Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

cant reach full depower

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: cant reach full depower

Postby sarc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Make sure that your kite is tuned for hard bar setting = max depower range. It will depower more with less arm movement.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Duke15 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm
Awesome thanks for the info I’ll try to shorten the chicken loop...
There is another alternative if you don't unhook or don't plan to. This is not for everyone but is perfect to me!

Get rid of th hook, chicken loop and fowling donkey thing altogether. If you zoom the image you'll see a Cab Fireball QR (without the plastic fireball) directly connected to a stainless steel ring. That ring is connected to the spreader bar via a small piece of dyneema. Ignore all the red rope you see there as that was an experiment. My current spreader bar is the Dakine Option spreader bar with two options: 1. static & centered SS ring (exactly like the fireball but without the non-hook hook and plastic piece) or 2. sliding SS ring.

The bar is at max throw. If you imagine leaning back and riding, it is always reachable.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AndersP » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Are you really using the trimline the full range? Loose when you are underpowered and tight when you are overpowered. The trimline is in fact nothing than a bar height adjuster. If pulling the trimline doesnt help, you need longer backlines or shorter frontlines. Try that before altering or buying new equipment. I prefer to use a racebar (ozone). It has a long 4/1 trimline pulley. Then you don't have to bother changing knot position according to windstrength. And it is also nice and easy to trim it. The cab recoil bar I don't like at all. It has really short throw unless you actively push it, which feels very weird..

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm

randycasburn, show us a better photo of how you are attaching the SS ring to the spreader bar. I'm guessing from the photos I've seen the small metal loop on the Option spreader bar is too small to connect the QR directly?
Also, I think it's very likely that the QR can be too close to the spreader bar resulting in being over-sheeted when your arms are comfortably extended. From what I've seen many of the BRM guys use their bar on one of the last two knots (farthest out) for this very reason.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Also to the OP, when you say you're have trouble reaching full depower do you mean you can't sheet-out enough without hunching forward or do you mean not being able to reach the trim strap/rope?

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Alford, I think You mean under-sheeted?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:17 pm

oh yeah, good advice, remember first things first tune the bar! It's possible your problem is just that the control bar is not properly tuned.

Duke15
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Simcoe
Gear: 2012 North Rebel 7M
2012 Cabrinha Vector 12M
2015 Cabrinha Switchblade 14M
Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby Duke15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:09 pm

AndersP wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 pm
Are you really using the trimline the full range? Loose when you are underpowered and tight when you are overpowered. The trimline is in fact nothing than a bar height adjuster. If pulling the trimline doesnt help, you need longer backlines or shorter frontlines. Try that before altering or buying new equipment. I prefer to use a racebar (ozone). It has a long 4/1 trimline pulley. Then you don't have to bother changing knot position according to windstrength. And it is also nice and easy to trim it. The cab recoil bar I don't like at all. It has really short throw unless you actively push it, which feels very weird..
I think this is mostlikely the issue as it was a used bar. Im going to try and tune it and see if that helps, I read that the overdrive was great for short arms but i agree the pusing does seem odd.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Can you add a sugar cube stopper?
T-rex syndrome is real peeps. ;-)

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm
randycasburn, show us a better photo of how you are attaching the SS ring to the spreader bar. I'm guessing from the photos I've seen the small metal loop on the Option spreader bar is too small to connect the QR directly?
Also, I think it's very likely that the QR can be too close to the spreader bar resulting in being over-sheeted when your arms are comfortably extended. From what I've seen many of the BRM guys use their bar on one of the last two knots (farthest out) for this very reason.
Good observations. I use a loop of Dyneema through the small metal loop. This gives me the flexibility to change the connection point distance from the spreader bar by simply lengthening the loop just like the BRM system's knots. My set up is probably like the second knot on the BRM.

I have short, stubby arms so being this short is comfortable to me. I don't think I'm "under"-sheeting. I haven't experimented with the loop length, but perhaps I should. Here's the pic (note the slider config too):
Last edited by randycasburn on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”