Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Dauphin Island
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for other kiteboarders near Dauphin Island

Postby ryanscdavis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 am

I just moved about 15 minutes from Dauphin Island, Alabama, and I am looking to meet up with other kiters.
Let me know if you kite this location regularly or if you know of any resources that might connect me with others in the area.
Thanks.

mbs
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Kites and boards

Re: Looking for other kiteboarders near Dauphin Island

Postby mbs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 am

Not sure about Dauphin, but in pensacola there are a few of us. Out on the beach can ride on sound side or Gulf side depending on the wind direction or your preference for waves or flat. Most people go to an area called Big Sabine, on National seashore section of beach east of pensacola beach and west of Navarre. Probably 45 min to hour drive from where you are.

Fort Walton Beach / Destin area has more kiters but it's a little further for you. Okaloosa island is where you'll find the most over there. there's a shop called XL kite in ft Walton. Maybe someone there might have some info for you.

I just got back from a glorious foiling sunset session in the sound and I was the only one out. I'm originally from Miami and I think it's pretty nice that there's not so many riders up here compared to the crazy scene down there with limited access and crowded kite beaches. In pensacola there are literally miles of empty undeveloped beaches in the national seashore areas. If you don't mind self launching and landing it's easy to find a spot where you'll be the only one there which to me is nice and peaceful. But if you are looking to meet orher kiters, try big Sabine or okaloosa island, not too far of a drive from Mobile.

Hope you've been able to enjoy the last several days of great wind. :thumb:

ryanscdavis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Dauphin Island
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Re: Looking for other kiteboarders near Dauphin Island

Postby ryanscdavis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks for the info! I was actually planning on making a trip to Pensacola soon to stay with some friends for a few days. I will definitely by visiting the spots that you suggested. Until then, I guess I will be practicing my self-launches on Dauphin Island.

Return to “Kitesurfing”