Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How often do you swim in @ <10knots ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

How often do you swim in @ <10knots ?

Postby abel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am

I think that I'm swimming in more than I should.
The problem is that, during light winds, there's nobody else at my spot, so it's difficult to estimate if others have the same issues I have during the lulls.
I wonder if the swim-in is inevitable or there's something I can improve to avoid the situation.
For winds 6-12 knots averaging 10, I have a swim in 1 out of 3 sessions.
The situation on the beach is such, that during the lulls I have to pull a rear line to avoid it touching the sand once every few minutes (single strut kite static at ~45 deg).

What's your experience?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: How often do you swim in @ <10knots ?

Postby revhed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am

Can we assume your are in on shore winds?
If so stay close observing KBHF rule number one, never run aground.
Then if wind drops simply do down turn infinities with KBHF piloted board on water and pointing down wind with other hand to get ashore.
If off shore be hyper aware of any and all wind "tells" and for sure know well how to roll lines, arrange kite and swim in.
Big loops are your lowind friend!
R H

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Almost every single time. :-(

I'm too stupid. All too often I turn up for a forecast of 12-15knots and its more like 10-13. Go out anyway and then end up stalling the kite when it lulls to 6 knots. Fortunately I haven't needed to swim in cold water yet. I don't go down to the beach that much when its marginal winds in the winter

Its pretty much the reason I'm not hooked on the whole hydrofoiling thing. Too many sessions end in an exhausting swim (anything more than 25m for me counts as an exhausting swim for me). I think its just local conditions. We either seem to get enough wind to twin tip (18+knots) or 10-12 with lulls. If I regularly had 10-12 knots I'd probably buy the right tools for the job (foil kite).

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I only fly foil kites on my foil board and so when it is <10 I use a 15m sonic which stays in the air in really light wind. I only swam in once since starting KHF and that was in the summer when the wind went offshore and died for some odd reason (not forecast to swing or drop!)

In light winds, you really do need to have a foil kite and good skills as if a tube kite goes down in 10 knots due to a stall or lull, it will be very tricky to get back up again.

Over 10 knots, ride with a tube. That's the way I see it.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm

After a few long swims if your kite still ends up in the drink then your LW kite is not really for LW, or your need to improve your LW skills or you really like swimming.

Imho a 80ish kg rider needs a 10-12m2 foil kite for LW foiling. You rig bigger and will be overpowered easily but for racers its not an issue.

If the wind is really light I always stay close to shore but time to time a swim is guaranteed if pushing the limits.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 pm

it's not the wind speed, it's how gusty it is. If it goes from 20 mph down to 0 and the kite falls out of the sky and waves eat it, what can you do?
If it's blowing a solid 8 knots, between 7-9 you can keep the kite in the air all day. That said, swimming is good exercise, go for it! I know I test the limits.

Gueroo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen/Cancun- Cabarete- Puerto Rico
Style: All kinds!
Gear: WH - Tona - Cabrinha - Mystic - WMFG
Brand Affiliation: Tona Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gueroo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm

If you are alone, I would much prefer an SLE, maybe one strut like a mono, or LF solo. Something that flies well and easy relaunch. I have had my fair share of swims with the Hf.
I think in light winds around 8-10 knots, if you are not decent with the foil kite and it comes down, the swim is 10 times worse!!!!

If you are alone, and you have a tendency to swim often, dont go for a foil kite!
I would practice rolling the kite on its back to launch, or becoming a kite loop king! loops always save the day.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 pm

The type of wind at different locations makes a massive difference. At home on the river I ride on I get maybe a 6 or 7 km fetch max, and might only have 2 km of wind coming over the open water. I recently was down on Lake Ontario where despite the light wind, with 100+ km of fetch and the right weather conditions, the wind was super steady. That made the chance of dropping the kite in a lull almost zero. What a difference it made!

Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:55 pm

The answer for me is never. But I don't hunt ultra light winds unless I'm really desperate. The trick in the ulta light is to keep moving and keep the kiting moving. If your foiling and looping the kite wont fall in the drink unless there's a zero wind.

If the wind is so fickle that it constantly turns on and off then I go mountain biking and have more fun!

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Zero swims so far with my Chrono V2 UL 15m, and i do go out in extremely light winds with the hidrofoil. This kite only goes on the water by rider mistake, it nearly flies with no wind.

With the LEI Voyager v3 12m i had a few swims, when the wind dropped under 6 knots.

With "normal" kites, you will swim alot in anything under 10 knots, thats normal.

Return to “Hydrofoil”