Hey Royce

Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:56 pm

My kiting friend Chris just returned from PR. He told me about a guy named Royce. I guess that's you?

Do you remember him? He rode RRD kites and board. He tells a story about your very narrow and scary beach launches. Launching the kite in the power zone and getting thrown into the water due to the wind angle to the beach.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dwight on 2002-09-03 16:00 ]</font>

Royce
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Royce » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:56 pm

Yeah man. That be us. Sadly the launch is scary and it is important to get your gear right. We have had 0 accidents involving injury from the launch but most of it is hot launching unless you ask otherwise. Say Hi to him for me. PS what is his web site address for the surf link? I forgot it.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:00 pm

Hry he better have said some good things too.....yeah. I heard he was here for a stag party. Good choice of places to go.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:11 pm

http://www.surfchex.com and http://www.wect.com

He is our local TV weatherman.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:53 pm

Hello Dwight,

A kiteboarding TV weatherman? I am impressed! It would be great if I could talk with him about some weather related subjects in the future. Could you put me in touch with him Dwight?

Thanks,
Rick Iossi
flkitesurfer@hotmail.com

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:47 pm

I had a chance to kite at Royce's site last year (june 2001? I think). He is really nice guy in person despite his nasty tone in his posts here Image
and he had some pretty cool doggies running around his backyard.

He inspired/taught me to do my first forward rotations by yelling a little advice/encouragement as he went by as he was putting off downwind in his little inflatable boat to rescue one of his students ..thanks.

His beach kind of sets up with a side offshore wind direction on launch. I think for some people they were puttng the kite in the water on its back and then the student/kiter would let it drift over to the side of the window in the water and then launch it just like a normal water relaunch. This would lead to a pretty mellow launch. The other alternative was to have a launcher hold the kite pointed diagonally upward in the center of the powerzone and let it rip...that opens you eyes right up...

On the water it was very cool spot to kite with lots of room, flattish water on the inside and reef outside, and what seemd like consistent wind, at least while I was there. Hoping to get back there sometime.

-Peter

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:26 am

Dwight, thanks. Great weather site. I woke up at 430am to the sound of waves...first for the seasson. Now it just has to get light....I'm outta ere.

Return to “Kitesurfing”