All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: OR One and Mako demoed in NH
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 pm 
Frequent Poster

I got to demo the 16m One and the Mako yesterday (16 Apr) in Seabrook, NH. BIG props to Powerline Sports and Andrew who hosted the demo and even supplied free grub. If you haven't been to a Powerline demo, there's this guy Kitt, who is a competition-level barista...he also shows and cranks out cappacinos and espressos for the crowd--best you've ever had. Period.

Back to the demo.
My stats: Intermediate, about 200lbs and my main setup is a Cabrinha Crossbow 16 and Liquid Force WLF 140. I don't work for any kite-related organization and don't own any OR gear.

Conditions: Side-on with your standard New England swell and plenty of chop (Butter...what the hell is butter?)

Gusty winds that started at 5kts and eventually got to 18 or 20 for a while. You can see the wind charts at:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... &year=2006

The One performed as advertised and the bar is super-sweet. Myself, Jay and Rod (All in the 200lb range) were able to start riding at 8-10kts and once it got to 10+ we were working upwind without a problem.

The only problem I had is when I had accidentally engaged the punch up. I reset it and when Ithe kite powered back up, the chicken loop ripped right out of the harness hook. Took me for a little belly drag, but I was able to regain control without releasing the kite. Had this happened on the water, I could have been looking at a long swim and been out a kite and bar.

When I got back to the group, one of the other riders (who I don't know) saw what happened and said that the same thing happened to him on Wednesday when he was trying Powerline's 12m demo. So, two people, two different kites and bars and exact same problem. Might be something worth checking in to.

The surprise of the day was the Mako. We looked at it on shore and honestly though "so what". But being a demo day we decided to take it out and see if we could break it or otherwise find a reason to give the rep crap about it. The problem is that the board f---ing rocks! It sliced through the ocean chop and was an upwind machine. Everyone who tried it was stoked to the point where no one was talking about the kite! I guess that also says a lot about how easy it is to get dialed into the One, you don't have to think a lot about the kite.

I finally got tired of passing off the One though and pumped up my Crossbow 16. While everyone's back was turned I made off with the Mako for an hour or two and had a blast. A Mako is most definitely going into my quiver. Shwank!

Since I was on a Crossbow, everyone at the demo asked the same question: If I was buying right now, and money were no object, which one would I get? Answer: The CB and One have similar performance but the One has a nicer bar and lighter pressure. My Crossbow has been very good to me, but there's no way to justify paying $300 more--go with the One. (I'll be adding a 12m One to my quiver this year)

Regarding my Crossbow: I've done the bridle mod to decrease the bar pressure (which never really bothered me), but it still has more than the One.

Suggestions to OR:
1. Check out this chicken loop thing. When I get my One, I'll probably do something with the chicken finger to make sure it doesn't pop out.

2. Get as many people as you can to ride the Mako. To be honest, if I were looking at it online or even in a shop, I wouldn't buy one. But after riding it. SOLD!

Last edited by spidermedic on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

10m One ? i know of the 9,12,16 and maybe the 7 if they come out with it. But never heard anything about a 10m

9s,12m,16l

just my 2 cents
tkettlepoint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:34 pm 
Rare Poster

gotta agree on the mako. no hype no reviews but was handed 1 after coming in off my shinn pro. my thoughts were, meet me downwind with my board as it was so narrow. not a bit of it i tore up wind and it was like armchair kitesurfing, smoothed out all the chop. feels like a surfboard underfoot and would like one for waves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:22 pm 
Medium Poster

ya i have a 12m one which is a sweet kite, but with the chicken loop popping out?

Hmm funny you mention it. I have used the kited 7 times now, when I first got it out of the bag I figured if the chicken loop pops that suckers gone and I don't like swimming in winter.

So got out my old shackle from the garage, wiped the dust off, put a bit of rope to secure it to the spreader bar and attatched it to my chicken loop "just in case". Well the sess before last came of the water after a great 3hrs in strong winds and the kite was only attatched to my shackle. Hmmm, up until your comments thought it was just me not putting it on right.

Other wise totally agree, I had a chance to demo a few others and this was my choice.

Lester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 pm 
Medium Poster

Does the mako have much rocker? Is it flexible or stiff?

thanks - paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:23 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey Spidermedic any chance you and your mate were wearing 05 dakine harnesses? Since I have had mine the chicken loop popped off and my rhino 20m bar twice late last summer. Got me thinking, never had this happen with my old darkrider harness (but my back used to be really sore after an hour or so, plus the thing fell apart and it would unclip occasionally riding toeside).

I went out to the garage today and without too much effort both my 5th element chicken loop and the one loop pop off quite easily with a small twist. I then put on my old darkrider harness which has a very different angle on the spreader bar where the chicken loop connects and it was tough to get either one off with any twisting. I have now switched my darkrider spreader bar onto my dakine pyro and think that should work better.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Lester :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:20 pm 
Frequent Poster

The reference to a 10m One was a typo, it was a 16...I've edited it. Thanks.

Regarding the harness, as a matter of fact I do use an 05 Dakine harness. I can't speak for the other fellow though.

Hmmm...interesting...I wonder if others have seen an increase in pop-offs with the 05 Dakines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

lets get photos of the spreader bars? up so we can compare them to others. the problem north had earlier with the iron heart was that also with an 05 dakine harness???

[ 8 posts ]