All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: see helmet woes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:49 am 
Rare Poster

see helmet woes

Last edited by mocean on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Shit man, Sorry to hear that.

When you say you launched and the kite "backwinded" what exactly happened ? Why did it pull you into the rocks ?

Hope you have a speedy recovery and thanks for posting.

Helmet message received and understood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thx for sharing, sorry for you too.
You are "lucky" you survived.
Hope you recover fast so you can get a helmet ( .. ;-) ) and come back to and on the water.

Arjan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:56 am 
Very Frequent Poster

sorry to hear.
But at least you are alive and be able to get back on the board, as others don't have/had the luck.

I assume you launched the kite, and it was a lull of wind, which took the kite further back in the window, then the wind came again and it was in front of you in the powerzone, pulling hard.
We all know situations like this.

Here some ideas to avoid it:

- wind direction? never on onshore winds!
- launch the kite with one hand on the QR trigger. Something not normal, pull it!
- avoid strong, gusty conditions
- never launch with obstacles "close" to you
- distance is your friend!
- launch being in the water, that may give you the important buffer

Good luck with your eye!

Greets
Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am sorry to hear about your accident. Congratulations on working out things to do and stay active as you recover. It is amazing what time and determination can accomplish in coming back from an injury. Good luck and heal fast.

Thanks for sharing your story and trying to save others from some of what you are going through by recommending helmet use.

I had some questions about the accident. I don't know if you are up to answering them or if so here or via PM. I sent you a PM by the way.

Take care and thanks for passing along your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Wow, something like this happened to my friend a while back, that's why I pushed the wearing a helmet message on my site.

I was taught not to hook in on launch... that was like the number one rule, how come so many people do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:41 pm 
Frequent Poster

Sorry to read this. Hang in there and I wish you a fast recovery.
I'm 41 years old and three month ago I almost broke a rib. It took me three months to recovery. Since then I use a helmet and an impact vest. All of the young kiters call me robocop. I don't mind, I take it very cool. It is my live and deal with personally. From the beach anyone can spot me in a flash because the helmet is yellow and I know that in an emergency this will help me. Dealing with your safety is a matter of responsability and anyone joking about you because of a helmet is an inmature person. In all of the xtreme sports proffesional competion is mandatory to use a helmet and this rule is there for something. Besides when I'm riding I don't even feel the helmet nor the vest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah, wind shift right at takeoff is going to be problematic, especially if you're trying to launch close to the edge and the edge suddenly moves... Was it generally shifty that day? Helmets are good, but they can't replace a long hard look at the wind conditions - the best piece of safety equipment is inside your skull (for most of us, anyway)...

When in doubt, I would be sure to have the kite properly tuned and depowered, then launch closer to the power zone so that the kite has a little forward momentum to start with (and to compensate for any minor shifts in wind direction). Launching oversheeted too close to the edge is what can create the drift/surge scenario - the extra back-line tension makes the kite more prone to stalling, farther away from the edge, and it generates extra power in the middle of the window (where you need it least)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:38 pm 
Frequent Poster

HOPE YOU GET WELL SOON, AND KEEP UP THE GOOD ATTITUDE. THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN THAT, TO GET UP AFTER FALLING. :D
THERE HAS TO BE A WAY TO GET RID OF THAT IDEA OF THE UNCOOL THOUGHT OF BEING RESPONSIBLE AND USING PROTECTIVE DEVICES. PERHAPS ALL THE VIDEOS, AND THE PROS, SHOULD ALWAYS APPEAR USING HELMETS AND PROMOTING ITS IMPORTANCE. THEY ARE TOO VERY RESPONSABLE :!: , THEY ARE IN A WAY THE SPORTS IMAGE.
GET WELL SOON.

ADIOS.
:bye:
HMORFIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
I was taught not to hook in on launch... that was like the number one rule, how come so many people do it?

It seems like some guys prefer to have the kite moderately well-powered with the bar all/most of the way out, for a few reasons:
1. You don't have to work the kite as much to get going
2. You don't need as much speed to get airborne
3. When you do go for air, you can pull the bar in for extra boost
Unfortunately, if the kite is already well-powered with the bar all the way out, you can't possibly launch unhooked, even if your centerline strap is adjusted all the way. The kite would be oversheeted, giving you the drift/surge scenario previously described...

Also, some guys prefer to launch hooked in so that they have extra depower available when they are pushing the upper limit of the kite and have already done as much as they can with the centerline strap, or so that they can launch a slightly larger kite.

And then there's front-line stretch - if you don't check your lines and adjust for this, eventually the only way you can launch is hooked-in, to compensate for shorter back lines.

Last but not least, some bar systems are "leashless" - i.e.: the chickenloop is your leash (Cabrinha RECON is one of these). Launching unhooked with one of these systems means you have no leash, therefore you have to launch hooked in and pray to god that the safety can be activated fast enough and will release properly. If it's a good safety system and you launch with one hand on the trigger, this can work, but you're putting your life in the hands of a designer you've never met and a below-minimum-wage foreign manufacturing worker (or an overpaid domestic union member) - best to test this in lighter conditions first...

I prefer to tune my kites so that they can be launched unhooked - usually the manufacturer's specs are spot-on. Generally speaking, the kites will fly closer to the edge of the wind window, have less power at the edge, are somewhat more tolerant of gusts, and allow me to ride faster, and farther upwind. And I have been able to go out overpowered even though I launch unhooked - you'll get a slow drag until the kite is at about 45 degrees, then it's fine. Once the kite is in the air long enough to rule out any major problems, you can hook in and depower to a more comfortable level until you're out on the water. For jumping, I just work the kite some and build up a little extra speed - enough so that I have to push the bar all the way out to avoid getting pulled off my edge - then crank the kite hard and pull in (and hang on!!!).

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next