All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ocean Rodeo One 12m – Big Island Test.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:54 am 
Frequent Poster

First off, just to be perfectly clear, I’m a Tech Rep for Ocean Rodeo. I still have to pay for my kites, I just get a good deal on them. Those of you that have a problem with this, stop reading now. For the rest of you, here’s what I think of the kite:

OK, got my 12 m One last Wednesday night, and I’ve now had it out for 3 days.

In a word, I’m stoked!

The kite is bombproof – in the last three days I’ve crashed it in the bushes, dumped it in the surf, and generally abused it, no problems at all. Just picking the thing up, it’s solid. Beautiful construction – the recessed scuff pads are great, and I love the pinch valve setup – they actually work. The kite just plain old looks good too.

I was so excited when the kite arrived; I pumped it up on the lawn out in front of our lab – random strangers passing by commented “is that a glider?â€

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:32 pm 
Medium Poster

Nice reivew func.......I spoke with John today I am hoping to mave a 12m in by end of march/ begining of april.....can't wait.. :-)

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:35 pm 
Medium Poster

Here are som more pics....

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/mod ... &pos=-1881

Skypilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

Nice Review Func!

What is your weight?
Any thoughts on the OR One wind/weight graph? Does is seem accurate?

I am very interested in the OR One 12M as a higher wind kite 20kts +.
My lower wind kite is a Crossbow 16.
I weigh 200lbs and would prefer to be on a small board, so trying to ride a 12M with a huge board is not in the cards. If I can't rip on the 12M - I'll pump up the 16.

Have you tried a Crossbow - If yes how does it compare to the One?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

How have you heavier guys found the power of the 12 meter One compared to other 12m bows? Turning speed as good? Power through turns? I'm 195 and would much rather use my large fish surfboards in surf and a 12 meter kite than a small board and a slower turning 16 if possible... Been testing the caution answer, sonics etc. and enjoying them. Looking forward to testing this one in light winds and heavy winds. So far 12 m answer for power through turn on lighter wind waves and 11m sonic for high aspect and higher wind feel. Lots of great kites out there now. This one sounds like it might have a great bottom end with it's flatter shape.
Toys, toys, toys... ohhhhhyeah... everyone around here wants to try them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:06 am 
Medium Poster

Monkey,
what are your typical conditions for kiting......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi BoJangles.
Lots of light wind days mixed with some really good ones. Yesterday was 18 to 35 for a while and then settled down. (Rare excpt spring here occasionally) Ten meter V2 was the kite yesterday in that kind of crazy stuff. We get a lot of the 11 or 12 mph stuff, even as low as ten average with top ends in the 13 to 15 range..ie 9 to 15 with 10 or 11 average. Pretty consistent 14mph average and up stuff during the summer and through spring though. Plenty of 16 mph days. Nice thing about being able to whip a small kite around is the ability to ride that larger board and get great performance in waves. Really surprised what I can get going on with the answer 12. The 14 sonic is fantastic on low end but you give up SOOOO much for speed of kite for wave sailing. Great compared to other kites with that power of course. Don't want a 16 bow for wave appications. Works ok in down the line set ups but not for heaps of our more on shore floating peak beach breaks. The 11 sonic is too small for power at my weight in the light stuff but absolutely rocks when powered properly with a good sized directional. The most power per a 12 meter kite size would be my target... I may be 195 pounds but a 5'10" fish surfboard can really get you going early and cary incredible momentum down the line. Only use tt's on teaching trips in ankle deep water when I want to get knee damage....:^)... We are testing as many bows/sle's as we can to recomend to our students/customers and we do have heaps of heavy guys with the same concerns.

[ 7 posts ]