Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to lift our foils steadily?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ariel_cloud
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Qidong in China
Favorite Beaches: Pingtan in China, Tarifa in Spain, Kalpitiya in Srilanka.
Style: freeride, hydrofoil and racing.
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR18m, Speed21m, KFA MK3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to lift our foils steadily?

Postby ariel_cloud » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 am

Hey guys,
I practise foiling with my KFA MK3 for a while. I am able to get on board and freeride. I try hard to balance the board by shifting my weight to the front with my back foot strapless, but I can't lift my foil steadily.
Maybe I need to improve my speed a little bit, for I often reduce the speed to avoid crash when it picks up. So it touches water again.
Please advise.
Thank you.
Ariel

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: How to lift our foils steadily?

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am

Relax. Learn forward and backward more slowly. Relax. Don't fight the foil. Relax.
Did I say relax? relax!

Do what Yoda says. don't try just do!

Add a bit of speed and relax. Lean back a tad, add more speed, when you start rising out of the water lean a little forward. relax. if your getting too high lean more forward. relax!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 am

Yoga lunges.

Turn the audio off and of course, not this extreme but it's the right motion: keeping the upper body upright and lunging to shift weight
https://youtu.be/R47u4ZssPZc?t=0m55s

And as Uncle Plums said, you have to ride faster than you do on a TT so be prepared for that.

Once you have a bit of practice, you can basically just ollie it up or down to whoever you like . . .

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm a beginner so my advice is based on a very small amount of experience but this has helped me get through the painful wipe out phase.

More time taxiing on the surface helps me as an early learner. I find if I get up on foil too soon everything explodes. Therefore I make a conscious choice to go 25-50 meters with the board on the surface and get the board stable at foiling speed before foiling up. I don't know why but is especially true for me when going toward my stronger side.

Second is to control height with kite power rather than board movement. Once at speed pull in the bar to rise. Sheet out to allow yourself to sink. Shifting weight back and forth creates too big a change resulting in ventilation or violent touch down. This is especially true near the slow limit of foiling speed where the board begins to porpoise.

I'm getting to the point where I am starting to adjust pitch with back-front foot pressure. It is way more sensitive than a twin tip or surf board, especially near the slow limit of foiling speed.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm

As I learn, I find my ideas of what i’m doing and what i’m actually doing don’t always line up.

That said, it helps me to pay attention to keeping my knees mostly locked in one position and using my torso to lean forward/backward. Pay attention to the feel of the harness and it’s pull, as it affects your weight shift and you have to balance kite pull with forward, backward, and sideways weight shifts. Like mentioned above, sheeting the bar becomes a game of counter-balance.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:24 pm

When I was learning, the thing that clicked for me was unweighting my back foot instead of weighting my front foot, and vice versa. So if you feel the foil coming up, instead of driving your weight forwards to weight your front foot, focus on lifting your back foot up. I think what is actually happening is that this limits how fast you can change your balance point- using the normal method of leaning forwards and backwards to change balance point results in porpoising on a foil. It pretty quickly becomes second nature.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

I think you'd be better served with a more beginner friendly lower aspect foil with a lower take off and cruising (and crashing) speed. They also give a lot more warning before stalling, whereas faster high aspect foils will have more of a tendency to drop off suddenly.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm 50+ hours and a year into the journey.
Get more board speed.
Point your knees forward.
And All the vets here told me to keep practicing, it's true it takes more hours than other sports.

I'm getting my carves / gybes nailed now and it's hard to believe that it now is clicking and feeling the flow, after back in hour 25 thinking it's impossible.

Edit : I watched yoga video. I don't point toes of back foot backwards, but sideways. Seems to work for me, I'm bending knees to shift weight forward.
7F721A9B2C2C86633AE908C90E2185CF_001_000007.jpg

ariel_cloud
Rare Poster

Postby ariel_cloud » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:20 am

plummet wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am
Relax. Learn forward and backward more slowly. Relax. Don't fight the foil. Relax.
Did I say relax? relax!

Do what Yoda says. don't try just do!

Add a bit of speed and relax. Lean back a tad, add more speed, when you start rising out of the water lean a little forward. relax. if your getting too high lean more forward. relax!
Thanks Plum and all of you fellows,
I found some of your tips particularly helpful, let me sort it out and move on.
Cheers.
Ariel

ariel_cloud
Rare Poster

Postby ariel_cloud » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am

tmcfarla wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:24 pm
When I was learning, the thing that clicked for me was unweighting my back foot instead of weighting my front foot, and vice versa. So if you feel the foil coming up, instead of driving your weight forwards to weight your front foot, focus on lifting your back foot up. I think what is actually happening is that this limits how fast you can change your balance point- using the normal method of leaning forwards and backwards to change balance point results in porpoising on a foil. It pretty quickly becomes second nature.
Thanks your tips mate,
You did make a good point to make the weight shift more gentle.
Ariel

Return to “Hydrofoil”