All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ocean Rodeo 14m Diablo in Seattle
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:49 pm 
Medium Poster

I caught the kite bug when I saw Lou and Elliot blow everybodys minds at the Gorge in 2000. In 2001 I sold my windsurf gear and went over to the "kite side". I weigh 200lbs and love cruising and jumping and learning new strokes and moves. The winds here in Seattle are almost always gusty, and a kite with a broad wind range is a must have. The foils tracking abilitys and smooth linear depower are crucial for making it off the beach safely and staying in control on the water. Good quality construction equals long term durability and many flying cycles- here in seattle the beaches are half sand/rocks and half barnacles and sticks. Its very hard on kites. During my quest for my match, I may have stumbled upon a perfect kite for these crappy conditions- the OR Diablo. Its a new kind of c-type kite with a surprising amount of width in the blended wing tips and a flatter arch in the LE. The size I've used so far is a 14m, but I plan on getting a 21m when they become availible. I compared this 14m up against a 2004 17m fuel on the ground and the 14m seemed bigger.
In the air this Diablo is a tight, stiff, medium aspect, high performance precision flying machine. It pivots on a wingtip and can crawl out of the bottom of the power zone with reduced traction like a bow. You can also tune it so that it pulls like a truck in the sky, rock solid and stable. There are real valves in the bladders, no balls. The struts are reduced diameter and high pressure (9.5Lbs) It responds faithfully to every control input though the stock bar, which is one of the best bars I've ever had the pleasure to use- the safety leash is attached to a spinner on the chicken loop, not to you. it feels like you are leash free, and the spinner allows you to loop your guts out and still be safe.
The kite has a unique front attachment lay out, three positions with 6 tuning knots on each position. Thats 18 different power settings.
From monster truck wake settings to bow-like depower settings.
Re launches easily, get it on its back and pull a back line, whoosh- its up.
My favorite part about this kite is the jumps. you can throw the kite into a power stroke with small inputs on the control bar and then load it up and feel it track slowly towards the apex, then as you begin to descend, the kite easily redirects into a down stroke or loop transition. It really is making a more confident flyer out of me, being able to fly aggressively and not be worried about getting worked by excessive traction during a stroke or trick.
This kite has been a real eye opener, and it seems like its going to easily replace my 2003 16m bronco, 14m Aero2, and a 2004 12m spitfire.
One kite has taken the place of 3. This is amazing.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice review carkreek craig

I am still deciding between the Diablo and the One.

Since you have been flying it now for a while keep me posted on how it continues to perform

Dazza :thumb:

Post subject: Session # 9 on the 14m Diablo
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:21 am 
Medium Poster

Yesterday was a rare butter smooth 23 knot thermal wind. I finally had a chance to push this 14m Diablo to its limits. It ended up throwing me around like I was a little flying squirrel! :o Once you dial in the sweet spot on this kite, so that you have plenty of power for jumping and just enough depower for slashing the shorebreak, then the magic begins to happen! I had the lines set on the front middle pigtail and on the longest knots. The rear lines went to the slow setting. (It still turns on super quick when you put a lot of input into the bar) I ended up pulling in the depower strap about 70%, so I could have shortened the front lines by one knot. Just a small redirection of the kite as you carve upwind and hit the lip of a waist high chop is all it takes to be lifted like you are on a rail gun 30 feet up! Get ready to stay up there awhile, you need to do at least one move to stay stable. It felt like I was traveling at least the length of my lines every time I jumped! I still don't understand how a kite like this, one that can turn on a dime, can track so smoothly and reliably while boosting. :roll: Its really blowing my mind. This kite is also very fast. It punches hard all the way to the edge. I tried to see how fast I could go with this thing and its more than my board can handle for long reaches when I let it run free. But when you hit the afterburner just before a power stroke, holy crap, its just amazing how much traction this thing can generate. :o Add to this the ability to throw the kite dead center down wind while carving a wave and have it wait for your input without running off on you, minimal traction. How can this be possible? I still can't quite get my mind around it, but my body is totally digging it.
A 21m and 14m Diablo for winds to 25+, and a 9m One for the storm winds. This will be my quiver. Three kites instead of 6. I am so looking forward to the 21 and the bow. They are going to change the way I ride the same way this 14 is tranforming me into an airtime, slash monster, speed demon. Diablo is a good name for it. :wink: :bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Carkeek,

nice ride then? What is your rider weight?

you mentioned the 9m one, have you tested it?

Dazza :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:13 am 
Medium Poster

Dazza,
This Diablo is like a brunette with a piercing and a tattoo, a very nice ride! My weight is 200lbs, dry and thirsty, so I'm a big guy. I have not tried or even seen a 9m one. I know it sounds strange, Ocean Rodeo is not far from Seattle, but no one here stocks thier stuff. I came in contact with their kites when I bought a used 2003 Bronco. It ended up being my favorite kite because of its range and durability. Better than my North, Naish, Flexifoil and Caution used kites. I promised myself when I finished my 2 year house remodel that I would buy a new quiver, OR was my number one choice.
All that being said, the One is built up just like this Diablo I'm using, tight , strong and tough. A tight foil can take the gusts and hang in there when the shit hits the fan and not blow up. Plus I think the control bar is a big clue as to how this kite is going to work. No pulleys. I've tried the SS TD 12m, and a Waroo 9m and 16m. A bow with out pulleys just feels better to me, more like the direct feel of a C-type kite. So I liked the Waroo, but noticed the TD behaved much better for freeriding. I'm guessing the One is going to be a well behaved high perfomance bow with a lot of durability. Perfect for the unstable storms that whip though Seattle from September to April, and on the Columbia river as it passes through the Cascade Mountain range. Otherwise known as the "Gorge". 80 miles of river terrain where the wind blows against the current and you have no other choice but to sail down wind if you want to stay where you launched.

[ 5 posts ]