All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: SOF-X Tornado Review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So I got my 12m SOF-X tornado, I wanted the UFO but apparently they don’t have any in stock yet ? So I’m on a waiting list. Just thought I would tell the forum what I think so far of this kite.

I own 2004 Best and Flexifoil kites so I figured its time for an upgrade, I was planning to stick with flexi but the thought of spending about 3k on a quiver doesn’t really appeal to me. I couldn’t resist the SOF-X prices and with the no risk warranty I figured I would try something different.

I paid $580 with shipping for the kite complete with bar lines and a big pump and bag. I ordered by phone and got my kite in a little over a week. I weigh about 200lbs and ride a 130cm LF drop. I have been riding for about 4 years.

Construction:

Basically the same as any other kite I own. All the seems are double stitched, the LE and struts are standard Dacron material and the canopy is polyester rip-stop with some sort of silicone coating. Kite has reinforcements on the trailing edge, LE and wing tips. All the struts and LE are segmented. The kite has a one pump system which works the same as the slingshot system, pumps up fast and hard. Comes standard with a 5th line set up and a little pocket by the LE to put it in if you don’t want to use it. The kite has the typical power and turning adjustment points on the wing tips. The struts and LE are very small compared to my former kites, I would think you would need to use a 5th line. Overall I give construction an A-/B+ better than some but not as good as North or Flexifoil but basically on par with Best and others.

Test :
I only rode this kite once last Friday. 55F weather with about 18- 22 knots of wind on the LI south shore bay. Water is about 40F. No waves just flat water with some chop.

Kite has a good overall feel. Big de-power for a C kite. Very fast turning with light bar pressure felt like a 9m. I wasn’t going crazy with any tricks because the water 40f but from what I can tell hang time is very good. Up wind ability was great . Didn’t get much of a chance to test the low end. Kite is very predictable nothing really to get used to, just does what you want it to do. I rode the kite with the 5th line SOF-X bar which is a very nice bar it has a swivel on top of the chicken loop, and the 5th line leash attachment is in easy reach for re-launch or sheeting on the fly. Bar came with bar floats, similar look and feel to the new Naish bars good light weight carbon construction. Overall I am impressed the Tornado is a great all round kite at a great price. I would recommend it and I would buy another one, but I still want to try the RRD wave2 first. :thumb:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanx for that.
Good to see that I am not the only one raving abot the kite.
Aloha

[ 2 posts ]