Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whats a good used kite to learn kiteloops on?

Forum for kitesurfers
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: Whats a good used kite to learn kiteloops on?

Postby alexeyga » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm
Depends on local condition and wind, If you plan on learning on 9m, definitely get a C kite with fifth line, like Torch, GP. I guess Vegas, Fuel (if not gusty), Chaos. C4 seems to get good review too. haven't tried RPM and others.

Wind for 9m and speed of kite make it quite essential for kite to catch you very early (unless you boost of a ramp than sends you 30 feet up...).

If it is a smaller size like 8m or 7m you can probably get away with learning on any other kite. Also C kite are a lot cheaper used ;) since it has a "pro" reputation.

I tried Ocean Rodeo Razor 10m, it loops well but quite grunty, not sure how 9m is but from what I have tried I don't recommend to learn on... Also I don't really like how the power builds up in that kite, hard to explain. Maybe 9m is better.

Anyway I tried learning on Bandit 9m with stock line, it was quite a pain, by the time I got a C kite I could land some when condition where perfect but as soon as I switched I could land 99% of time even on poor looping condition just because kite catch you so much easier.

For example Cabrinha FX 9m is supposed to be great looping kite, I can loop it but I can tell back to back the GP catch me a lot earlier as soon as I sheet in, when FX you need to initiate the heliloop a bit earlier.

Another thing is that some hybrid kite have a weird power in the loop, the kite doesn't pull right away but when it accelerates it yanks you on a weird spike, which is hard to handle when you learn. on C the power seems more constant even though perhaps a bit gruntier.

Once your technique is better you can loop anything but in the beginning for a 9m I think you need a C!
What lines length are you running on your GP?

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:03 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 pm
jeromeL wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm
Depends on local condition and wind, If you plan on learning on 9m, definitely get a C kite with fifth line, like Torch, GP. I guess Vegas, Fuel (if not gusty), Chaos. C4 seems to get good review too. haven't tried RPM and others.

Wind for 9m and speed of kite make it quite essential for kite to catch you very early (unless you boost of a ramp than sends you 30 feet up...).

If it is a smaller size like 8m or 7m you can probably get away with learning on any other kite. Also C kite are a lot cheaper used ;) since it has a "pro" reputation.

I tried Ocean Rodeo Razor 10m, it loops well but quite grunty, not sure how 9m is but from what I have tried I don't recommend to learn on... Also I don't really like how the power builds up in that kite, hard to explain. Maybe 9m is better.

Anyway I tried learning on Bandit 9m with stock line, it was quite a pain, by the time I got a C kite I could land some when condition where perfect but as soon as I switched I could land 99% of time even on poor looping condition just because kite catch you so much easier.

For example Cabrinha FX 9m is supposed to be great looping kite, I can loop it but I can tell back to back the GP catch me a lot earlier as soon as I sheet in, when FX you need to initiate the heliloop a bit earlier.

Another thing is that some hybrid kite have a weird power in the loop, the kite doesn't pull right away but when it accelerates it yanks you on a weird spike, which is hard to handle when you learn. on C the power seems more constant even though perhaps a bit gruntier.

Once your technique is better you can loop anything but in the beginning for a 9m I think you need a C!
What lines length are you running on your GP?
I have stock 2015 GP 47cm bar so 22m I think. I have retuned the bar recently also I use the tight setting on fifth line, which we found out might help a tiny bit when looping in medium range.

My buddy has played around a bit with line length between 20,21,22,23 on Torch 10m they found out it can make huge difference in the feel. I forgot which line length he thought was ideal.

We have tried FX 9m with 17 ish m line length, loops were really aggressive lol.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 pm
Looking to learn how to kiteloop, so looking for a good used kite around 3 years old to learn on. 99% of my kiting has been with foil kites so I've been out of the loop on inflates. What do you guys suggest? Thanks

=Jason-
a small one!

7 or 9 and a little underpowered.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm

I just asked Ruben Lenten, he replied like usual.

"Just send it!!"

😂 The more I kiteloop the more I think he is right though. Just like what pj sofine said...

Return to “Kitesurfing”