Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinn Jackson foil 120

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Benicia Wind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Benicia CA USA
Favorite Beaches: Benicia CA USA
Style: strapless foil
Gear: DIY foil. NRG surfboard. Jimmy Lewis surfboard. Liquid Force One 12M. Slingshot Rally 9M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shinn Jackson foil 120

Postby Benicia Wind » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Anybody know how much this board weighs? I can't find it in the specs. Looks like a fun board.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Shinn Jackson foil 120

Postby windmaker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am

My personal experience , had a go on the bigger size board (I think 135) equipped with an alloy mast and yellow wings. After foilboarding for 12 years and having owned and tested a dozen foils it was my worst foilboarding experience.

It's a toy. Plastic wings you can actually bend with your fingesr and vibrate like crazy, board is too flexible has almost no nose rocker, weighs a tonne .

Was really disappointed as I think they are made by Zeeko who make really good foils.

Funny how all the late comers into foilboarding (Naish/Cabrinha/Shinn etc) make some of the worst foils out there. Though they would avoid the mistakes others made years ago....

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am
My personal experience , had a go on the bigger size board (I think 135) equipped with an alloy mast and yellow wings. After foilboarding for 12 years and having owned and tested a dozen foils it was my worst foilboarding experience.

It's a toy. Plastic wings you can actually bend with your fingesr and vibrate like crazy, board is too flexible has almost no nose rocker, weighs a tonne .

Was really disappointed as I think they are made by Zeeko who make really good foils.

Funny how all the late comers into foilboarding (Naish/Cabrinha/Shinn etc) make some of the worst foils out there. Though they would avoid the mistakes others made years ago....
They aren't made by Zeeko. When the news first came out about it I speculated the mast was the same as zeeko, but Mark Shinn joined the tread to tell us it's a completely separate endeavour. Which are your favorite alu foils?

jash999
Medium Poster

Postby jash999 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 am

The 145 is super heavy, whistles like crazy and as described by others also has no rocker resulting in a very uncomfortable ride w scary sudden stalls. Also the stabilizer is made of 2 pieces that come apart in no time.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 am

Dear Windmaker,

where have you tried the JACKSON 135? There is no serial production board in this size. Could it be that you have tried a prototype with a too soft core? The Jackson I know has some plenty of nose rocker. The board has a typical weight of the boards build in snowboard construction which results in something around 4 kg in this size.

Cheers

Shinnworld2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cabezo, Tenerife
Gear: Shinn, Blade, Da Kine,
Brand Affiliation: Owner Shinn Kiteboards

Postby Shinnworld2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:59 am

Hi all,
Just a couple of points to clarify here.....I just want to point out facts, I will not comment on user experience as every user is entitled to their own opinion.

There is no Jackson 135 and never was till now, there is 120 and 145.

Both boards have plenty of nose rocker 85mm to be exact, 120 and 145 have the same nose lift, this compares to a TT which typically may have something around 45 to 50mm

Jackson is EXTREMELY stiff, the bevelled rails increase the stiffness hugely. I don't think you can find another ABS technology foil board as stiff. I have the numbers to prove this but I am not going to quote the results of the testing I did on competitors products.

We have absolutely ZERO to do with Zeeko. Nothing whatsoever.

Our wings are carbon/epoxy composite, they are not plastic. They are certainly not made in 2 parts (well the mould is in 2 parts if that's what you mean!). We had a small batch of stabilisers that did crack and they have all replaced under warranty as you would expect, if any more crack they will also be replaced under warranty. I think you will find it hard to show me a company that never had any manufacturing defects no matter how hard they try (I do believe that's why companies offer warranty?).

Jackson weights I have already posted on this forum including pictures of the boards on weighing scales to demonstrate I am not lying. For sure it weighs more than a delicate carbon volume style board - but it has infinitely more durability.

We have a great deal of customer feedback stating that they find the 145 Jackson to be one of the boards most resistant to nose diving on touch downs, incidentally nose rocker has much less effect on nose diving on touch downs than you would imagine. 120 is a small board and nose diving on touchdowns comes as standard on such short boards. In fact as my foil skills are not at expert levels I prefer to ride a longer board for exactly this reason. Having said that Blazej Ozog rides the 120 and I have rarely if ever seen him nose dive on it...... I guess his skill level is much higher than mine.

To those that don't like our foils.... I'm sorry to hear that, you can be sure that I have tested a great number of foils in the market and don't share your opinion however the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. The more foils I test the more I understand that foiling is heavily influenced by rider ability, style and agility. The twin tip market is full of different boards to satisfy every riders demands, it's pretty reasonable to expect that in time foils will follow the same path.

Regards
Mark

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 am

We've done so well with the jackson and the Shinn foils this year in the UK.
The F foil is pretty quick and well liked by those who are high level, but for us the market has been dominated by the P wing. It's been like the depower kite revolution in foilboarding - gets up and going at 7 kmh, and it's top end is 38kmh, which is not slow, I've not seen a wing like it so far - looks very different but makes life SO easy. It's pitch control is crazy easy and the 145 Jackson a really easy board to deal with - nose strikes? Have a look at the vids below.

The biggest problem this year has been the supply, but peak season I doubt they could ever have coped with the peak demand.
There are massively positive real-world reviews all over the net if you care to look. Looking forward to new wings and additional product next year for all that came to the table thanks to the P wing this year...

Below are two really nice vids from one of the UK dealers - Blast Kiteboarding - South Wales
Mark has been riding a good few designs including a season on the zeeko alloy - for him the P wing was a revelation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptweQZcyj04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9zZoc-zvsE

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am
My personal experience ,
I would say that you sound like a very advanced rider - the majority of kiters getting into the sport are not your level - it's a hard sport to master, with no end of used super aggressive kit (that the majority cannot ride). We've seen two seasons of an impossible learning curve for all but the gifted (even some high end non foiling riders really struggle), and this year the P Foil from shinn has brought a lot of people to the water that would never have survived the traditional learning curve. For that we are very grateful, and impressed at the real-world engineering the kit has brought to the industry.

Harri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Austria and Italy
Gear: ...

Postby Harri » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Benicia Wind wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm
Anybody know how much this board weighs? I can't find it in the specs. Looks like a fun board.
I have the 120 and mine weighs about 3,5 kg. As Mark already mentioned it is really very durable, no comparison to lighter carbon boards, i've already owned. Touchdowns are no problems, as you can see in linked video (lightwind 6-8 knots, no whitecaps visible, Foil is DIY, no Shinn).
Caused by the chine rails it is quite stiff, of course not as as stiff as a volume board. AND they are great in tight turns! Not to forget the trim tracks! Great and simple solution on no-volume-board. I've missed that on my previous boards with no volume. Only thing i've to criticize is the pad: sidewalls go apart, but no big issue to glue it.

short vid with some touchdowns
https://vimeo.com/234104050

Return to “Hydrofoil”