forum for kitesurfers

ITN
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Reo 2016 7m 9m 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Safety release on Ozone Reo

Postby ITN » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I use a Liquid force mission bar with my Ozone Reos and the only two times I’ve had to release to safety on the beach, the kite has landed and remained on its back. It’s depowered but still active and I can’t get to it without it hopping away down the beach as I walk towards it. It’s been awhile since I’ve had to release a kite but I do remember they would normally land completely depowered on its front.

Is this because of an incompatibility between liquid force bars and ozone bars or have I just been unlucky twice? It took quite a bit of maneouvering to flip the kite over from afar and once I couldn’t even do it and had to walk up to it holding one center line while it was hovering off the ground. Thoughts?

Ps in meantime both times I released was because no one around to land me and I couldn’t self land due to too much wind. Any tips on self landing in stronger winds? I can usually do it when it’s lighter but maybe my technique is off.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

jetboy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Safety release on Ozone Reo

Postby jetboy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Did you hit your safety with your kite high? Always rig your kites safety line to be the top front line. Ie if your landing to the left it will be your right line. Fly your kite forward to edge of window until wing tip nearly touches and hit release and pull your safety line low at same time as taking a couple of steps back. It should sit leading edge down into wind. If it’s not maybe the travel of the bar is more or less on your set up. But if you do it as above it shouldn’t give the kite a chance to do anything but land

ITN
Medium Poster

Postby ITN » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks Jetboy. Yes it was pretty high the last time. For some reason I thought It would be better to do it higher up so it didn’t slide down the beach from the edge. The other time maybe the safety was on the bottom I can’t remember. Thanks for the tip I shall give it a go.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:24 pm

What size Reo? Maybe not enough throw or
I assume the LF bar is single front line release?

ITN
Medium Poster

Postby ITN » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 pm

It was a 12m and yes the LF bar is a single frontline safety. What should it be? Modifiable?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:48 pm

Single front line is right. 12m is on the larger side but it “should” work. Just make sure when the bar slides up the single release line it goes far enough up to depower the kite. If the wind is light it might not pull hard enough to get the bar to travel as far as it needs to or there might be a stopper on the line.

ITN
Medium Poster

Postby ITN » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 am

jetboy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 pm
Did you hit your safety with your kite high? Always rig your kites safety line to be the top front line. Ie if your landing to the left it will be your right line. Fly your kite forward to edge of window until wing tip nearly touches and hit release and pull your safety line low at same time as taking a couple of steps back. It should sit leading edge down into wind. If it’s not maybe the travel of the bar is more or less on your set up. But if you do it as above it shouldn’t give the kite a chance to do anything but land
Tried this for first time today in honking wind. Put the safety to the top front line and pulled the safety trigger with wing tip forward just above the ground and it just landed perfectly right there. Amazing. Thanks for that tip mate. No more bouncing around trying to self land.

Return to “Kitesurfing”