All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gaastra Stealth: just fun!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42
After some 20 hrs flight time in 10-27 knots with my Stealth 18/14/10 quiver, mostly riding my 140x35.5, I (76 kg) gained the following impressions:

- Amazing upwind capability, thus easy to build up speed for high jumps.

- Excellent lift & hangtime: I did not feel being in disadvantage compared to other kiters at the beach flying high performers as R4, Vegas, Fuel, Nitro. However, for those who are used to the GXR's sudden lift, the Stealth's lift appears softer to me, but then you quickly learn that this "softness" does not affect jump height or airtime. You will feel and appreciate this "softness" in fast turns or loops as well.

- Low steering forces, but not overreactive. Stealth 18 feels like a 16, Stealth 14 feels like a 12. Stealth 10 of course really can get fast in fast winds, you have to keep it in your eyes from time to time, but if you do that it's so relaxing to fly it in high winds.

- Wide range of use: In about 10 knots, riding my 140x35.5, flying Stealth 18, I already could go upwind a little - what should I want more? I flew Stealth 10 up to 27 knots with the adjuster half way down, haven't reached upper limit yet.

- Solid looking construction, rotation bar (which, however, I use with my Wichard as that's the QR I trust most), a line connectors set up which avoids mix up of front and back lines, etc. The only thing I miss are three more one-way valves for the inner struts instead of the normal ones.

Disclosure: Unfortunately, I am not sponsored by Gaastra or any other brand, and I have to pay myself for my kite stuff.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have the same experiences. Kites are pretty fast so you can ride them really soon. Low power when making kiteloops. Great fun. When riding well-powered these baby's rock, skyhigh and great hangtime (with right steering that is). Was suprised quite some times when making transition jumps. When making rotating jumps you have to stop moving earlier because you're higher than you thought. Great depower, last bit over the edge of your board, but still great range!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The 'softness' that Wolfgang describes comes from the split strut technology. With the struts being part of the canopy instead of hanging underneath it. As a slingy rider it's been very difficult to describe how thw struts feel but now you Gaastra dudes are on split struts too - you can feel for yourselves :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:48 am 
Rare Poster

i'm glad you guys are enjoying your stealths. I've now been waiting for my stealth to replace crap gxr for nearly 5 months. Personally I think this is ridiculous as they have obviously released them for sale. For the last 5 months I've been told nothing but lies about when i'm getting my kite, I was told i had to send the gxr back to Longreef so they could replace it, another load of bullshit from Longreef and Gaastra, that was a month ago. I live in Port Douglas, we're in the peak of our season and I don't have a Kite thanks to Gaastra and Longreef. The rest of the country is in winter so why can't you send one up here? Although there's probably no point as Gaastra's name is shit up here, and i highly doubt it if you even sell a Gaastra T-shirt up here.

If you think I'm being a bit harsh, i disagree, The 4 months I had the GXR i constantly stood up for Gaastra telling the guys on the beach, watching my GXR wobble like a bowl of jelly, that Gaastra are replacing it very soon. What a Dick i was.

Up Yours Gaastra

ps you owe me 4 months of 20 knots

pps I rather own 1 BEST than a whole quiver of Gaastras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:00 am 
Rare Poster

josha wrote:
i'm glad you guys are enjoying your stealths. I've now been waiting for my stealth to replace crap gxr for nearly 5 months. Personally I think this is ridiculous as they have obviously released them for sale. For the last 5 months I've been told nothing but lies about when i'm getting my kite, I was told i had to send the gxr back to Longreef so they could replace it, another load of bullshit from Longreef and Gaastra, that was a month ago. I live in Port Douglas, we're in the peak of our season and I don't have a Kite thanks to Gaastra and Longreef. The rest of the country is in winter so why can't you send one up here? Although there's probably no point as Gaastra's name is shit up here, and i highly doubt it if you even sell a Gaastra T-shirt up here.

If you think I'm being a bit harsh, i disagree, The 4 months I had the GXR i constantly stood up for Gaastra telling the guys on the beach, watching my GXR wobble like a bowl of jelly, that Gaastra are replacing it very soon. What a Dick i was.

Up Yours Gaastra

Is it that bad? i.e you haven't exagerated timelines at all? if it is start yelling real loude that you want your cash back...

I ride semi-regulary with 3 of the longreef/gaastra sponsored team riders, they still ride there 2002/2003 GXR's, because as you said the new ones are crap to the point of being unrideable... They have had some stealths but they say they have found these to suffer the same problems as the newer gxr's (tho they may have been pre released stealths... maybe its been fixed), but don't even count on getting a stealth to fix your problems with these kites...

Longreef and their associated brands have a pretty bad rep in there own neighbourhood due to repeated issues like this and more... they don't sell many kites locally I don't believe... about the only people here on gaastra's have a deal with the shop...

Get your $$ back and like you say, go buy some BESTS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 am 
Rare Poster

nemi99 wrote:
josha wrote:

Up Yours Gaastra

Is it that bad? i.e you haven't exagerated timelines at all? if it is start yelling real loude that you want your cash back...

I ride semi-regulary with 3 of the longreef/gaastra sponsored team riders, they still ride there 2002/2003 GXR's, because as you said the new ones are crap to the point of being unrideable... They have had some stealths but they say they have found these to suffer the same problems as the newer gxr's (tho they may have been pre released stealths... maybe its been fixed), but don't even count on getting a stealth to fix your problems with these kites...

Longreef and their associated brands have a pretty bad rep in there own neighbourhood due to repeated issues like this and more... they don't sell many kites locally I don't believe... about the only people here on gaastra's have a deal with the shop...

Get your $$ back and like you say, go buy some BESTS!!

listen to this guy josha get your money back and get some best kites from that kitepower mob there serice is awesome and best kites rock
don't let those crazy winssurfer kooks at longreef gip ya anymore they are the biggest rip offs in the business none of them kite they are in it jusr for the money
they have some shit gaastra force kites that have nylon sales don't let them talk you into that shit either!
good luck threten them with consumer affairs if they dont give ya your money back go to small claims

kiteman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42
I rerently explored the upper limit of my Stealth 10. I was out on a F-One 128x35 (significant scoop and flex) in rough winds with "lulls" of 22 knots up to periods of 30+ knot gusts, peaks were 34 knots. For my weight of 76 kg I clearly met my limit with the kite but I was still in quite good control. Jumping was somewhat scary - just a slight backwards movement with the kite and you ended up high high high...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

I agree with the previous post. 03 GXR had some issues but overall it was a really good kite, especially 12 and up. Stealth is a step backwards. The kite surges, flexes and flies un-predictably. Max de-power and kite is un-responsive and these issues become worse. It is not on par with newer 04 Airrush, North or Naish in terms of stability, range etc. I hope Gaastra gets their act together because they have some great kites(Phoenix) and should be developing better product that lives up to their name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Stefan wrote:
...Stealth is a step backwards. The kite surges, flexes and flies un-predictably. Max de-power and kite is un-responsive and these issues become worse...

Hi Stefan, that sounds strange to me... I did not get that impression after more than 25 hrs flying Stealth 18, 14 and 10...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wolfgang, it is strange to me too because I was expecting something different. I can believe bigger sizes are much better(same was true of 03 GXR-14 being my favorite) and I might be overstating my disappointment. I will continue flying them and see if I can get dialed to the kite. Glad to here your enjoying yours. :thumb:

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next