Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao: Any info Appreciated

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Pogibro
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao: Any info Appreciated

Postby Pogibro » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:40 am

Has anybody done any kiting in these windy isles? All info greatly appreciated!

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jimmyc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:49 pm

Just a follow-up. I checked into Bonaire (Jan 2004) for suitability for kiteboarding. As of now, kiteboarding has been banned in Lac Bay on the eastern side of the island. From what I understand there are no other safe launches on the eastern side, the coastline is all rock.

The local kiters have taken to kiting on the west side in side-off and offshore winds. THere are no support boats at this time to save anyone with a problem. So, if you scerw up you are floating to Curacao. There is some talk amongst a travel coordinator to setup a concession at Pink Beach or Atlantis Beach and have a full-time rescue boat. They are in the talking about it stage.

Klein Bonaire is the small island off the west coast. You would have to take a boat out there or kite over from Pink or Atlantis beaches. On Klein Bonaire the wind would vary from offshore to on shore, with most locations being side shore.

That's all I know.

kitesurfvenezuela
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Los roques, adicora, coche.yaque,restinga,tortuga,tobago.
Favorite Beaches: Los roques
Style: wave
Gear: Crossbow II 12. Custom 133
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitesurfvenezuela » Mon May 24, 2004 7:13 pm

Aruba is your best choice of the three, better conditions and beaches geared for the sport, also adicora in venezuela 15 minute flight with santa barbara airlines, great spot wind all year uncrowded cheap safe. come chec it out!

Return to “Travel”