All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: tinkering: 5th line on a Waroo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have been playing around with a 5th line on a Waroo 14 in light wind. I don't plan on using it as a safety....I will use a rear line reride safety. In light wind, the rear line reride safety seems to flag it out just like my "C" kites....the kite spirals about 4 times before it hits the water, with the same pull as the 16M "C" kite. I have not used the safety in high or gusty wind yet, so I will reserve judgement on whether or not it is safe. I will use the 5th line mainly for doing a Drift/Fly launch. The kite seems to fly much like my "C" kites do on a 5th line, with no surprizes.....it sits in the sky upside down like a smile. It wobbles a little bit mor than a "C" kite, but seems fine on a 5th line.

Having the 5th line set up as shown in the following pictures, allows me to completely cut loose the 5th line in case of a inside-out wrap of the kite. This setup also allows me to disconnect my rear line reride safety leash, grab the ball, throw the bar, and pull on the 5th line .....if I think that the situation demands the use of the 5th line as a safety rather than the rear line reride. It will be nice to have redundant safety systems.

The Yellow velcrox just lightly holds the ball in place against the "Mickey Mouse" swivel (SlingShot), and keeps it from tangling...but allows the stopper ball (SS) to be grabbed and pulled away from the swivel.

I will post the last 2 pictures in the following thread.

Attachments:
5th, stopper, swivel, velcrox.JPG
5th, stopper, swivel, velcrox.JPG [ 125.19 KIB | Viewed 702 times ]
5th disconnected.JPG
5th disconnected.JPG [ 132.42 KIB | Viewed 702 times ]
5th line free.JPG
5th line free.JPG [ 123.83 KIB | Viewed 702 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

2 more pictures:

Attachments:
5th line in use.JPG
5th line in use.JPG [ 124.59 KIB | Viewed 700 times ]
5th line Velcrox in place.JPG
5th line Velcrox in place.JPG [ 132.9 KIB | Viewed 700 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

Food for thought. You might want to post this on the Best Waroo forum. See if anyone there has also rigged a 5th line on a Waroo and what their experience was.

[ 3 posts ]