All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Turbo Diesel Review
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:06 am 
Rare Poster

Having just got back from a 2 week holiday in Barbados I thought I might share my views on the 10m TD that I took with me as it may be some help to those thinking of getting a bow style kite.

Firstly, a quick word to the cynics. I have flown fuels for the past couple of years so a TD was likely to be the obvious choice. Therefore you may say that I have a leaning towards SS in any event. Secondly, I tried to disabuse myself of the notion that since I bought the kite it must be good. I earn enough to go and buy another bow if the TD turned out to be a shocker... Finally I am an intermediate rider. I can stay up wind, do jumps, grabs and rolls but no kite loops or handle pass insanity.

The conditions in Barbados were near on perfect. Consisent 20 knots with waves although the wind could at some stages be a little gusty.

On my first session I took out my 13m 2005 5th line fuel. The conditions were challenging as the wind was at first fairly gusty. The fuel's range is not massive although the 5th line helped.

The next day I decided to give the TD a try. Out of the bag it is, so I was told by a local pro, pretty similar to the CB. I was told to pump the kite up as hard as I could as this would assist in the fight against inversions. The one pump is a very useful feature and the kite seems to be built solidly. The pig tails and bridal are not difficult to rig.

Turning to the bar... It is very simple with really very few features. The most important aspect is a stopper ball which sits above the bar. For those of you who don't know the idea is that pilot slides the stopper ball up and down the line depending on how much available depower he/she wants. There is also an option to trim the kite beneath the bar with a cleat.

Anyway back to the flying. It was 12 meter weather with some fairly large waves. On the water I have to confess that I was not sold immediately. It does feel strange having so much movement, in terms of depower, on the bar. The kite flew quickly as you expect from a 10m.

What I did notice was that if you want the punch from the kite then you really have to sheet in. If you do that then the kite delivers good performance but not fuel style performance.

After a couple more sessions I really began to think that the kite was fantastic. This is mainly due to the amount of depower. If a gust hits you or your apparent wind picks up because you are on a wave then just push the bar away. That sounds like a slogan but was true. A friend who was out on the water with me said that I was able to sail on a consistent tack whereas he, on a fuel, was not since he was at the mercy of the gusts and apparent wind.

In short the kite gave me a great deal of confidence and my riding improved as a result.

In terms of wind range I used the 10m when others were out on 14m c kites. I was not expecting to be powered but couldn't be bothered to go back to the hotel to get my bigger kites. I was surprised when I was perfectly powered.

So in summary:

(1) The kite's depower is great and made me very confident and helped me to improve.

(2) The wind range is very good and makes a 2 kite quiver a possibility

(3) The kite is well built and the bar and stopper ball very good.

However, I don't think that the kite will be for everyone. It took me a while to get used to it but I am very glad that I did. For now I will not be buying another C kite. I will say that I didn't test the safety as there was no need and I haven't flown any other bow so I cannot make comparisions. The kite did not invert and I didn't notice any bar pressure problems. Finally please excuse the typos.

I hope this is useful,

Cheers,

James.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:10 pm 
Rare Poster

Nice Review on the Turbo Diesel.

Now how about an extensive review on Barbados....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:44 am 
Medium Poster

from your experince how would u think a TD 14 0r 16 could be for lightwind?
im looking for a lightwind kite to occopanny my octane 12m :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 am 
Very Frequent Poster

boy
i thought u were ganna buy my machine?!?!?!
its sitting in my garage waiting for ya, ill make a good price for ya :thumb:
dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:20 pm 
Medium Poster

Justin, have a near new (flown thrice) 15m '06 Fuel w/bar just dropped off at Jupiterkiteboarding last night; will cut you a better deal than Sir Slingshot,
his garage is too far north. What does 'occupanny' mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:11 pm 
Medium Poster

i thought u said u already sold it....? to that guy named bill ?
(maybe that was something else?)
dave i still want to demo it come down today! the only way ill have the slightest chance to buy it is to have it hear so my dad can see the sickness!!! wind should be a little light for my octane so i might beable to hold that beast down
hey randy! that fuel sounds sick! what is the windrange on that though?
im looking for a kite that is only gonna be flying in 15 or less mph of wind :-?
ps: its a miracle i passed grammer school Accompany lol :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have flown the 12m turbo diesel twice, mostly underpowered. Once in waves, once on flat water. Really great kite. Love the simplicity of the bar. It will definately fly backwards if you sheet too hard. It rotates on a dime. It doesn't turn - it stops moving and rotates. It also stops pulling while you do this. You really have to be self conscious to not pull too hard when looping it because you'll fall like a rock.

I really like all other aspects of the kite. I'm hoping by tuning with longer back lines that all of these tendancies stop. I'll try it again in bigger winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have flown the 12m turbo diesel twice, mostly underpowered. Once in waves, once on flat water. Really great kite. Love the simplicity of the bar. It will definately fly backwards if you sheet too hard. It rotates on a dime. It doesn't turn - it stops moving and rotates. It also stops pulling while you do this. You really have to be self conscious to not pull too hard when looping it because you'll fall like a rock.

I really like all other aspects of the kite. I'm hoping by tuning with longer back lines that all of these tendancies stop. I'll try it again in bigger winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:22 pm 
Medium Poster

hampton, hampton...you're saying everything twice, i say twice...y plug a kite that's known to invert, you know INVERT. Need i say more.

Come back in a few months and tell us it hasn't inverted on you.

So what was the west indies like then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

docuk wrote:
Come back in a few months and tell us it hasn't inverted on you.

No need to wait a few months..

BLOW THE BITCH UP TO 9PSI

At least 4 TD's at Skylinekitemasters this weekend,
all at full pressure, no inversions.

-Marty 8)

Last edited by Marty on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next