But a pocketboard, foil and a kite or two in a golf bag will save some money and hassle, if renting a surfboard is a good option. Depends on style and where you are traveling.
What I am curious about is a low volume pocket board/shorter paipo that is fun to ride with or without a foil. But more float than my normal paipo that almost sinks with foil on.
And possibly a 5'6"-5'10 paipo or Simmons outline surfboard with 35-40L for mellow surfing, light wind kitesurfing, and possible paddle in foiling.
A piece of foam in my backyard is contemplating becoming one of these...

Return to “Kitesurfing”