Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

Forum for kitesurfers
Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!!!

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 pm

DWX wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am
Really? Looks like the ones who made the lawn mowing comments clearly don’t know shit about this sport if they think it’s either mowing the lawn or handlepass. You bought into a hype created by the industry and have no firsthand experience of the sport. Just typists and wet dreamers!
I never mentioned anything mowing the lawn, neither did I say that it was the only alternative to handlepasses. As far as experience goes, I've only been kiting for 18 years, which I guess in your demented view of the universe counts as "no firsthand experience of the sport"
DWX wrote:
4 out of 5 kiters on Cumbuco beach have wakestyle injuries! But you wouldn’t know bc you sit in your dungeon waiting for dragons...
So according to your previous posts, only 1% of kiters perform the style - yet 80% of the riders you meet have been injured by it?? Makes perfect sense :roll:

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Dont feed the troll, She clearly knows whats up after three years kiting.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 pm
DWX wrote:
Really? Looks like the ones who made the lawn mowing comments clearly don’t know shit about this sport if they think it’s either mowing the lawn or handlepass. You bought into a hype created by the industry and have no firsthand experience of the sport. Just typists and wet dreamers!
I never mentioned anything mowing the lawn, neither did I say that it was the only alternative to handlepasses. As far as experience goes, I've only been kiting for 18 years, which I guess in your demented view of the universe counts as "no firsthand experience of the sport"
DWX wrote:
4 out of 5 kiters on Cumbuco beach have wakestyle injuries! But you wouldn’t know bc you sit in your dungeon waiting for dragons...
So according to your previous posts, only 1% of kiters perform the style - yet 80% of the riders you meet have been injured by it?? Makes perfect sense :roll:
Was I talking to you? Yes, only 1% of kiters can perform the most demanding tricks... that’s common sense
What’s your point. Just wanted to kick me, right! Well hope you got your pathetic jackass kick

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 pm

RideLow wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Dont feed the troll, She clearly knows whats up after three years kiting.
Calling the kettle black? There are kiters with just one year experience who know more than someone who’s been a jackass 20 years

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

DWX wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Was I talking to you?
You replied to my posts so the implication would be yes, you were. Or is that not how conversation works in Cumbuco?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Well, this thread wend exactly where it usually goes around here - only a handful of people really take the time to read what's written, everybody else are just seeing what they want to see and massaging their egos.

Hey, the beauty of this sport is that you're free to do anything you want - whatever floats your boat dude!

My main point had to do with promotional videos that companies post on social medias and the content of 99% of which can be summarized with lots of:
-a pop
-followed by some variation of this:
485710ba35398e72fe78cdd296b87e00.jpg
485710ba35398e72fe78cdd296b87e00.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 821 times
-followed by a knees-shattering landing

Is this really what this sport is all about or is this where the companies want to steer the sport towards? Am I the only one who finds it annoying, uninteresting and fake?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm

The reason that companies use wake style kiters to show off their kites is simple, that's who wins the competitions. In order to branch out companies need to recruit personalities like Ruben Lenten who is the megaloop king (they have done that), and also kiteforum's very own Toby. It's on Toby to step up and accept an offer from North to become a company rep for his own style, get into the promos and show off how to promote kites with airstyle. That's all he has to do, cooperate with North (he already rides North kites, and north control bars) and this can happen. Toby refuses for reasons I can't understand. That is the way forward for companies to be more inclusive in their promos. I can't think of anyone that doesn't compete who might do more, maybe Kai Lenny who is promoting a waterman style of life, not just wakestyle, but Kai is already with Naish, or NIck Jacobson who has his own special style that isn't wakestyle, but he's already with Slingshot.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Don't forget Lewis Crathern.

For me the highest values Kites. Great guy. Great rider. Does so much for the sport specially in UK.

Great ambassador for the sport.

The main reason I am not sponsored is that I run Kiteforum and therefore prefer to be independent.
This way I can be more loyal to all my advertisers.

Another reason is that I want to ride the gear that's perfect for me. They would need to develop my own gear. Sure, should be easy for them.
But would they pay my price? I doubt. Since I wouldn't do it for peanuts.

I wonder why we don't have Airstyle comps. Many do too. But, it's on me to change that. And if it all works out we should see some changes one day.
And be sure, free from any associations and politics...

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:23 am
Wakestyle and unhooking is stupid, unhealthy...
...pumping an ocasional boost, raving about the day when they'd have enough cojones to throw a megaloop...
Nobody cares about- wakestyle - nobody!!!

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm
DWX wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Was I talking to you?
You replied to my posts so the implication would be yes, you were. Or is that not how conversation works in Cumbuco?
I never replied to your post! And I believe I specifically addressed those who posted about lawn mowing... if you weren’t on their bandwagon you needn’t feel addressed!

Look, whatever your bones w me, no idea what you are talking about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”