Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

Forum for kitesurfers
rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nobile splitboards. Please tell me why..

Postby rynhardt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Beachboy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:23 pm
I know this is probably difficult because of the concave, but does anybody think that it is possible to make the Ocean Rodeo Mako as a split?? I purchased another brand's split (don't want to run them down) this past year for a long trip. Where I live, there is no chance to try it, so I just ordered the split.I tried it many times to get used to it, but finally ended up schlepping my trusty Mako and Golf Bag on the trip. Hey Ocean Rodeo.... if possible, consider it.
Does the OR Mako have a wood core or foam? If wood then a DIY split can work easily. And you can make the strap as stiff as you like, I think they don't have a lot of flex in the middle anyway.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Beachboy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:23 pm
I know this is probably difficult because of the concave, but does anybody think that it is possible to make the Ocean Rodeo Mako as a split??
if a wood core, for 10 USD, you could have the first MAKO split... with the Saucisseman method

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am
If you booked Condor to fly from Germany to Brazil and you cannot take your board bag since everyone warns to do it and the plain is full, then you wish to have a splitboard!
Happens every year again.

Or you have to fly American Airlines where they charge 150 USD one way for your kite bag...for a 1.5 hour flight...and an extra bag is just 40 USD.

And more reasons why a split board is a good idea.
I don’t doubt the practical features for a second. That’s why I’m curious to hear from users like you. It’s the trade-off that I don’t fully understand. From my point of view though, when I travel to a nice spot I would rather pay the annoying extra charge, than show up on the beach with a board that does less for the same price of say a custom board that is objectively far better and offers more all-round performance. But thanks for the feedback.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 pm

This year i drove almost 10,000 miles on a motorcycle with a twin tip, hydrofoil, harness, and two kites. Never would have been possible without nobiles splitboards.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

I don’t doubt the practical features for a second. That’s why I’m curious to hear from users like you. It’s the trade-off that I don’t fully understand. From my point of view though, when I travel to a nice spot I would rather pay the annoying extra charge, than show up on the beach with a board that does less for the same price of say a custom board that is objectively far better and offers more all-round performance. But thanks for the feedback.
Like most boards, what qualifies as performance is very subjective. You could arguably find a split board that outperforms any other board, irrespective of whether it splits or not.
But expect to pay dearly for it if you buy off the shelf

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Like most boards, what qualifies as performance is very subjective. You could arguably find a split board that outperforms any other board, irrespective of whether it splits or not.
But expect to pay dearly for it if you buy off the shelf
I disagree completely that a production board could ever compete with a custom board. Objectively speaking, the custom format will always be better. Which is why I asked the question to begin with. Why price a production board (split feature or not) against the custom segment? You will lose..

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:52 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm

I disagree completely that a production board could ever compete with a custom board. Objectively speaking, the custom format will always be better. Which is why I asked the question to begin with. Why price a production board (split feature or not) against the custom segment? You will lose..
Well that's a slightly different issue then. There are production boards which are very very good. And there are likely custom boards that are quite mediocre. Depends on the manufacturer. Most people's confirmation bias will kick in and they would be happy either way.
A skilled custom builder could probably build a very high performance split board, no problem. It's not a particularly hard problem to solve.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:21 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:52 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Well that's a slightly different issue then. There are production boards which are very very good. And there are likely custom boards that are quite mediocre. Depends on the manufacturer. Most people's confirmation bias will kick in and they would be happy either way.
A skilled custom builder could probably build a very high performance split board, no problem. It's not a particularly hard problem to solve.
Point taken, but I think throwing a ton of one’s own hard earned money at a less than stellar custom shop is one’s own responsibility. I do a shitload of homework before I change even the smallest aspect of my gear and I think we all have to (there’s plenty of crap out there), so I don’t have much sympathy for the naive buyers who let themselves get played. I don’t own a custom board and I definitely agree with you that some production boards are excellent, no doubt. I guess, if it were me and a split option we’re high on my list of priorities, I would ask a custom builder to incorporate the split into an all-round custom board, as you mention. I just can’t see the justification of pricing production boards (no matter the innovation) with custom boards. I would walk right past that Nobile carbon split board if it were me. Anyways, thanks for the insight. Cheers.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 pm

I've found some weight specs for the Nobile split boards. Seems to be between 3.2kg and 3.6kg depending on board size.
I reckon my DIY split board will be around 3.6kg which seems pretty ballpark for a 146x46. Plus it can handle boots.

Looks like boots are not supported with the Nobile split boards. :-?
We kindly inform you that assembling the wakeboard bindings (stiff boots) is tantamount to the warranty loss.Please keep also in mind that if you ride in wakeboard bindings (stiff boots) on the following boards: NBL, T5, Flying Carpet, Flying Carpet Tandem, NHP, XTR, NHP Carbon, 2HD, T5 WMN, NHP WMN, NHP Split, Flying Carpet Split, NHP Carbon Split and Flying Carpet Carbon Split, you do it on your own (user’s) responsibility.Therefore, the warranty does not apply if the wakeboard bindings (stiff boots) have been mounted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”