All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 16m Caution Answer vs 15m Flexifoil ION: rode both yesterday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

We had a chance after work yesterday to fly the 16m Answer and the 15m Flexifoil ION back to back. Wind graph attached. We started right around 6pm, and stayed out until around 7:45pm. When we first started, the wind was around 7-12mph...then it picked up to around 10-16mph. We were on Slingshot Glides most of the time, and then I switched to a SX 151 when the wind came up to the 10-16mph range. Winds were Sideshore, with a pretty strong current going with the wind(so that didn't help us at all). Here are some comments:

Low end: About the same..we really couldn't tell if one had more power than the other. Both as powerful as a probably a 17m, maybe an 18m C shape kite. Not as powerful as a 16m Crossbow or 16m Switcblade. Those feel more like a 20m C shape at full power

High end: Winds too light to tell...

Speed: Both way faster than most kites in that size range. The Answer was just a little faster, especially when doing a bottom turn. Speed when flipping the kite for a jump...about the same..

Bar Pressure: Again, very close... The Answer maybe a tad less...but not by much. Both very light compared to other bow kites. Sonic, still the lightest of them all. Crossbow, Turbo Diesel, Switchblade, etc.. all heavier than these..

Unhooking: ION fealt a little more stable when unhooking. Not that the Answer was unstable, but it was more solid and just kind of stayed there. With the Answer, it was stable too...but you needed to depower it a little more(pull a few more inches on the depower strap) before unhooking. Both good for unhooked stuff...ION just a little more stable...

Jumping: both good...can't pick one over the other...

Overall....tough call....both great, and we can't really pick one over the other... The Answer seemed a little more like a front line flier(liked a little more front line tension)...and the ION more like an equal line flier...could of been the way we had it rigged it, but that is how they fealt...so, if you like a front line flier, the Answer is a little more closer to that feel... if you don't, then the ION. All in all, either one works.... more to follow when we get more time on them...hopefully this weekend!

More pictures and comments at:

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/phpBB ... .php?t=176

Attachments:
File comment: We were out from 6pm to around 7:45pm
fridaywind.gif
fridaywind.gif [ 21.11 KIB | Viewed 6932 times ]
100_2712 (Small).JPG
100_2712 (Small).JPG [ 28.66 KIB | Viewed 6932 times ]
100_2715 (Small).JPG
100_2715 (Small).JPG [ 13.46 KIB | Viewed 6929 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: 12m answer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:50 pm 
Rare Poster

hello

finally had a chance to fly my 12m answer yesterday in 15-20mph winds. i am an intermediate rider and i used to ride a 16.5 contra, bread and butter kite where i ride. i weigh in at 178 and rode a 125 litewave.

this is my first try with a hybrid kite and i must say i had a blast, this kite has the feel of my c kite, grunty and nice pull. jumping felt almost identical to my c shape. it even looks smaller then a 12m crossbow but i was still powered and keeping a very fast speed that i could never hold on my contra. the turning speed was light speed compared to my contra. in my opinion it turns FAST.

the main negative, for me, is the bar/lines and safety set up. it really seems a bit clunky. it has the old school sheeting out system. my flat mate has a 12m crossbow and i really like his sheeting system and uncluttered bar and lines.

this kite has less of a depower range then the 12m crossbow but it still handled the wind gusts well.

my flat mate was very very impressed with his go at it he said that it jumps and feels like a c kite and has the benefits of a flat kite. he liked the actual bar smaller and more comfortable then his crossbow bar, but the depower and safety systems felt clunky.

not sure how the depower will work in the waves, i flew mine in flat waters. i can only assume that the caution bros put thought into the waveriding aspect as they are hardcore waveriders. it just seems odd not having the full depower of the other flat kites.

again this is my first outing and i have not tried to fine tune it yet so i still may be able to get the full depower range by sheet the kite in.

if anyone can give me some pointers on fine tuning my 12m answer to depower more please advise.

thanx

Attachments:
april 16 windgraph.gif
april 16 windgraph.gif [ 21.57 KIB | Viewed 6719 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:59 pm 
Medium Poster

Just pull the depower strap in just a little, you'll surprised how much it does depower. I think this kite depowers just as much if not more than the other SLE kites, it's just the the bar setup is more normal C kite than flat kite.

Post subject: 12m Answer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:39 pm 
Rare Poster

I had a chance to fly again yesterday and i pulled the depower strap all the way in. you are right it does depower alot more. had a friggin' blast! I was able to self launch which seems to be a very difficult thing to do with the crossbow.

any pointers on how to self land the answer? i'm able to rest the wing tip on the ground, and hold the kite in this position with no pull or fear of powering up but i can't seem to get it to roll over onto the leading edge. very very close several times but i ended up getting someone to grab it. i've read to try an dstrap the bar to my board and bury the board but there is still a little pull and i do not think the board will hold it.

each time fly/ride this kite i'm growing more and more into it. i do like the c kite gruntiness. love the fast turning. amazes me that i can fly this when i'm usually on my 16.5 contra.

cheers.

Post subject: added a one pump system to my 12m Answer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:06 pm 
Rare Poster

hola

i just added a one pump system to my Answer. shaved about 1o miutes off of my set up time! sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

cattlebone, how did you add a one pump system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:36 am 
Medium Poster

yeah,please tell how you added one pump to your answer as i just ordered a 12m & a 16m. does the system add a lot of extra weight and/or affect performance in any way?

Post subject: one pump for the Answer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:45 am 
Rare Poster

here is the guy's email who sold it to me. it will work with any kite. he has one on his crossbow and it flys fine. I have not had a chance to fly mine but it fits snuggly and it doesn't add any significant weight as it is very light.

brett-

kiterbrett@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:44 pm 
Rare Poster

One pump on a answer this I have to see can you post some pics ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

After market one pump?

Smokey

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next