All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skimboard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:12 pm 
Rare Poster

I've decided to get my hands on a skimboard, primarily for days with light wind.

I weigh 88kgs and am 1,86m . My biggest kite is a 05 Vegas 14m. I want to use it with a skimboard. What is the minimal wind one could expect for kitesurfing with a skimboard and a 14m with my weight?

Any size recommendations? Are they good on small waves?

Last but not least, can a skimboard primarily used for kitesurfing, be used for skimboarding aswell? Or are the size dimensions different between the two sports?

Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I don't think a skimboard is as good for light wind as a Glide or Spleene Door. You get more low end on a board that is longer and wider. A skimboard is short and wide.

Check out Kitefilm to see Mark Shinn riding a skimboard. He has short fins on the nose and tail. If you do this, the board won't be good for skimboarding on the beach. However, if you don't put fins on, you will be able to use it for beach skimboarding. You need a flat board (no rocker) for skimboarding on the beach. I have not put fins on my skimboard, but I'm planning to do it soon (somewhere arount 3/4" fins).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding regarding skimboards.
Here's the basics.

1. Real skimboards have rocker so you can get from beach onto wave and surf (kiters did not invent adding rocker to skimboards)

2. Skimboards are a great light wind tool.

3. Skimboards do not need fins, in fact fins detract from the boards design

I suggest starting your search at sites below

http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/buy ... boards.htm

http://www.vicskim.com/

http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 am 
Medium Poster

just to be clear to others, you are talking about nose rocker, which is obviously a good thing. it's only bad if you ride the board backwards. the rest of the boards are flat, or almost flat. you want a foam board, not wood. although i have been tempted to buy one of those $30 wood things the size of a skateboard just for kicks. companies that sell skims for kiting are cabal, windwing, underground, nobile. except for nobile, most of these are pretty classic skimboard designs i think that were selected b/c they work well with kites. the nobile is a bit different. if you can't buy one of these near you, look at the dimensions, and get an equivalent from one of the major skim companies. these are not that complicated. i agree that if you want to add straps and fins blah blah, then just get a glide copy and be done with it. small fins could be a good trainer or for waves, but the straps dont make sense. the skim isn't just a good lightwind board, but it's also fun, different, and challenging, and usable in all conditions. if you just want to mow the lawn in the lightest wind possible then do the glide thing. there have been tons of threads--search for more info.

surfingwithkites wrote:
There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding regarding skimboards.
Here's the basics.

1. Real skimboards have rocker so you can get from beach onto wave and surf (kiters did not invent adding rocker to skimboards)

2. Skimboards are a great light wind tool.

3. Skimboards do not need fins, in fact fins detract from the boards design

I suggest starting your search at sites below

http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/buy ... boards.htm

http://www.vicskim.com/

http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/

Post subject: Re: Skimboard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Blaest wrote:
I've decided to get my hands on a skimboard, primarily for days with light wind.

I weigh 88kgs and am 1,86m . My biggest kite is a 05 Vegas 14m. I want to use it with a skimboard. What is the minimal wind one could expect for kitesurfing with a skimboard and a 14m with my weight?

Any size recommendations? Are they good on small waves?

Last but not least, can a skimboard primarily used for kitesurfing, be used for skimboarding aswell? Or are the size dimensions different between the two sports?

Thanks!

52" x 20"

get a Wave skimboard and yes suitable for both.
no skimboard sizes are more dependant on your weight.

http://www.zapskimboards.com to check out the different types..

Usable wind range ???
not sure - I hope to get a skimboard very soon too. :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

gdgorfman :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I own both a Glide and skim...both go upwind about the same...in fact the skim might be a bit better in the flat stuff, but even in the choppy water the skim held it's own against the Glide.

I would say at your weight 10knots would be doable and tons of fun. Good luck!

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

gbgreen59 wrote:
I don't think a skimboard is as good for light wind as a Glide or Spleene Door. You get more low end on a board that is longer and wider. A skimboard is short and wide.

Check out Kitefilm to see Mark Shinn riding a skimboard. He has short fins on the nose and tail. If you do this, the board won't be good for skimboarding on the beach. However, if you don't put fins on, you will be able to use it for beach skimboarding. You need a flat board (no rocker) for skimboarding on the beach. I have not put fins on my skimboard, but I'm planning to do it soon (somewhere arount 3/4" fins).

Get a 666 EXT if u want to ride fast in lowwind, it has way more surface than the Nobile skimboard and it cuts through chop! while a skim doesn't cut as much because the board isn't exactly thin(tested it side by side with my nobile skimboard yesterday).

If all u wanna do is ride the 666 EXT will be sweet, since u can't do any real jumps in that wind anyway and it is a huge board to do rotations...

I prefer the Skimboard since u have a different experience (slower riding, more boardcontrol needed etc)

gbgreen59 wrote:

I think u definitely need fins if u plan on skimboarding in the sea though (need the grip for when u ride it flat to go over waves etc).

Depends on how deep the water u want to ride in really is offcourse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:18 am 
Rare Poster

i've just got 1 of those cheap wood ones that u can buy for like 20 or 30 bucks. its goes heaps good. i way 50 kilos and can get going on my 9 metre switchbalde in 8 knots with the outgoing tide in the rivermouth :D

[ 9 posts ]