Tuttle box broke

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tuttle box broke

Postby cglazier » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 pm

There are four box standards commonly used to connect the mast and board.
Tuttle box
Deep Tuttle box
KF box
Pro box

There is also a plate standard.

All these seem to hold up well after years of kiteboarding experience. I have seen masts break, wings break, and boards break but I have never seen a problem due to the design of any of these systems. (I have seen homemade boxes and plates fail but that was due to poor craftsmanship).

This thread should more accurately be called Board Broke because the problem was not with the Tuttle box system.

CG

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm

I have had no real issues with kf-box, deep-tuttle, or plate mounting. AlpineFoils kf-box implementation was fixed when they added the second bolt hole. All the deep turtles I have used have been very good. Plate/rails are simple and effective although I have in recent months seen Slingshot boards and masts lost when an impact has pulled the bolts out of the rails.

Foil impacts are very hard on box/mast interface. Board/box interface needs to be very strong. Impact damage may not me immediately apparent with hairline fractures leading to failures in the near term. Don't impact your foil on the bottom ever. Don't let your foil wash around in the surf.

- With many of the higher performance foils increasing the mast profile at the tuttle box to the length of the deep-tuttle box, I wonder if there needs to be a longer tuttle box?

- Custom board builders like MikesLab, Jellyfish Boards, and Camet Boards build tough boards with a considerable amount of additional carbon fiber layers around the box. No names, but many of the "name brand boards" are nothing more than a surfboard with boxes and rails added with no real consideration for loading. I say if you can't pick up the phone and talk to the board builder, you are throwing you money away.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm

I personally own a Taaroa Tuttle box foil and a Zeeko plate foil. They both are plenty strong for even big jumps but the tracks used in the board for the plate system would probably be the weakest part.. from an engineering point of view.

CG

Return to “Hydrofoil”