Rare Poster
Gear: n
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby Xensr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Jelle_vw wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm
If my phone has the right sensors I could put it in a waterproof bag and wear it around my neck. I look forward to the development of this.
Thats exactly what we did at the 2014 Red Bull King Of The Air - we had our prototype XensrCase units - iPhone4S's with our sensor package in waterproof bags in the rider's wetsuits. The results were realtime to the judges and the live stream. As soon as they landed a jump, you saw the height, airtime and G's on the leaderboards as it happened.

Check out how it worked here
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQU1at3jp4k[/youtube]

As a product, the XensrCase failed as people didn't want to take their phone with them kiting, but now with waterproof smartwatches we're able to bring kite tracking back to the wearable world with our Sessions app for the Apple Watch.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Which is all great but I thought it was decided earlier that the waterproofing on Apple watches ain't good enough for kitesurfing?

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Xensr wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm
Jelle_vw wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm
If my phone has the right sensors I could put it in a waterproof bag and wear it around my neck. I look forward to the development of this.
Thats exactly what we did at the 2014 Red Bull King Of The Air - we had our prototype XensrCase units - iPhone4S's with our sensor package in waterproof bags in the rider's wetsuits. The results were realtime to the judges and the live stream. As soon as they landed a jump, you saw the height, airtime and G's on the leaderboards as it happened.

Check out how it worked here
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQU1at3jp4k[/youtube]

As a product, the XensrCase failed as people didn't want to take their phone with them kiting, but now with waterproof smartwatches we're able to bring kite tracking back to the wearable world with our Sessions app for the Apple Watch.
Thing is I have an android but if the app comes available I think I will try it.

BrollocksRSA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bloubergstrand
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan Main Beach
Bloubergstrand
Witsand
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 8m
2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 11m
2017 North Jaime Textreme 133

Postby BrollocksRSA » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 pm

andylc wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm
Which is all great but I thought it was decided earlier that the waterproofing on Apple watches ain't good enough for kitesurfing?
I've never had an issue kitesurfing with the Apple Watch Series 2. I wear it every time I go out and it's been going strong for almost a year now

Xensr
Rare Poster

Postby Xensr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

andylc wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm
Series 1, the first Apple Watch to be released, was not waterproof enough for kitesurfing. Series 2 and 3 are very waterproof. I even know someone who scuba dives with theirs.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm

I was thinking of buying a Woo but for around the same price, Id rather have an apple watch.

Xensr
Rare Poster

Postby Xensr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm
I was thinking of buying a Woo but for around the same price, Id rather have an apple watch.
Best Buy has the Series 2 for $269, and they're bound to be even cheaper come Black Friday sales.

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m

Postby ldmelo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 pm

249usd for the Woo is a joke... I bought a top notch android watch (huawei watch 2) for less than that, 230usd. I can track my runs, bike rides, sync everything to strava, and I can install a bunch of apps from Google play store.

For kitesurfing I usually remove the armband, put the watch in a bag and keep it in my pocket to track GPS, distance, duration, etc. I did have a few sessions with it on my arm... no problems , but I stopped doing this, because it is not really waterproof (ip68 only) and people told me salt water would eventually damage the watch.

Reading this thread I started wondering if there is a way to use it to measure my jumps.. any apps for android wear??

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am

Xensr wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 pm
Best Buy has the Series 2 for $269, and they're bound to be even cheaper come Black Friday sales.
As this thread has become about Xensr as much as apple watch, I don't suppose you might be able to comment on the Xensr 2.0 Air manufacturing plan. Just asking as have been waiting for one for some time now?

Is this no longer part of the company strategy now that third parties can manufacture the hardware (Apple etc)?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Earlier comments seem quite clear that the Apple Watch does not have the quality of waterproofing that kitesurfing would require.

Return to “Kitesurfing”