All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: why are the keys windy?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:16 pm 
Medium Poster

Been looking at the wind for Fl. the last month. All of Fl. goes through the same system right now. We all wait for cold fronts. It seems like the further south you go the longer the wind hangs around. Up in N. Fl. we get 2 1/2 days of wind (SW, NW to NE) It seems like S. Fl gets a good 3 - 3 1/2 days of wind from a cold front. :wink:

What the heck are half days you ask? The last bit of wind, usually the last day before 11am. After that it starts to die off because of the warming air.

Any who. Why are keys still windy after the front passes. Are they far enough south to get a bit of trades that P. Rico etc get during the winter

Like today - ON ikitesurf - it doesn't look like a whole lot is going on in Fl, except of course the keys. What's up with that? :(

Here's another one :roll:

Why is Corpus and S. Padre windy most of the year - especially summer?
The keys are further south than both. Summer time in the keys suck, but it rocks in cc and sp texas. I'm guessing the wind is getting sucked in by the hot ass desert land of texas. What say you. :roll:

:D :) :( :o :-? :lol: :x
8) :lol: :x :evil: :!: :girl: :bye: :thumb: :wink: :roll: :idea: :?: :?:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm not so sure that I care why, just keep 'em windy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i think places that are warm during the summer are probably(and obviously?) due to simply thermals.

Over here in norcal most because of the contours of the valleys and cold water ocean currents our thermic winds can be quite strong(4-6.0 meter weather in some secret locations), this is probably due to very cool dense fog forming over the ocean, and hot air easily rising as we seem to have very dry not so dense air, so the gradients are easily achieved. maybe the same goes in S padra as texas is pretty broad and flat and seems to be geologically similar to california.

maybe it can also be attributable to location in a particular hadley cell(lattitude).

i think i just made no contribution and just added more doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:00 am 
Medium Poster

YEs with the n. cal hypothesis. But during the summer in s. padre the water is blazing hot along with the air. Thermals would be the way to go I think, but at the same time the air land and water are all so hot already. To me there doesn't seem to be enough big difference in them to create hot air and cooler air exchanges (sea breezes). I have no idea, but that's why i'm not a meterologist. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:07 am 
Rare Poster

hahahaha secret i wish, wayyy to many kooks to be secret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yea, me inclusive.

i think S padre windyness has something to od with its location lattitude wise, its probably in the sweet spot of a hadley cell.

hey man family guy is coming back, i definitely cant wait.

Do you watch American dad? I saw an episode the other day and i didnt find it as good as family guy, but maybe its just initial season jitters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

look at pressure gradiants and it will all make sense to you. South texas march on sets up thermals with low pressure over texas and high over the gulf. You'll see the same thing in CA, OR in the summer - a big high over
the water and low pressure in land.

this setup doesn't happen in florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:06 pm 
Frequent Poster

we always get a high after the fronts and get the squueze from the main land, also where we go is 4 miles off shore so we get a warm shallow water, will cool air over top, result wind, we have had a great season since october. Look at weatherunderground.com and check out the marine forcast and look at sand key

Post subject: Paul-
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

So when does the wind croak usually- April or May?

And btw its spelled correctly; "Cays".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:24 pm 
Rare Poster

The Keys rocks, It’s one of the best place’s that I have ever ridden. If you want to see what I’m raving about, here are some shots from land and some really amazing aerial shots. Go check out this link http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=507 and you will see why.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next