Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Skimboard foils

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
neptune262
Rare Poster
Style: Relaxed and fun - Wave and big air
Gear: Peter Lynn ARCs, Crazy Fly Sculp, Naish Trip, Nobile NHP TT and Skim, Litewave surfboard, Litewave Vision and Wing, Naish Hover 130 Foil, Cabrinha VMG Race board
Brand Affiliation: None - whatever works for me!
Has thanked: 0

Skimboard foils

Postby neptune262 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 am

Hi all,

I was very interested when Nobile first announced the skimboard foil concept. I have never seen any on the water, apart from in the promo video, so wondered if anyone has any actual experience of using the skimboard with a foil?

I also see that now the board shape outline is completely different now:
http://nobilekiteboarding.com/products/ ... board.html

So does a skimboard shape work with a foil, or not? Is it too wide, is this why the design has changed? I was thinking about drilling some holes in an old Nobile Skim I have and mounting my foil to that. Don't want to bother if the feedback is that it is a bad idea to start with!

Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Skimboard foils

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am

There are several good topics (threads) about this - try to do a search in here and see what you find :D

If you dont succeed, we can do it as I remember some of the threads.

Got a skimboard foil myself :naughty:

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm

I use a skim as a full time foil board. Challenge was to find one strong/stiff enough but still simple enough to do a clean mount. The size for me is pretty perfect for my natural stance with just enough nose to work. Mine has quite a bit of rocker for a skim. Works really well for all but the absolute lowest end foiling where a bit of float helps out. For 10 knots and up its easy to waterstrart as it sits nice and low in the water. Be aware you need enough overall flotation and maybe some very bright colour as it will sit really low in the water. Once bonus is that is won't drift downwind as fast as a board with more volume. Foils can take off on you!
IMG_3241.jpg
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3456.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Sorry neptune262, it was not as easy to search as I imagined at first...

One long thread from this spring: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2395407

One 2 year old thread: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 3&p=903752

I can see a new Nobile Skim is 130 x 50.5 cm which is a good size, would work just fine when some experience and ready to live with it diving down under the surface if it is flat.

But not at all easy to learn on this - get something longer and thicker for learning, and with straps/hooks or something.

8) PF

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I moved from an Alien Air to a Nobile skim on my Lift foil; it made it much more lively. The strap positions are close to ideal ( I don't use a rear strap, but it looks about right.) The board is stiff enough that I have not noticed any flex in it and the orange deck pad helps when you fall off. The foil attachment is by 6mm inserts, and my foil has 8mm holes ( as most plates do ), I slid some 6mm ID / 8mm OD plastic tube over some 6mm bolts to get them centered and it all goes together perfectly with a big washers on top of each 8mm hole. I found it better than the Alien Air for touchdown gybes, it just keeps moving, whereas the Alien would come to a stop...
Here it is in action: https://youtu.be/WD7aJCj7WZM

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm

I had bolted my original Fish Foil to a Victoria Skim Board and it worked quite well until I almost snapped the skim board completely in half and lost the foil.

My goal in life is to find a board that will get me up and planing in the lightest wind possible (100kg!!) so I can then pop onto the foil.
I didn't really want to buy a large floaty board with lots of swing weight, so I started on the El Stubbo (too small), Shinnster (better), Jackson (still too small. too much rocker), Crazyfly door (pretty good but ugly), Victoria Skim (pretty good but mechanically weak).

Naish has bought out a skim board/foil board, Naish Hover 155. Slightly larger and wider than the Victoria, definitely more surface area than the Stubbo/Shinnster/Jacksons, very flat with some nose rocker. They used tracks to hold the foil, so you can move the position of the mast around.

Should get to try it tomorrow. But pretty sure this will be the light wind monster and the jackson will be the surf monster.

http://www.naishkites.com/product/hover-155/

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 am

I have been riding the Nobile Skim Foil as my main board for the last six months or so.

I'm really happy with the board. Decent price, nice length, good width under the front foot, decent amount of nose rocker, and a nice amount of flotation for my Zeeko White and Black and Zeeko Spitfire foils.

Only negative is that it is a bit on the heavy side. But it is very durable with the wood core and ABS rails.

neptune262
Rare Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn ARCs, Crazy Fly Sculp, Naish Trip, Nobile NHP TT and Skim, Litewave surfboard, Litewave Vision and Wing, Naish Hover 130 Foil, Cabrinha VMG Race board

Postby neptune262 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm
Sorry neptune262, it was not as easy to search as I imagined at first...

One long thread from this spring: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2395407

One 2 year old thread: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 3&p=903752

I can see a new Nobile Skim is 130 x 50.5 cm which is a good size, would work just fine when some experience and ready to live with it diving down under the surface if it is flat.

But not at all easy to learn on this - get something longer and thicker for learning, and with straps/hooks or something.

8) PF
Thanks PF, yes I had a quick search - I am not a learner and have been foiling now for some time - I am just looking at other boards to expand my foiling experience to, as well as a more stable platform than my 130 x 42 present board, for transitions, playing in waves - I always like having a skim board in my quiver to mess around with on small wave days, so thought it might be easy to add 4 holes for my foil!! :wink:

It appears that the Nobile skim foil wasn't that popular - but interesting that now Naish have added a skim board to their foil board options.

Thanks to you all for posting your own options, trials and tribulations - they give me inspiration to try it!!

neptune262
Rare Poster

Postby neptune262 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:31 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm
I had bolted my original Fish Foil to a Victoria Skim Board and it worked quite well until I almost snapped the skim board completely in half and lost the foil.

My goal in life is to find a board that will get me up and planing in the lightest wind possible (100kg!!) so I can then pop onto the foil.
I didn't really want to buy a large floaty board with lots of swing weight, so I started on the El Stubbo (too small), Shinnster (better), Jackson (still too small. too much rocker), Crazyfly door (pretty good but ugly), Victoria Skim (pretty good but mechanically weak).

Naish has bought out a skim board/foil board, Naish Hover 155. Slightly larger and wider than the Victoria, definitely more surface area than the Stubbo/Shinnster/Jacksons, very flat with some nose rocker. They used tracks to hold the foil, so you can move the position of the mast around.

Should get to try it tomorrow. But pretty sure this will be the light wind monster and the jackson will be the surf monster.

http://www.naishkites.com/product/hover-155/
Let us know how you find it - haven't heard of any demo reports yet!! :thumb:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I mounted my original LF foil to a LF twinskim and it's worked great, no straps though. I don't understand why width would be an issue, you're only on the board for a second before you take off on to the foil.

Are skim boards good for touchdowns and rail strikes? Nope, they aren't.
IMG_4735s.jpg
IMG_4735s.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

Return to “Hydrofoil”