All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naish Shift bar tuning...
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:19 pm 
Rare Poster

Sorry to bring an old topic back up to the top, but I am trying to get my Naish Shift 5 line bar up and running and just wondering what others recommend.

On my old 4 line bar, with the trim strap all the way out (full power), my lines are all the same length when the bar is in against my chicken loop. I notice that my Shift has the lines all the same length when my bar is pulled about half way in. Is this normal? If so, will this cause problems if the bar is pulled in all the way?

I know everyone has there own preferences, but just wondering how other have tuned there bar...

dwb

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
My local Naish rep explained that you should set all lines equal length with the bar a comfortable distance from you (in other words the chicken loop pulled part way). I didn't used to do this, I set all lines equal lenght with the chicken loop resting against the bar ... but then I found myself always riding with the adjustment strap partly pulled in to get the kite to fly right. Now that I do it the recommended way I am left with the full range of adjustment strap when the wind picks up.

Another thing is that most of us shorten the chicken loop length (by retieing the bowline knot at the trim strap end). Otherwise the bar can travel too far away you. This reduces the depower ability of course, but that is what most more experienced riders want to do one handed tricks.

It is all personal preference.
:wink:
Chris Glazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:24 pm 
Medium Poster

@DWB,

Basically you will want to have all lines equal (more or less dependent on make, model, year and size of kite you are tuning the bar to) where you ride with the kite at full power. So, if you enjoy riding with your bar at the Adj Strap knot then this is the location where you have all four lines equal (like your old kite was set up).

The kites are shipped from the factory with full power midway down the chicken loop, midway between the Adj Strap and chicken loop. This location is a good balance between riding position comfort and still having available depower. The down side is that if you pull the bar all the way down to the chicken loop, or unhhook, you will oversheet the kite decreasing it's performance. So to answer your second question, yes, with the factory settings if you pull the bar all the way down to the CL you will oversheet the kite and decrease performance.

The first step in kite tuning should be for you to decide where you want full power to be relative to the bar's location on the CL line...the rest is a fairly simple process.

~Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:57 am 
Rare Poster

good stuff... thanks for all the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:57 am 
Rare Poster

good stuff... thanks for all the help guys!

[ 5 posts ]