Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby juandesooka » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm
Experimenting is a tall order sometimes. Have only about half the time on the water this season for a whole host of reasons. Until I start getting bored simply getting out there, I can't bring myself to sacrifice the time.
Likewise. It is pretty rare to have enough quality time on the water that you're willing to give up part of a session for semi-failed experimenting. Especially if your conditions leave a small window of good wind -- I rarely leave the beach when it's still blowing!

When I made my mock-spitfire DIY wings, the initial tries kinda sucked, but I forced myself to put in enough effort to be sure of their capabilities. Took 5 or 6 sessions to get a feel for them, once figured them out they were fun. But then moved back to my much loved stringy's for the rest of summer, to enjoy the cruisey fun.

I will get them out again next spring -- on that mythical day where you're at the beach all day, with hours of wind and can feel free to play around. ;-)

Same with SUP foil. I intended to make a canard and figure it out, but decided I don't want to spend my limited free time floundering when I could be riding high. More time for experimentation in "retirement", if my joints last that long.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

I have about 5 hrs so far on the Lickity Spit (standard Spitfire rear wing + XLW front wing) first session 12 to 14 knots 2nd session 15 to 21 knots so far I see no real down side to this configuration. The foil feels much more lively maneuverable and slippery less drag) but still very stable. I supposed below 10 knots I'd want the extra lift of the full XLW for transitions. I think a beefed up version of the spitfire with longer fuselage and larger wings would kill current large wing surf sup foil designs
Last edited by airsurfer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

If one of the key things with a canard foil is to create pitch stability, that could be something that is suited to testing with a rig and a flow tank.

As the angle of attack is increased, the wings are swung forward on the end of a 1 metre mast, so the centre of lift would move forward - unless with the increase of angle of attack, the % of lift provided by the rear wing increases relative to the front wing. A lot of development of wings and geometry could be done in a flow tank.

Nicolas has said that he has tried the XLW for windsurfing and it doesn't just transfer to that without further development. That may be the next development - to have a bigger pair of canard wings for windfoiling.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm
I have about 5 hrs so far on the Lickity Spit (standard Spitfire rear wing + XLW front wing) first session 12 to 14 knots 2nd session 15 to 21 knots so far I see no real down side to this configuration. The foil feels much more lively maneuverable and slippery less drag) but still very stable. I supposed below 10 knots I'd want the extra lift of the full XLW for transitions. I think a beefed up version of the spitfire with longer fuselage and larger wings would kill current large wing surf sup foils
The length of the fuselage may be more proportional to the length of the mast than the size of the wings? Because the length of the mast influences the distance the wings move to change the AOA?

Also the more even the size of the wings, maybe the distance between the wings can be decreased - if a higher % of lift can be transferred when the wings are more even? That could also depend on how the changes in AOA's of the wings (which are different) affect the lift produced at any particular foil geometry and change of angle of the mast.

Gobigorfoil
Rare Poster
Gear: Core GTS4, Best Cabo and Xenon Laluz /Zeeko HF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gobigorfoil » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 am

Hey,

Just a short question - I'm currently using the carver setup with the white and green foil,
looking to move into the spitfire. Is it possible to use the spitfire mast with the original white and green fuselage + wings?
Is it possible to use the spitfire fuselage with the white and green wings?

Thank you :)

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 am

Gobigorfoil wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 am
Hey,
Just a short question - I'm currently using the carver setup with the white and green foil,
looking to move into the spitfire. Is it possible to use the spitfire mast with the original white and green fuselage + wings?
Yes I believe so, bolt patterns obviously match, although because the Spitfire mounting plate has a little angle built in it, you might find that your board rides nose up a little bit. (or nose down)
Gobigorfoil wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 am
Is it possible to use the spitfire fuselage with the white and green wings?
No, at least for the main wing, the way the wing is cut to fit the fuselage is in opposite direction.

I've sold my blue/white/carver setup now that I have the Spitfire XLW, and I don't really miss it so far.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:23 pm

The masts for the spitfire and the white green are identical although one is mounted a couple cm farther forward on the top plate. The fuselages are completely different of course.

CG

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm

I like the length of the spitfire mast. Its short enough that I don't have to body drag out past the break like my friends.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm

clint2070 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm
I like the length of the spitfire mast. Its short enough that I don't have to body drag out past the break like my friends.
+1 I'd also like to have an even shorter option 70cm to get out past the reef and surf in shallow breaks without fear of destroying the foil

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 am

You only have to ask for the 70cm mast then after a pile of emails from Nicolas trying to talk you out of it.
They will make it up for you.

Return to “Hydrofoil”