All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Crossbow from a beginner's perspective
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:38 pm 
Medium Poster

I had a week of lessons in Aruba last month (with Mike and Mo at Vela/Dare2Fly, who were awesome) and just spent a weekend in Corpus Christi with a new 12m Crossbow. The difference between 6/8/10m Cabrinha kites I was using (CO2s and Elements I think) and the xbow was like night and day.

The Crossbow had more power, of course, but it was also more controllable.

The depower capability, safety aside, also makes it much more comfortable when in neutral - I wasn't getting pulled up and down as much, I could just sheet out in the gusts. Also, with the old kites, the spreader bar on the Cabrinha impact vest I was wearing would ride up unless I tightened the harness up to the point of being uncomfortable; with the xbow that wasn't a problem.

One of the biggest differences was in relaunch. With the older kites, I spent a lot of my time trying to relaunch. Since I was just starting out, that was pretty frequently, since I crashed the kite a lot. With the xbow, relaunch is so trivial. I think I would have gotten three or four times the actual practice time I got on the water in Aruba if I'd had a bow kite. (I don't think it was just the stupid pins on the Cabrinha that made relaunch difficult in Aruba; we also had a 9m Naish Boxer this weekend and the fifth line system seemed just as hard to relaunch, and this was in shallow water where we could walk around, not like Aruba where we were floating in deep water all the time.)

The only problem I had with the Crossbow was pumping it up - the first day I did it OK, but the second day I didn't inflate the leading edge enough. As a beginner, I would have liked to have a built-in pressure gauge on the pump. In addition, I'm not sure I've figured out the trick on the strut valves to make the little ball stop the air coming out when I'm done inflating and remove the pump tip. Too bad there aren't airlocks on all the struts. Also, I'd read reviews that there was an inflation valve on the leading edge facing up so you could pump up the kite when it was in the leading edge down position. That would have been nice to have, although I guess I probably won't be underinflating it again.

As far as bar pressure goes, I'm a windsurfer, so I think all the complaints about bar pressure are pretty funny, it's nothing compared to sheeting in a sail in high wind, or even sailing in light wind without a harness like beginners do. I love the fact that sheeting in and out actually affects power, it didn't seem to make much of a difference with the old kites I was using.

I think that if schools start using bow kites they'll have a lot more happy students. Women and light riders especially I think will be much happier since they won't be getting tossed around in gusts nearly as much. And all the beginners will be able to spend more time flying the kite and getting on the board rather than trying to relaunch.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

A little trick for inflating struts with ball valves; inflate strut to desired pressure and then with pump still inserted, turn strut upside down so ball will fall into position. You will see it rolling around in there and then it will fall into lock position. Remove pump tip and valve will be locked.

Post subject: Re: Crossbow from a beginner's perspective
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:35 pm 
Medium Poster

greymage wrote:
As far as bar pressure goes, I'm a windsurfer, so I think all the complaints about bar pressure are pretty funny, it's nothing compared to sheeting in a sail in high wind, or even sailing in light wind without a harness like beginners do.

HAHA.. true enough. We kiters have become bar pressure pussies! I also have a hunch that most of those complaining about the pressure are well over 30..

Also, I've pumped a lot of kites up and find the xbox struts to be a pain in the ass to pump up. You do need to turn the strut upside-down (with the ball falling into the valve) before pulling the pump nozzle out. Kind of pathetic for a 06 kite..

You have hit on the one downside of these new bow kites... It is going to bring a lot of new people into the sport.. juzz kidding (sort of).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Don't bother turning the strut upside down, grab hard at the shoulder of the valve and squeeze the ball, you will block the air or only let the tiniest bit out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey, I'm 52 and I think the bar pressure is not a big deal on my Crossbow 12. Maybe I'm so ecstatic about its performance that I don't notice. These kites are wonderful!

Post subject: bar pressure
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Richard wrote:
Hey, I'm 52 and I think the bar pressure is not a big deal on my Crossbow 12. Maybe I'm so ecstatic about its performance that I don't notice. These kites are wonderful!

totally agree, bar pressure is no issue,

I think the guys that seem to complain have not flown the kites for any real time and have poor riding style, ( fighting the power) ,

ride with the kite and use your extra depower these things are awesome. Had a 2 day session last weekend in waves and its the first time in 6 years of kiting that I was actually able to really surf, no kite pressure, just get onto the face of the wave and use the board.

:thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:23 am 
Medium Poster

spray a bit of silicone spray into the valves, it lubricates, cleans and enables the ball to fall nicely into the hole when you pull the pump out.
i silicone spray everything works great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 pm 
Medium Poster

poor relative wrote:
spray a bit of silicone spray into the valves, it lubricates, cleans and enables the ball to fall nicely into the hole when you pull the pump out.
i silicone spray everything works great

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time I'm out.

Post subject: Valve-Ball seating issues: Cabrinha's sugggestion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:53 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi,

I too have been cursing like a madman at the valve balls on my crossbow and sent a quick email to the company asking about it. Here's what they had to say:

"Your valves work fine, but they need the air to actually back out of the valve in order for them to seat properly. This can easily be achieved by puncturing your pump tube with a paper clip size hole. It won't do enough to slow down the inflation, but it allows just enough air to back out in order for the valve to seat.

Thanks and best regards,

Todd GRÉAUX
Cabrinha"

Thought this might help:

christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:54 am 
Medium Poster

Quote:
HAHA.. true enough. We kiters have become bar pressure pussies! I also have a hunch that most of those complaining about the pressure are well over 30..

Hey! hold on, I'm 48 and rode Switchblades last week for 4 days - 8 to 9 hours a day and posted a review saying I had no idea where the 'bar pressure' issue got started. I never felt any. I was under the impression that most of the complainers were younger guys.
A trick I learned about the stopper ball is: after the final pump downstroke, a small upstroke sucks the ball into place and the tip can be removed with no air loss.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next