All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: cut or die
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:19 pm 
Medium Poster

dramatic heading, but this might come as a shock to most kiters, i am recovering from a bad kite crash,broken tib and fib,thats not the shock, but this is-when this happened my kiteing buddy was on hand to help and he needed to cut my lines to stop me from being lifted over the houses, he grabbed my new knife from the rear of my new harness, you know the sort of knife i mean, small stanley blade in a plastic u shaped handle with a loop of webbing , he tried to cut my lines, result,- panic when he found out the knife would not cut the line, the public were shouting at him to hurry up as they had decided to grab my lines, during shouts of leave the lines alone, he managed to saw away at the lines and eventually he got through, but only because he was able to wrap some of the line around the knob of the sea wall railings, later he said if the lines were not as tight as they were ,he would not have been able to cut them, makes you think if you get caught at sea with your lines wraped around your legs, there wont be as much tension on the lines, :-? :o :o

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: cut or die
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kiteingcolin wrote:
dramatic heading, but this might come as a shock to most kiters, i am recovering from a bad kite crash,broken tib and fib,thats not the shock, but this is-when this happened my kiteing buddy was on hand to help and he needed to cut my lines to stop me from being lifted over the houses, he grabbed my new knife from the rear of my new harness, you know the sort of knife i mean, small stanley blade in a plastic u shaped handle with a loop of webbing , he tried to cut my lines, result,- panic when he found out the knife would not cut the line, the public were shouting at him to hurry up as they had decided to grab my lines, during shouts of leave the lines alone, he managed to saw away at the lines and eventually he got through, but only because he was able to wrap some of the line around the knob of the sea wall railings, later he said if the lines were not as tight as they were ,he would not have been able to cut them, makes you think if you get caught at sea with your lines wraped around your legs, there wont be as much tension on the lines, :-? :o :o

I have had similar problems with untensioned Q Line but never with the normal Dyneema or Spectra line that is supplied by most manufacturers with bars. The Dyneema/Spectra line usually cuts fairly easily even with a fairly old but not totally dull hook knife. What sort of line were you using and your hook knife was fairly new? I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope that you are recovering well. Congratulations on your friend's successful attempt to cut the lines and before bystanders managed to get line cuts in the process by helping.

It would be good to learn more about the particulars of your accident for a KSI account if that is OK with you. I will send you a PM in this regard in a minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:14 pm 
Medium Poster

this was Q line,need to test the standard line,the yahoo link wil not open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kiteingcolin wrote:
this was Q line,need to test the standard line,the yahoo link wil not open?

Q Line can be hard to cut with a hook knife EVEN if it is tensioned somewhat AND with a brand new hook knife. I bought a small serrated diving knife to put on my harness because I use bars set up with Q Line and the easier to cut Dyneema/Spectra. I would think a sharp serrated blade might be one of the few reliable ways of cutting tough Q Line in an emergency aside from carrying an unsafe, very sharp and long conventional knife. Unfortuantely, where Q Line is concerned hook knives are not that reliable a means of cutting it. If Q Line is quite taught with tension it will part fairly readily with a hook knife but not really otherwise.

To access the KSI you need to register with yahoogroups.com (it's free) first. Also, the entire address needs to be in blue, I just reduced it to the following link to avoid this problem: http://tinyurl.com/kicy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hope you recover fast and good Colin,

I'm looking for one of this hook-knifes. Has anyone suggestions. Have no Q-lines. I want a fairly cheap one, because I think it cannot be really expensive to build such a knife with a stainless steel blade. Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Try inserting " hook knife kitesurf price" into google.com and find a retailer near you to buy a hook knife from. It should cost around $20. USD, possibly less. Make sure wherever you mount the knife that you can find it easily. Cave divers use only one line at a time and some of them carry up to five knives to improve the odds of being able to find, release and hold one long enough to cut free. We of course have about 400 ft. or 120 m flapping around overhead like a monster medusa, so why would a kitesurfer need even one knife???

Some guys have said that in many accidents you simply don't have enough time to cut anything. Still in others there is enough time. I have always felt that it is good to have the option regardless of what might come along.

For guys that use Q Line you should consider beefing up your cutting tool from a simple Hook Knife. There are lots of marine service serrated blades on the market that have about a 3" blade and plastic sheath with holding mechanism that may be worth a look. I have replaced worn out factor supplied line with Q Line for several years. Still, it is resistent to easy, fast cutting with most hook knives that I have tried to date. It would be good to consider carrying something a bit more effective, if you see the need to be able to cut all that line in an emergency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If the knife does not have opposing razor blades it will not work.
look at http://hookknife.com/hookknives.htm for a good knife at a good price. CAPTAIN HOOK KNIFE. This type will cut Q power easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Trigger Knife
Nice dive knife. Small hook blade on one side and serated on the other. Sheath fastens to any strap. Spring "trigger" pops the knife out. I added a lanyard to retreve if needed. The stainless is pretty good after 2 months (rinced w/fresh water after every session)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:04 am 
Medium Poster

that looks the business,must find one,quick! well not that quick, i cant get on the water fo a few months :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

windshreder wrote:
If the knife does not have opposing razor blades it will not work.
look at http://hookknife.com/hookknives.htm for a good knife at a good price. CAPTAIN HOOK KNIFE. This type will cut Q power easily.

I have one of these and it won't cut if it isn't under tension...and if you have to cut trough several lines (lines around your leg..) the line gets caught between the two blades and it will cut even worse...

I still think the only way to go is to get a reliable divers knife in a safe sheeth...attach it to your leg or you arm... still searching for a suitable one myself BTW

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next