Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

Forum for kitesurfers
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite companies - please stop the wakestyle hype!

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:21 pm

The latest video from Tom bridge is quite refreshing to watch even though it's unhooked. He is like the future Nick Jacobsen haha.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:45 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm

While I don’t know Nick personally, I see him often *wakestyling* at local beaches here in CPH. Pretty sure he would tell you to grab a tissue. Kevin probably would too. Just guessing.
Thanks for reviving this - undoubtedly - fun thread! :thumb:

The point of my post wasn't about what Nick and Kevin do, but about what they show in their videos. For the last couple of years it's mostly fun, varying stuff - not just:

-lots of pops
-followed by lots of variations of:
485710ba35398e72fe78cdd296b87e00.jpg
485710ba35398e72fe78cdd296b87e00.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
-followed by lots of knees-shattering landings

The beauty of this sport is that you're free to do what you want to do and there's really no reason for kite companies to be feeding wakestyle to kite community as the pinnacle of one's progression - it isn't.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:45 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm

While I don’t know Nick personally, I see him often *wakestyling* at local beaches here in CPH. Pretty sure he would tell you to grab a tissue. Kevin probably would too. Just guessing.
Thanks for reviving this - undoubtedly - fun thread! :thumb:

The point of my post wasn't about what Nick and Kevin do, but about what they show in their videos. For the last couple of years it's mostly fun, varying stuff - not just:

-lots of pops
-followed by lots of variations of:
485710ba35398e72fe78cdd296b87e00.jpg
-followed by lots of knees-shattering landings

The beauty of this sport is that you're free to do what you want to do and there's really no reason for kite companies to be feeding wakestyle to kite community as the pinnacle of one's progression - it isn't.
Haha! Yeah sorry about that. The consequences of shit posting I guess. People just keep piling on.

Come on dude. Don’t hate on wakestylers. Don’t be that guy. Personally, I will never be a wakestyler because I have prior injuries that make it too risky. I’d like to play with my kid in a few years time but I have the greatest of respect for the athleticism and skill it requires. I don’t feel like the industry wants to sell me on wakestyle. I can either choose to read about it and take an interest or I can ignore it.

Just to give a different example, I feel like everywhere I look all I hear about is foil boards and how foil racing is now becoming a thing. I’m not a foiler but judging from the meditation time I get from freeriding by myself on a TT, I can only imagine what the flow of a foil must feel like. I agree with you that kiteboarding is whatever you want it to be. That’s why I love it too. I can meditate, workout or just have fun with friends. And if some guy wants to splash around me in boots, well, peace is just a downloop turn away, isn’t it?

As for the products, I’m sure there’s an endless supply of half-brained measures and golden nugget innovations to keep us all trying to date our bank managers for years to come.

Be nice to the guys in boots. Please?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Come on dude. Don’t hate on wakestylers. Don’t be that guy. Personally, I will never be a wakestyler because I have prior injuries that make it too risky. I’d like to play with my kid in a few years time but I have the greatest of respect for the athleticism and skill it requires. I don’t feel like the industry wants to sell me on wakestyle. I can either choose to read about it and take an interest or I can ignore it.

Just to give a different example, I feel like everywhere I look all I hear about is foil boards and how foil racing is now becoming a thing. I’m not a foiler but judging from the meditation time I get from freeriding by myself on a TT, I can only imagine what the flow of a foil must feel like. I agree with you that kiteboarding is whatever you want it to be. That’s why I love it too. I can meditate, workout or just have fun with friends. And if some guy wants to splash around me in boots, well, peace is just a downloop turn away, isn’t it?

As for the products, I’m sure there’s an endless supply of half-brained measures and golden nugget innovations to keep us all trying to date our bank managers for years to come.

Lol, nothing against wakestyle or these practicing it as such, in fact I have tons of respect for the skill it takes. What bugs me - is that across social media, 49 out of every 50 videos posted are nothing but "yet another punk doing handle passes" with no visual value. Chicks are the worst ones, a fat cow wearing ice skates has more grace than girls waking... Damn, that recent Bruna's "Trick to beach front roll" recovery - was the most stylish wake trick of her carrier up until now. :baby: :lol: :naughty:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Lol, nothing against wakestyle or these practicing it as such, in fact I have tons of respect for the skill it takes. What bugs me - is that across social media, 49 out of every 50 videos posted are nothing but "yet another punk doing handle passes" with no visual value. Chicks are the worst ones, a fat cow wearing ice skates has more grace than girls waking... Damn, that recent Bruna's "Trick to beach front roll" recovery - was the most stylish wake trick of her carrier up until now. :baby: :lol: :naughty:
Like all other physically demanding sports, it’s pointless comparing men and women. We are built differently. There are plenty of super technical chicks who don’t need to ride hard and bless us with their bikini lines. Also plenty of muscle bound dickhead dudes who think the secret to wakestyle is brute force and who look like shit doing it. It takes all sorts..

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:21 pm
The latest video from Tom bridge is quite refreshing to watch even though it's unhooked. He is like the future Nick Jacobsen haha.
Send a link if you’ve got it.. One way I can spot If Nick is at a local spot: he’s usually riding 3 sizes bigger than the rest of us. Like a 9m in 35 knots. Maniac. There was a recent short documentary on the 200 meter Dubai hotel jump he did a while ago. The guy has the emotions of a brick. No nerves whatsoever.

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 am

Dear Mountain Biking companies, Please stop with your crazy Red Bull Rampage. Please stop with your Monster Full Loops. Please stop with your tail whips and table tops.
Dear Snowboarding companies, Please stop with your dangerous street sessions, 80 foot kickers, and super pipes hype. No one wants to see that - its too dangerous
Dear Rock Climbing companies, Please stop with your huge solo climbs of el capitan and impossible 8C/V15 boulders hype. No one can do those and its too dangerous.
Dear Motocross companies, Please stop those guys with tattoos from doing the freestyle, front flips and back flips hype. People can get hurt and no one wants to see it.
Dear Skateboard companies, Please stop showing guys doing those flip tricks - the board spins so fast and I can comprehend it. Surely no one wants to see that...oh and people can get hurt.
Dear Surf companies, Please stop showing Jaws, barrels and airs Everyone knows people can't do it and the majority of the market can only long board. You should be putting only longboarders in adverts and they should be featured in the brand videos only.
Dear Parkour, Can't you just walk - its much better on the knees and it appeals to me a lot more.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 am

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am
jeromeL wrote:
Send a link if you’ve got it.. One way I can spot If Nick is at a local spot: he’s usually riding 3 sizes bigger than the rest of us. Like a 9m in 35 knots. Maniac. There was a recent short documentary on the 200 meter Dubai hotel jump he did a while ago. The guy has the emotions of a brick. No nerves whatsoever.
Thats the one: https://www.facebook.com/15661952169410 ... 262883654/

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:13 am

MrWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 am
Dear Parkour, Can't you just walk - its much better on the knees and it appeals to me a lot more.
:rollgrin:

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:30 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 am
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am
jeromeL wrote:
Thats the one: https://www.facebook.com/15661952169410 ... 262883654/
Very nice. Massive talent that’s for sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”