All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cocoa Beach, Florida
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:08 am 
Medium Poster

We're going down to Cocoa Beach for March break. Anybody got any info on the local kite riding spots? How about the Holiday Inn on the ocean there??
your help is much appreciated,
thanks,
Daniel
http://www.kiterider.ca

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Cocoa Beach, Florida
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

KiteRider Canada wrote:
We're going down to Cocoa Beach for March break. Anybody got any info on the local kite riding spots? How about the Holiday Inn on the ocean there??
your help is much appreciated,
thanks,
Daniel
http://www.kiterider.ca

Some info about Cocoa appears at:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2299441

It would be good to pick a launching area without much crowding. As I recall, the ocean conditions are relatively uniform along much of Cocoa.

Have a good trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:21 am 
Medium Poster

You can ride just about anywhere in Cocoa Beach, but definately stay away from the crowds. It's not worth the hassle. Holiday Inn during March will definatel be crowded. If you go north 5 minutes to Cape Canaveral you will see more kiters and less sun bathers. Cheri Down park is one of the more frequented places for kiters. Any wind out of the east is good on the ocean side.

If you are staying at the Holiday Inn and you happen to get northern winds get on 520 and head west 2 or 3 minutes (right across from hospital). It's also 5 minutes from the Holiday Inn :)
Ride on the south side of 520 - soooo fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

First, a question - Why stay in Cocoa for spring break when Daytona Beach is only 45min to the north? :thumb:

However, for kiteboarding, Cocoa is pretty sweet - And the wind blows here in March!

The Holiday Inn will probably have some people in front of it, but a 100yd walk in either direction will allow you to find a nice launch. The beach is pretty wide when you're that far north, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Wherever you go, stick $2.00 in your pocket. I swear, the ONLY people who ride the local mass transit busses are kiteboarders (Just roll your gear and try to get most of the sand off). The SCAT :o (Really! Space Coast Area Transit) bus will haul your butt back to where you launched. I think there is a stop right in front of the Holiday Inn - Check http://www.ridescat.com/.

Ox is right about the 520 slick. It is absolutely rock'n on a north wind - Sometimes it may get a little crowded (3-8 kiters... Crowded for around here). The legendary 'Only Girl Around Here that Kiteboards' has been sighted at this spot. It is a bit of a biznatch to launch from, but there is usually someone happy to lend a hand.
Just heas west from A1A on 520 for about a mile. You'll see a huge hospital on your right (Handy!) and a boat ramp with a flagpole on your left. There you are.

There always seems to be a slew of hottie women hanging around the beaches. Great for post kiteboarding activities!

HINT: The ones with less tan usually have less self-esteem. :thumb:

Seriously, though - Also check out Daytona Beach if you can. The beach is BEAUTIFUL and WIDE. Lots of great nightlife too.

Enjoy!

Sid sends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:00 am 
Frequent Poster

sid famous,

I almost forgot about spring break! I'm feeling old now...

When is the main week for it again? If I recall it is the last week in March. I may have to take a trip that way and catch up wit ya, rip some waves and pimp some hotties.

Its been four or five years since I did a spring break over there. How close do you live to Daytona?

Post subject: Re: Cocoa Beach, Florida
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:06 am 
Frequent Poster

KiteRider Canada wrote:
We're going down to Cocoa Beach

Say Hullo to Jeannie & Major Nelson for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

DanK wrote:
sid famous,

I almost forgot about spring break! I'm feeling old now...

When is the main week for it again? If I recall it is the last week in March. I may have to take a trip that way and catch up wit ya, rip some waves and pimp some hotties.

Its been four or five years since I did a spring break over there. How close do you live to Daytona?

Daytona's festival guide (http://daytonabeach.com/FestivalsEventsGuide.asp) sez 07 Mar - 28 Mar. But the bulk of the Spring Break activities (drunkenly falling off of hotel balconies) usually occur on the week RIGHT AFTER Bike Week 27Feb - 07 Mar.

Daytona has nice, rampy waves with that wide, sugary beach. And the Ocean Deck has stupendous beer & wings for the mid-session munchies. Best of all, I have seen ONE other kiteboarder in all my trips to Daytona (~45 minutes away) and the surfers don't seem to like it there. More room to play. :D

The hotties seem pretty sweet on the kiters. Surfing the massive 2ft. wave faces just doesn't seem to thrill the ladies as much as a kiter busting some phat air.

:!: :!: :!: KITERIDER - BTW!!!! If you visit Cocoa, you have to take a quick trip south to Da Kine Diegos. It is a surfer burrito place founded by the Hanna Crew brothers. Their Insano Burrito is truly a masterpiece!!!

If the wind doesn't blow, OWC (http://www.orlandowatersports.com/) is a great place to put your kiteboard through its paces. Though the hottie factor takes a real hit (unless you like the trailer-park queens).

Have a good one!

Sid sends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

A bunch of the locals also ride at 5th Street South. It's an open beach with no people. We usually meet up there and do the down winder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:27 am 
Medium Poster

I am also going down at the end of March and I am wondering what the kitting is like? On the beach side is the surf difficult to get through? What are the launches like?

I might be coming with a friend who is a beginner and I am wondering if the conditions would be appropiate for him, which areas would you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:37 am 
Rare Poster

Watch the forcast guys, if the winds come out of the west, far better kitesurfing conditions on the west coast. Head over to FT. DeSoto park inSt Petersburg. Beautiful beach with blue water and small waves. On the other side of the park, flat water riding on the bay side. dont miss it....... :thumb:

PS even if its out of the east, it rocks over here.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next