Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Mounting a hydrofoil on your TT

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:47 am
I am interested in a high performance twin tip with the ability to convert to a foilboard.
Hi,
I have done it and the same experience like the others. You will recieve a too hard twitip and a difficult foilboard, with
- close to too or low volume
- for sure too soft and too low nose
- depending on skill to narrow
- will break without reinforcement in very short time

@sun
That NP does it doesn't mean anything to me try to find experienced users, which say it works good, don't think so.

Only way IMHO is to use a big stiffing reinforcement platte inbetween. In the best case plate and boardfixing points have been designed together as done with some directionals from Marc Shinn. Maybe find an aditional solution to pull up the nose with a string. Doing all this could bring you to a close to good compromise.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby reyrivera » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Bolted mine on an old twin tip last April, have been using it all season here in the San Francisco Bay Area with positive results. Not a high performance board, but it works:

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/foru ... =1&t=14495

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 am

I think the flex could really be a problem, I have a crazyfly raptor TT that's carbon and it's super flexy, seems like it might be a little wonky when riding

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 am

Ive tried and i hate a foil on a TT...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am
That challenge arises that you want stiffness at the for the foil connection but need flexibility at the tips for a high performance TT. You want a nice nose scoop for touch downs on a foil board but wont get that on a TT.

So... yourl end up with a compromise of foil board and Tt performance.

My conclusion is that you will be able to achieve medium performance TT and foil board. But not a high performance.
Also if you just bolt a foil onto a high performance TT without adding reinforcement the board will most likely fail in time. Normal TT's are not designed for the point loading a foil on plane has.
Couldn't you achieve that with an intermediary larger plate that follows the contours of the TT to mount onto the TT. Then mount the Foil plate onto that? If that is the case you should just end up with drill holes in the TT, which wouldn't be a huge impact. At the end of the day the solution would maybe not be that much cheaper than just getting a foilboard. haha.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am
That challenge arises that you want stiffness at the for the foil connection but need flexibility at the tips for a high performance TT. You want a nice nose scoop for touch downs on a foil board but wont get that on a TT.

So... yourl end up with a compromise of foil board and Tt performance.

My conclusion is that you will be able to achieve medium performance TT and foil board. But not a high performance.
Also if you just bolt a foil onto a high performance TT without adding reinforcement the board will most likely fail in time. Normal TT's are not designed for the point loading a foil on plane has.
Couldn't you achieve that with an intermediary larger plate that follows the contours of the TT to mount onto the TT. Then mount the Foil plate onto that? If that is the case you should just end up with drill holes in the TT, which wouldn't be a huge impact. At the end of the day the solution would maybe not be that much cheaper than just getting a foilboard. haha.

Yeah, I guess the plate idea would work. But then you have many more bolts to undo to swap between foil, not foil. Ultimately its a pain in the arse. you are better off with a dedicated hf board and TT. Then you can swap between them instantly on the day as conditions change.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:31 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah, I guess the plate idea would work. But then you have many more bolts to undo to swap between foil, not foil. Ultimately its a pain in the arse. you are better off with a dedicated hf board and TT. Then you can swap between them instantly on the day as conditions change.
Yeah I am not going to argue with that. I guess it would be okay for travel to be able to use one board, but apart from that I don't really see a huge benefit beyond the idea of having less gear. I gotta say the 130 hover is a beautiful piece of board. It kind of makes me want to try to ride it strapless with no foil on it. :-)

Return to “Hydrofoil”