Rider: experienced (power moves freaky), 93 kg. Riding a Jaime L 2005 since October 2004.
Review based on a one-day riding (7 hours in the water, though)
Wind: Side-Onshore. 15 to 25 knots, 1-2 meter waves
Kite: Vegas 12.
The board: 130 x 39, new graphics, red TFC 5 cm. fins. The board is somewhat thicker and maybe a little bit flatter than the 05' model.
First of all: Installing pads and footstraps is a pain. Quite frustrating!!!!. Take your time and be calm, it requires effort to get it done. Tell your shopper to get it done for you, if you can
I did spend the first 30 minutes riding relaxed and getting used to my new toy. Then, I began to ride it more aggressively and swapping it several times with the 05 model.
- 06' faster than 05'. The board accelerates faster and maximum speed is greater.
- planing in light wind? I do not know. Not a good day to test it.
- riding in higher wind (+20 knots): incredible performances while you keep focused. Do not relax too much or you may get punished.
- comfort? 06 has a more direct response, it is more nervous and it is a less relaxed ride but, again, keeping great control.
- jumping: great pop, even better than 05 model. It hods the rail and then it pops nicely. Landings are butter. The boards redirects itself in the right direction. Powerful landings are quite soft.
-Upwind: the board flies upwind and the 5 cm. fins seem more than enough to me. I did not miss deeper fins.
Overall, and always taking into account it was my first ride and that my weight is 93 kg (200 lb.?): it is easy to notice from the first ride that the board has noticeably improved it's performances over last year's model. Lighter riders (jaime 05' owners, like me) did say that they found the board faster but stiffer, letting less room for a relaxed ride. We all agreed that this new board is more performance oriented.
Installing footstraps is a pain, though
. Lots of effort requierd. Any one has a secret method to have it easily done?