Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Mittens vs. 3 Finger Gloves vs. 5 Finger Gloves

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Dirk wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 pm
Something a bit thinner and curved. Curved for me is really important (like ION clawfinger, Prolimit Curved Utiliy, NP Lobster Glove).
+1
I've found gloves that are 3mm or thicker cause my hands and forearms to fatigue quickly. 2mm gloves with a smooth skin and radically curved fingers are absolutely perfect imo. I can use them down to about 3*-4*. I also prefer the dexterity and full protection of a 5-finger glove
The best ones I've found and I'm currently using are from Ride Engine... http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/Wetsuits ... ves_2.html
Prolimit's Utility glove is a close second, but I don't like (nor need) a wrist strap. It's unnecessary and a hassle to put on/take off. However, the last gloves that had straps, I just cut them off. Problem solved!
Ion's Claw glove would probably be better suited for 0*-3* conditions since it's 3mm on the back of the hand, but still 2mm on the palm to reduce fatigue and maintain better feel.
If you want to go a bit thinner, Gul's Windward glove is similar in design with 1.5mm neoprene.
The main theme here is the radically curved fingers. I feel this is the most important feature for both comfort and performance in a 5-finger glove.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm
What would you say is the best option out there for 5 degrees, 5 degrees air?
My hands get very tired very quickly in for instance Rip Curls 7/5 mm mittens. That is what I need though as my fingers get very cold. Any gloves that keep warm but still are a compromise in regard to not getting too tired?
One thing people haven't talked about are dry gloves. Keeping your hand dry means you don't have to go to 5mm or 7mm mittens, you probalby get same performance as 3mm if you keep your hand dry. There are crazy people in canada who just use dish cleaning gloves...

I have heard really good feedback from my buddies on the 3mm dry gloves : https://www.xcelwetsuits.com/shop/produ ... finger-3mm

3 to 5 degree sunny or not is around the limit I switch from 5 finger to full mitten.
I would probably stay in 2mm or 3mm 5 finger precurve as long as I can handle it. Thinner glove you get more dexterity and blood flow but that's kind of personal choice you have to make.

I would make sure the fitting is great so you don't have to stretch neoprene too much..

Last season I had glacier glove, this season I am trying the 3/2 ion glove. I like that they are easy to put on and off compared to glacier. but I don't like the protection on the glove which are kind of slippery on my bar, i preferred the glacier glove. Well did only 1 session on the ion so we will see how it goes. initially i wanted to get those drylock Xcel but didn't have it in the shop I was and didn't want to get the size wrong from ordering online.

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!

Postby Ianw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm

I use https://www.prolimit.com/product/mittens-open-palm/ and have warm hands down to 5 deg C which is generally the lowest temp I kite in. The open palm is protected from windchill by wrapping your hands around the bar. When you tie/untie your kite from the bar I just slip my hand through the open palm. Also it's easy to slip the mittens back on again unlike gloves. I never get hand cramps due to the thin mitten material and thin kite bar.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Nice. Completely agree with you, JeromeL that glove choice is tougher and matters more than your feet. Can’t really use 6mm on your hands anyways. I use ION’s 3/2 claw gloves and don’t feel fatigue either (presumably the pre-curve does a lot here?) but could do with more protection from the wind. Mittens do sound like the consensus choice. Anyone try open palm mittens with heavy windchill protection? I know ION does a pair but I’ve not tried them. Wondering how good they would hold up in January when the air temperature really plummets..

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:29 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm
One thing people haven't talked about are dry gloves. Keeping your hand dry means you don't have to go to 5mm or 7mm mittens, you probalby get same performance as 3mm if you keep your hand dry. There are crazy people in canada who just use dish cleaning gloves...

I have heard really good feedback from my buddies on the 3mm dry gloves : https://www.xcelwetsuits.com/shop/produ ... finger-3mm
The "dry" glove is just marketing. Truly they do not keep your hands dry, however, they do a damn good job of resisting flushing verses a traditional glove design. They're also "dryer" because they have fully sealed fingers and have a gusset at the wrist to block water entry, so they're almost waterproof by design. Key word is "almost"!
The Ride Engine gloves use the same construction and I can attest that the majority of the time when removing the gloves, my hands are only damp from sweat. It's extremely rare for them to get flushed.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm
Nice. Completely agree with you, JeromeL that glove choice is tougher and matters more than your feet. Can’t really use 6mm on your hands anyways. I use ION’s 3/2 claw gloves and don’t feel fatigue either (presumably the pre-curve does a lot here?) but could do with more protection from the wind. Mittens do sound like the consensus choice. Anyone try open palm mittens with heavy windchill protection? I know ION does a pair but I’ve not tried them. Wondering how good they would hold up in January when the air temperature really plummets..
Just bought same glove you don't feel like the smooth skin on glove is slippery on the bar, maybe depends on bar? I have a best GP bar...
Da Yoda wrote: The "dry" glove is just marketing. Truly they do not keep your hands dry, however, they do a damn good job of resisting flushing verses a traditional glove design. They're also "dryer" because they have fully sealed fingers and have a gusset at the wrist to block water entry, so they're almost waterproof by design. Key word is "almost"!
The Ride Engine gloves use the same construction and I can attest that the majority of the time when removing the gloves, my hands are only damp from sweat. It's extremely rare for them to get flushed.
Funny you talk about flushing because on my glacier glove which have a strap I didn't experience must flushing and would stay dry longer but on my new ion glove I butt checked a kiteloop on saturday I almost lost the glove from flushing as I put a hand down while skipping on my butt.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
open palm mittens are more for kayakers, as they are hand on paddle all the time. Kiters tend to take their hands off the control bar a lot, for doing grabs, transitions, crashes, adjusting the trim. I know people who have used them, but they aren't as good for kiters as the dakine mitts.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

I have 5mm three finger mitts and they work great for me. I prefer having my index finger free for trimming and other adjustments. I usually wear mittens for snow kiting and found them to be really cumbersome. I never experienced any additional fatigue either from the thick neoprene.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:23 pm

For warmer temps...down to 40*F, anyone try the Xcel "Anti-Glove"? Basically just blocks the wind but that's often all you need to that temperature

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:41 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm
ChickenD!ken wrote:
Just bought same glove you don't feel like the smooth skin on glove is slippery on the bar, maybe depends on bar? I have a best GP bar...
My only experiences with Best has been used gear (redline bar) that got me going a few years ago. So can’t say I’m knowledgable on Best bars of today. I wasn’t kiting in winter months then either. Too expensive to cover that much time on the water. You really need at least 5/4 with all the add-ons between Oct/Nov to Apr/May here.

The grip on the ION claw gloves is fine for me except for the lack of windchill. I don’t suffer the forearm fatigue, thankfully, but my fingers get pretty stiff these days I have to say. Or maybe November is just a bitch this year, I don’t know. I use a Sensor 2S now which is very light, EVA grip and the least friction I’ve gotten from any bar I’ve used. Mittens feel like they will be annoying with the lack of fine motor function, but it sounds like I need to give it a try. You said you tried all options, do you think there’s a considerable gain from using mittens over 3-fingers?

Return to “Kitesurfing”