Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rebel 2018 vs. Core XR5

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 am

lindseym wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 am
pikovsg wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:46 pm
If you tried both kites, please tell us which you prefer and why. Go!
I rode both kites and (to me) they are the best of the best. I've spent the last few weeks testing various brands to see what will be my next quiver and rode both the XR5 (and 4) along with the Rebel 2018. The verdict = 2018 Rebel is better for me. Reasons:

1) I did a backroll blind on the XR and my complete blew the QR mid-rotation due to my wrist position. It was actually pretty funny and I wish it was on video :lol: . This is easily corrected by moving the hand a bit but i'm not a fan of the twist QR.

2) I want a bar with both a stopper and a microloop. The Core bar was really nice and very solid but not having those as options is a no go for me.

3) In pure boosting power the Core won. I think the biggest boost I have ever hit was on the XR. However, there was something very unique and special about the 2018 Rebel and while on it, I had much more confidence in trying tricks I normally would not try in lit up conditions. The Core has a bit more lift but I think the Rebel has a more solid feel, stability, and better hangtime. If I was into megaloop I would definitely go with Core but my 44 year old knees do not allow. Got to settle for board-offs :D

4) Overall I think the Rebel has a bit more range but I could be wrong. I was absolutely shocked by what I was able to do with a 12m in light wind. The XR didn't really seem to hold up as well in light wind conditions and here in Tampa we get a ton of light wind.

Cheers all,
Lm
Feedback! Yes! How much did you change bridle and wingtip setting on the XR?

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 am

PullStrings wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 am
I'm sure i could fold a XR5 12 sqm from wingtips to center faster neatly folded in 3 with my lines on....
...than you can folding from wingtip to dump valve a 12 sqm Rebel not neatly in 3 with your lines on

The race is on :lol:
I’m happy with inflate/deflate time on the XR5. It’s pretty far down on my list of priorities, but for what it’s worth, I’ve never had quicker setup time on the beach. Packing everything down is not a quick thing for me since I’m usually talking about the session with others on the beach for a few minutes before heading home.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 am

PullStrings wrote:
I'm sure i could fold a XR5 12 sqm from wingtips to center faster neatly folded in 3 with my lines on....
...than you can folding from wingtip to dump valve a 12 sqm Rebel not neatly in 3 with your lines on

I like what you did there Pullstrings.. Touche'! ...but I never leave my lines on (foils excluded)... So you are the instant winner... winner winner chicken dinner!

Also I am keen to find what settings people are running XR5 so the kite initiates a turn quicker.

I am very interested in more comparisons to the Rebel, as I decided to go with the XR5 instead the Rebel. What swayed my decision was the leaked Rebel images showed the Rebel being a higher aspect design, and I wanted a more mid aspect canopy.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am

Chicken-loop wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 am
PullStrings wrote:

I like what you did there Pullstrings.. Touche'! ...but I never leave my lines on (foils excluded)... So you are the instant winner... winner winner chicken dinner!

Also I am keen to find what settings people are running XR5 so the kite initiates a turn quicker.

I am very interested in more comparisons to the Rebel, as I decided to go with the XR5 instead the Rebel. What swayed my decision was the leaked Rebel images showed the Rebel being a higher aspect design, and I wanted a more mid aspect canopy.
On a 9m with settings max’d out it rips round a loop pretty sweet.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am
Chicken-loop wrote:
PullStrings wrote:

I'm tempted to change my user name to Chicken-soup :wink: to keep up with you two chickens

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am
Chicken-loop wrote:

I'm tempted to change my user name to Chicken-soup :wink: to keep up with you two chickens
Hehe. I’ll be out of the chicken coop once I get some impressions from you guys on the XR..

But join us! How about you be “PulledChicken”?

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:00 pm

For those about to or thinking about testing the XR5 THIS is what I’m most curious to hear about with respect to your experience. How much did you play with the configurations and what do you feel worked the best for you. Thanks!
Attachments
438C7D88-F78F-41EC-95B0-C5CF3D066A51.jpeg
2C28A1CC-E34E-4485-AA71-BAD9A0E2ACAF.jpeg

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Brand Affiliation: CORE
Hey, give it break, your relentless plugging on behalf of your 'sponsor' is becoming counter-productive, capiche?

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Brand Affiliation: CORE
Hey, give it break, your relentless plugging on behalf of your 'sponsor' is becoming counter-productive, capiche?

I love how triggered people get when you include attachments!

What (if anything) have you contributed to this thread?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm
What (if anything) have you contributed to this thread?
All things being taken into account probably as much as you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”